Votes: 2 3.8%
  • baby shampoo

Votes: 8 15.4%
  • other

Votes: 16 30.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've got agree with ScubaK-Dawg on this one. We use the same mixture here at the UAT and we've never had an ounce of trouble with foggy masks. Nor have we ever had a trainee complain about the mix hurting theirs eyes. It's also a health thing here. Sure our tank is chlorinated, but having hundreds of trainees a year spit in our masks/tank is still nasty. I personally only spit in my mask when i've left my bottle of "Imported Norweigen Baby Whale Spit" at home.

The best I have found so far is the BodyShop shower gels: my favourites are the mango and coconut scents, and they never have bothered my eyes. I had read about the Johnson shampoo, but the BodyShop shower gel is even better, IMO:
just one drop of it spread in the mask undiluted (as Walter says), clear it with water and you have a de-fogged mask for an hour or so with a wonderful scent.

"just one drop of it spread in the mask undiluted (as Walter says), clear it with water and you have a de-fogged mask for an hour or so with a wonderful scent."

Now start with a dry mask, let the soap dry in the mask and it'll last all day instead of just an hour.

Walter:
Now start with a dry mask, let the soap dry in the mask and it'll last all day instead of just an hour.

Thanks for reinforcing the tip, Walter, I'll try that next time.

On the sad side of things... I just went to the BodyShop in Gatwick airport yesterday and they seem to have discontinued the "Juice It" Shower gels that I like so much ... I am trying the new line of shower gels on my mask next week. Wish me luck.

I have heard that a cut potato rubbed on the glass will keep the fog out. It must be the starch I guess.

A local dive charter on Lake Michigan claims Barbasol shave cream to last all day. They keep a can on the boat, though I haven't used it yet. I have used J&J Baby Shampoo and Crest Cool Mint Gel and spit, all with good results.

Mike

actually anything that can dissolve grease or fat is OK...
spit has a pH factor over 7 (I think in english this is called "a base" which is sort of like oposite of acid) and as such is a good cleaning solution, moreover it is at the same temperature as your body (so your face doesn't make too much moisture because of temp. difference), and it is your body fluid so it won't reacte with your skin...
every soap is also over pH 7 and does the same job (it is also kind to your skin) but with a nicer smell :)
tooth paste has the same features...

I hope I got all this right since my english in chemistry terms is VERY bad...

Keep in mind that spit is not poluting the water, all other things do...

One of the dive magazines did a review on all the defogs and concoctions and one they found to work very well was Crest Cool Mint Gel. FWIW.
RCS

Plain ole spit works fine, and its free, and theres no need for extra tubes or bottles.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom