The Morrison Spring Cavern Project

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here are a few surface shots from our Vortex trip today...

Gear.jpg

Vortex-1.jpg

BillVortex.jpg

ANything from underwater? :D

Edit: I guess I should have checked the last page first!

Maybe infinite focus isn't ideal? Hmmm

Bill and I had that very discussion...wondering at what point the infinity setting might be working against us.

Maybe infinite focus isn't ideal? Hmmm

Does Bill's port have the ability to focus manually? I know the dark doesn't really get along with the E330s AF, but seems like you could probably achieve a decent focus manually with the LiveView image.

I think the lighting worked perfectly fine.

Nice shots guys!

The pics are a little grainy and I can't figure out why they are not sharper than they are. I'll be doing some research to see what can help (if anything) these two issues. The composite brings out much more detail than any of the three pictures on their own. I'm pretty happy with the results all-in-all.

What film speed are you using? Drop it down to 100 (or lower if possible) You may have to increase your exposure time, but it's more than worth it to lose the grain. I'd say open your aperture more, but I think it's as wide as you can get it for a shot like that without introducing blur around your focus point. If you have image stabilization on your cam or lens, did you remember to deactivate it for the tripod?

He can focus manually, I know he would have to hook something else up to his housing....but I think it is do-able. What do you say Yoda?

We were pretty happy with how the lights worked out. I did a lot of swimming up and down the run...it was good practice for frog kicking without stirring up silt.:D
Our first dive the lights were not really filling the cavern. So, we made adjustments and started quickly painting the walls with light...this seemed to work better.

The can light that you have....how many watts is it...is it 10W? I really think some strong can lights are going to be necessary to really paint the cavern at Morrison. I would like to see how many of those lights we could get lined up for the day of the shoot. My small Intova 3W did really well....but the size of Morrison's cavern will be a whole different story.

All in all we felt it was a success...got two dives in, tested equipment, got a descent picture result, and got a meal at Sallys!

Does Bill's port have the ability to focus manually? I know the dark doesn't really get along with the E330s AF, but seems like you could probably achieve a decent focus manually with the LiveView image.

I think the lighting worked perfectly fine.

WOW!!! Great Pix!!!! Looks like we will have some nice pix to view in the future... :)

All we need are Picnic tables and the county to approve the certificate from the person they will need to hire to test the water in the shower/bathroom building..... Ok, I'll stop. One day we'll look back on this wait and say..... Awe never mind. I'll keep waiting! Maybe we should ALL show up for the shoot OPEN or NOT! :)

My can light is a 10w, with the vis in Morrison, it will clear across to the opposite side of the cavern.

We want to try a few different approaches with the lights. We want to get a few shots painting the cavern with the lights. But, we would also like to try and get the lights down low, and pointing up the cavern walls to the ceiling. We also want to put the camera in a few different locations. Since the cavern is so large....putting the camera in different places..down low shooting up, up high shooting down, etc. would give us some different perspectives.

It would be nice if we could line up three or four 10 watt can lights for the day.

Anyone out there have a light they want to bring? I know we don't have a date yet...but it would be good to see how many we have available.

My can light is a 10w, with the vis in Morrison, it will clear across to the opposite side of the cavern.

I have two hid's (10w).... May not be able to dive this project, depending on the day it is held.... day job thing going on. but my lights are in. Me too if possible

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom