The Morrison Spring Cavern Project

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think if you've got the group and equipment together, why not try all methods.

you can always review the pics later on land and find out which works best. You won't know for sure anyway until you get back topside.

I still say have a couple divers with predetermined areas to light up with strobes, and have a couple divers paint the walls from outside the frame all together(to keep from having hot spots or the possibility of them accidentally aiming too far towards the camera - leaving a light trail).

My sunpak is optically fired so as long as it can see the flash from my wired strobe it does not need to be held by anyone. It could be placed behind a rock pointing at a wall somewhere. It has a test mode that fires (when charged) as you turn off the strobe. We might get a couple or three flashes out of it during a 60 second exposure (if held by someone).

That would be Monday, December 1st? Problem is that Bugman will probably have to work? I am thinking we will have to use Vortex Cavern or Cypress for our tests. Any chance you have some time off BEFORE Thanksgiving....a weekend day? If not, maybe we will have to arrange a weekday trip up to Vortex?? Maybe we can get a few folks to meet us there to man some lights.
How are we going to attach the tripod to the bottom of the Ike housing? Mine has two screws that attach the handle to the housing but no tripod mount.

No weekend days open on the schedule but Monday the 24th is open. If you're just crazy about diving we could go and spend the whole day playing with cameras. Just past the Grim Reaper sign should be dark enough. If you wanted to make sure it was dark, we could hit Sally's for dinner and then do a night dive. Silt might be settled better by then.

I'll probably go even if you can't. I need to play with this thing a little before we have the day of the big shoot.

How are we going to attach the tripod to the bottom of the Ike housing? Mine has two screws that attach the handle to the housing but no tripod mount.

Yes, my Ikelite housing is the same way. I am going to try and rig some type of clamp on it...I might try to rig a some type of bungee...that way it could be used by your camera or mine. I still do not have the housing for my G10 yet. Ikelite hasn't finished it production on them yet. So, I will have to use my current camera.

No weekend days open on the schedule but Monday the 24th is open. If you're just crazy about diving we could go and spend the whole day playing with cameras. Just past the Grim Reaper sign should be dark enough. If you wanted to make sure it was dark, we could hit Sally's for dinner and then do a night dive. Silt might be settled better by then.

Actually that sounds good to me....lets make a day of it. I will arrange my schedule so I can be at Vortex for the day. I think being there for some day and night shots is good....and a trip to Sallys is always a good idea.

Anyone else want to hit Vortex this Monday??

I have two Ikelite strobes that will fire when your flash fires...if I can point the slaves at your flash. It will take someone holding them...they detach very easily from the tray like I am sure yours does.

If it is just you and me Monday, you can start the shutter and I could swim down one side and fire flashes...we could try another one and I could try it with some lights.

What kind of memory card does your camera use? I can bring my laptop and download the pictures from your camera.

My sunpak is optically fired so as long as it can see the flash from my wired strobe it does not need to be held by anyone. It could be placed behind a rock pointing at a wall somewhere. It has a test mode that fires (when charged) as you turn off the strobe. We might get a couple or three flashes out of it during a 60 second exposure (if held by someone).

I could probably be there Monday if ya'll would like another hand and Light.
I have a Dive Rite SunSpot 10w with the adjustable head that you can make wide.

It would be great if you could make it Gary. The light would be great also. I think some combination of lights and flashes are going to be the key to this working. Let us know if you can make it.

GLENFWB:
Yes, my Ikelite housing is the same way. I am going to try and rig some type of clamp on it...I might try to rig a some type of bungee...that way it could be used by your camera or mine. I still do not have the housing for my G10 yet. Ikelite hasn't finished it production on them yet. So, I will have to use my current camera.
I'll be thinking about the mount and may-be work something of my own up on the weekend.

GLENFWB:
Actually that sounds good to me....lets make a day of it. I will arrange my schedule so I can be at Vortex for the day. I think being there for some day and night shots is good....and a trip to Sallys is always a good idea.
OK, what time do we want to get there?

GLENFWB:
I have two Ikelite strobes that will fire when your flash fires...if I can point the slaves at your flash. It will take someone holding them...they detach very easily from the tray like I am sure yours does...
Are your strobes rigged with optical sensors? Pointing them AT my strobe may not be such a good idea :D. If your strobes can pick up the ricochet from my strobe they should fire OK. We could prop them up on the bottom and point them toward the walls - like I will do with my sunpak. The sunpak rarely goes with me on dives anymore, I'm just too afraid it will leak. I don't even have an arm attached to it. I use it mostly for land photography to keep it safe.

GLENFWB:
If it is just you and me Monday, you can start the shutter and I could swim down one side and fire flashes...we could try another one and I could try it with some lights...
We can try several combinations to see how things come out. We might discover some interesting "effects" to use on the real project :D.

GLENFWB:
What kind of memory card does your camera use? I can bring my laptop and download the pictures from your camera.
The E-330 uses a compact flash and XD card. I've got an all-in-one reader we could plug into your computer if we need it. What software do you have? The E-330 files in RAW are Olympus RAW. I could take high quality JPEGs if your software doesn't convert the Olympus RAW.

algulfdiver:
We can use all the light we can get! I've got just my UK SL6 that has a pretty tight beam.

Glen said he had PSE3 earlier, I believe that program has Adobe Camera Raw with a new enough version(if he's updated) to support Olympus E330 RAW files. Shoot RAW will give you the highest degree of editting potential.

Photoshop Elements 5.0 is what I have. I have Adobe Premiere Elements 3 for video editing. I have not been able to find any RAW processing features on Photoshop Elements yet. I use the Canon program Digital Photo Professional to convert picture from RAW to JPG. I don't really have to use Photoshop when I use the Canon program because it will do most of the same type of editing. Not sure if that program will read the RAW files that Bill's camera writes.

I will bring my laptop and we will see what we can get to work.

Glen said he had PSE3 earlier, I believe that program has Adobe Camera Raw with a new enough version(if he's updated) to support Olympus E330 RAW files. Shoot RAW will give you the highest degree of editting potential.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom