The Importance of Logging your Dives. The Advantages for new divers (and old)

How do you prefer to log your dives?

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I learned to dive in 1978 not only before dive computers, but before personal computers!

Well... maybe before personal computers made it to your hemisphere.... We did have them here by '78.... Just barely.

:):cheers:

I'm surprised that nowadays paper log leads the vote. It is not what I assumed in talking with people and reading.
I do both digital and paper, just in case zombie apocalypse comes... In all seriousness, I get something different from both. I like collecting actual stamps and write down my notes. My memory works in such a way, that when I write it down it commits to long term memory a lot better, and then when I look back it refreshes things quicker. I like the digital log for statistics. It calculates RMV (so I don’t have to :) ) and shows the map of all the dive sites...

I do both digital and paper, just in case zombie apocalypse comes...

Right. The zombie apocalypse dive charter operation might want to see your log but not have the electricity to let you show the digital version.

It could happen!

:wink::wink::D:D

I learned to dive in 1978 not only before dive computers...
Analog dive computers were available, starting in 1959, with the SOS Automatic Decompression Meter SOS DCP: bendomatic or game changer? | Vintage Scuba Diving

Digital dive computers were not commercially available until the early 1980s, with the DecoBrain in 1983 and then the Orca Edge in 1984

I did not have my first dive computer until 2002. My paper logs go back to 1997, as do my spreadsheets. I have electronic downloads since 2002.

I log all of my dives. I sync them from my dive computer to Mac Dive, which then syncs to the cloud so the data is available on all my devices. It also stores all my cert cards so when a dive shop asks I can just show them the DM card and/or Nitrox, Solo, etc. I find it very convenient.

The last dive I logged was in my OW certification 46 years ago. For me logging dives is not worth the trouble.

I also use Subsurface for downloading and logging dives. I used to do both digital and paper, but now use Subsurface only. Since I use an AI DC, it is much quicker and more accurate than paper logs. As others have said, I can put in any info about the dive I want and make it as detailed or generalized as I deem necessary. I haven't logged a dive on paper in quite some time.

At a minimum, I download my dives to Diving Log and add the GPS coordinates of the site. I usually manage to jot down some notes about the dive and the site. I try hard - but often fail - to write the same log on paper since I thoroughly distrust the longevity of digital media and only trust physical media.

That reminds me, I have a backlog to handle...

I have always kept paper logs because I like to go back and read about some of my older dives, but now after a few "I almost lost my dive book" experiences throughout the years, I think I might give Subsurface a try.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom