Votes: 2 3.8%
  • baby shampoo

Votes: 8 15.4%
  • other

Votes: 16 30.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Saliva is sterile - however, your mouth is not. As soon as the saliva enters your mouth, it is no longer sterile. So, it all depends where your mouth has been lately...

I've spit in my mask for over 20 years without issue (and I've dove with pres. lenses, soft contacts, etc) and never had an issue. However, different people have different sensitivities, so if you feel like saliva is causing problems (you do rinse it out, don't you?), the use one of the commercial products (any soap - toothpaste, shaving cream, baby shampoo - will do, best to let it dry overnight and rinse well)...

OneBrightGator:
I use any gel toothpaste, works just as well as 500 PSI but leaves your mask smelling minty fresh :)

Spit is a bad idea, you know all those sayings about how dirty your mouth is? Do you really want that in your eyes, or for that matter, spit all over your face?

Ben

Hmmmm . . . I also remember all of those old sayings about knowing where your fingers have been when you proceed to smear that expensive gunk onto your lens with them!

I'm quite partial to the straight baby shampoo. Although not as cheap as your own spit, much cheaper than the commercial anti-fog stuff and works much better. Not to mention smells much better too!!!

Laurel- The Frog Queen
:froggy:

cheap ...

avaialble in almost any local store in any remote location in the world ...

other uses
... desmelling wetuits
... gentle on the hair

scubabunny:
Invest in a safety sausage (or bright lift bag) AND a whistle. While the captain should be able to see you in high seas...he will be able to hear you better.

Stock up on Febreze, Simple Green and LOTS of Vinegar (don't think there is anything in diving that vinegar can't cure!)

And, most importantly...don't ever think you have all the gear you could possibly need or want ("want" being the key term here :wink: ) Set up a special "diving fund" now..before its too late!!
I wondered, being a newbie, what those three items are useful for.... the vinegar i've heard prevents/ minimized rashes from jellyfish (i just got a SPF cream that has some anti-jellyfish ingredient in it.... so i'll try that too... since I don't hae a wetsuit yet....)

But I'd love a bit more info....

thanks,
S

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom