Votes: 2 3.8%
  • baby shampoo

Votes: 8 15.4%
  • other

Votes: 16 30.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HaoleDiver:
Plain ole spit works fine, and its free, and theres no need for extra tubes or bottles.

Mine doesn't. I have tried a few times to spit on my mask, and it continues fogging up just 5 min into the dive, so I have given up on it, and try not to forget the little magic shower bottle.

Walter, thanks again for the tip on letting the soap dry, I tried it and it works beautifully, as you said.

Be sure, if you use toothpaste, it is the "smooth" kind - without any abrasives that can scatch the lens. Or don't rub too hard when you apply it.

Regarding spit - some work, some don't. My wife's seem to just encourage fogging, while mine works like a champ. Of course, this means I have to have enough for 2 masks if we dive together... I realize this is way too much info, but it hopefully will explain why some people find that their's don't work...

I use shaving cream, do it a day or two before planning a dive to let it air out if your eyes are sensitive. Also works good for the mirrors in the bathroom, last for quite awhile.

haha bad choice of words, anyways so here is the deal, i was wondering what mask defogger everyone uses or if some of you prefer the old fashioned spit method. i personally use the psi 500 and love it so far. some of my buddies use the sea drops but i was just wondering.

I go for old fashioned, CHEAP, spit - but, at the start of every dive day i wash the inside with toothpaste until it's squeeky clean. Before each dive I 're-spit'. Don't have any problems at all with fogging if I follow this routine.

I am a very warm water diver though, wonder if those of you in the cold face worse problems with fogging?

Scuby Dooby:
I am a very warm water diver though, wonder if those of you in the cold face worse problems with fogging?
Spit works just fine in cold water, so long as it's still liquid. The water, that is. Folks intent upon commercial solutions find that 500 PSI or diluted baby shampoo work well, too.

i like the 500 psi so far, actually i like any defog. when i first started no amount of defog would help me because i would be so tense underwater and i am a fatty so i get hot and sweaty anyways which of course fogs up my mask. now days its much better and i am more comftorable putting water in my mask to clear the fog so that works as well. it is good to see a lot of people just using spit.

I use any gel toothpaste, works just as well as 500 PSI but leaves your mask smelling minty fresh :)

Spit is a bad idea, you know all those sayings about how dirty your mouth is? Do you really want that in your eyes, or for that matter, spit all over your face?

Ben

OneBrightGator:
I use any gel toothpaste, works just as well as 500 PSI but leaves your mask smelling minty fresh :)

Spit is a bad idea, you know all those sayings about how dirty your mouth is? Do you really want that in your eyes, or for that matter, spit all over your face?

Ben
Umm, most folks rinse the spit out, Ben... :54:

I got a free bottle of 500 psi with my mask (aka "smurf spit" or "that blue s***), and it works fine for me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom