The Importance of Logging your Dives. The Advantages for new divers (and old)

How do you prefer to log your dives?

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I love logging dives with all the technical details and possibilities in Subsurface, but still I like to have a paper log book on my shelf, wich is why I export the dives from Subsurface to TeX and print those and put those in a small binder. I have been doing this for more than 20 years (with my own predecessor to Subsurface which while ago got assimilated into that program).

I like paper. I started with the PADI logbook I got with my OW course, then when that was full I ordered some "custom" logbook pages from divelogs.com. (They're not really customizable; they just have a lot of options and really user-friendly decision tree software that leads you to one result instead of having to scroll through thousands.)

I note total dive time rather than bottom time, and now that I have a computer that tells me the water temperature at the surface and at depth I note both, along with air temp/ weather, exposure protection, and how warm I was. I calculate and record RMV and try to make note of anything that might have influenced it; since my computer now tells me my SAC rate in real time, I also sometimes note high and low points to get a better picture of what the whole-dive average represents. I've learned that beach diving means a really high SAC rate at the start, probably from the exertion of walking from my car to the water in full gear (and often a long surface swim.) I note the critters I saw and my buddies, and anything new I learned or things I struggled with. I don't bother with signatures or stamps anymore; I write a lot and want as much space as I can get. Sometimes I spill over onto a second page.

I haven't been very motivated to upload my dive profiles from my computer. I feel like I should do that too, but it feels like a chore whereas writing by hand is somehow fun. I'm 36 and have had a personal computer in the home since age 7 and a cell phone since age 18, for what that's worth.

I stopped logging dives a long time ago. The time it takes to do so necessarily interferes with my post-dive beer consumption protocol. :)

I like paper. I started with the PADI logbook I got with my OW course, then when that was full I ordered some "custom" logbook pages from divelogs.com. (They're not really customizable; they just have a lot of options and really user-friendly decision tree software that leads you to one result instead of having to scroll through thousands.)

I note total dive time rather than bottom time, and now that I have a computer that tells me the water temperature at the surface and at depth I note both, along with air temp/ weather, exposure protection, and how warm I was. I calculate and record RMV and try to make note of anything that might have influenced it; since my computer now tells me my SAC rate in real time, I also sometimes note high and low points to get a better picture of what the whole-dive average represents. I've learned that beach diving means a really high SAC rate at the start, probably from the exertion of walking from my car to the water in full gear (and often a long surface swim.) I note the critters I saw and my buddies, and anything new I learned or things I struggled with. I don't bother with signatures or stamps anymore; I write a lot and want as much space as I can get. Sometimes I spill over onto a second page.

I haven't been very motivated to upload my dive profiles from my computer. I feel like I should do that too, but it feels like a chore whereas writing by hand is somehow fun. I'm 36 and have had a personal computer in the home since age 7 and a cell phone since age 18, for what that's worth.
I have used one of the standard DiveLogs pages for almost 16 years, 1830 dives. They are very easy to archive in available binders, I currently have 5 binders, starting on my 6th. I am so used to the pages that they take very little time to fill out and capture a lot of information. There is some duplicate data on each sheet, from both my Oceanic VT3 and my Shearwater Teric. As opposed to @Esprise Me I also download my dives and keep a spreadsheet summary :). I also use dive time rather than bottom time.

upload_2020-7-7_15-45-45.png

@Scuba Lawyer I often combine my logging with my beer consumption protocol, works out very well :)

I have always kept paper logs because I like to go back and read about some of my older dives, but now after a few "I almost lost my dive book" experiences throughout the years, I think I might give Subsurface a try.

That is one of the many things I like about Subsurface - the free Cloud storage for my log. If I lose my phone, tablet, and laptop all tomorrow, when I get my new ones, I can install a fresh Subsurface and supply my Cloud credentials and have my log back on all my devices.

If the Subsurface Cloud storage goes away, I have a copy of the source code and the local copy of my log (1 copy on each device - automagic, via Cloud). I don't have to use the Cloud. The auto synchronization just makes it convenient.

I figure there's pretty much no chance of losing my log...

I note total dive time as well. With shore diving it's hard to figure traditional bottom time. I may wander from 30' to 15' and back to 30'. Not that it matters.
I find I average a little under 30 mins. per dive, due to those short 20 minute winter dives diving wet.

I'm surprised that nowadays paper log leads the vote. It is not what I assumed in talking with people and reading.

I'm with you on that one. I really thought the digital log book would have taken over. Could it be because none of the digital apps make data entry easy?

I'm with you on that one. I really thought the digital log book would have taken over. Could it be because none of the digital apps make data entry easy?

I think it's more to do with the SB crowd. We're not your "normal" divers. I think that's been shown on multiple occasions. Not a negative thing, just different...:confused::rain::):clearmask:

I find Subsurface to be pretty easy/flexible as long as your device/hardware is supported. The software that came with my DC was a bit of a kludge. All IMHO, YMMV.

Or it is redundant if you use a paper log. My download allows additional information, I do not use it. The download is most useful for the dive profile, checking individual points on the dive, the visual display of depth over time and the calculated values..

I stopped logging dives a long time ago. The time it takes to to do so necessarily interferes with my post-dive beer consumption protocol. :)
Definitely this!!! Combined with dumping photos and videos off my GoPro to share with the other divers. "Look at my log of the dive", just doesn't work as well. :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom