The Great local dive shop vs. online debate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ferrara-
I agree that it is not fair to monopolize a dive shop's time and efforts and then buy online. I have put my efforts into getting information from the Scubaboard-it tends to be unbiased and it doesn't take dive shop owners time.

I also agree that it is a conflict of interest to train and then to sell to divers-especially when there is so much economic pressure-in the "loss leader" model- on the dive shop doing the training to sell their equipment.

In a model where dive shops only do the dive instruction then there would be no conflict of interest. Dive shop could just charge the true cost of the instruction-which no doubt would be more, but it would also be independent. And since the internet is penetrating more and more homes it makes sense that the LDS is going to suffer a greater and greater loss of sales as it is. And a dive shop could charge whatever the market could bear for things like air fills. Service wouldn't be viewed as a secondary item-just to get customers into the store - but as the primary reason the dive shop exists.

The problem arises when future divers are told that they will recieve "free" instruction if they buy a certain dive equipment package-for twice the price of what it would cost on the internet. People just like thinking they are getting a good deal-but they are not.

I hope it changes I'm tired of paying so much for dive equipment and tired of looking at $200.00 fins everytime I walk into my LDS.

You made some good points there and I agree with you to some extent. However for those that go into a dive shop knowing they aren't going to buy there, try on a wetsuit, get recommendations on it and then buy online... that's just wrong. The bad part is this... when I call around or walk in to a few local shops I almost feel guilty asking the price. It seems that almost immediately they get this attitude or lack of interest in my sale. This has only happened a couple times I guess, but you can definately tell that there is some serious tension at local dives shops and some real frustration toward people buying online. I guess I'm not here to keep the local dive shop open for business by making myself go broke, that's not going to help anyone. Most items I can get fairly close to online prices, and those I do buy from my LDS... but when a computer is $399 at my LDS and $249 online, guess where I am going to buy it. On the same token, if a wetsuit is $499 at my LDS and $299 online, I will probably buy it at my LDS because I have no idea what size I need. This topic could go on forever, or at least until there is some sort of common ground that is met between online and local dealers. It's just way too convenient to type in www.someonlinediveshop.com and buy something on your lunch break.

I agree Camper-

I was looking at dry suit at my LDS. I asked if I could try it on in their pool. The incredibly rude salesperson said "Oh, no. It's brand new. I would have to sell it as used after you tried it on in the water" I said "That's ridiculous, I pay %50 more here than I would online and I don't get to try it on?....What's the difference between the two?" And if I tried the thing on I would sweat like a pig in it anyhow. Personally I would rather buy a suit that someone tested in a pool and found out was waterproof than a suit someone put on and walked around the dive shop sweating stinking up in for an hour.

The salesperson at this particular dive shop is the worst I have ever met-in sales in general. I still can't believe the owner(who I like) still employs him. I leave when he arrives and so does my money.

Murdock325-

You can do a lot of shipping for a $200.00 price difference in wetsuits. I bought my wetsuit online, it costs $40.00 to ship one that fit and ship the other one back. Net Savings: $85 over the cost of a dive shop. Self Satisfaction: Priceless.

......but then it was no Mares Isotherm Millenium "T" with flatlock stitching and ankle and wrist dams - not to mention velcro collar and rear entry dry zipper!!!!!!!!!!! Like some newbies can afford!

HAHAHAHA.

Have you been trying on your dive equipment in the living room yet??? That's the final sign that you are in scuba "way too deep"

Right now my checkbook really wishes I would have bought more online. The more I think about it, the more I realize that the LDS didn't really care about ME as much as I thought. I bought a $499 semi-dry from them and they charged me $8.99 for a hanger! That kind of ticked me off, and ever since then I have not bought one thing from them and probably won't until I need air and then servicing on my regulator once a year. I fell into that "Buy a scuba package and get a free class" trick... really regretting it now. I don't think I got a bad deal, maybe you can tell me?

ScubaPro KnightHawk - $469 (with Air2)
ScubaPro Mk16/G250HP Regulator - $350?
ScubaPro TwinJets (Hi-Vis Yellow) - $189
Tusa Liberator Mask - $39
Genesis Mojave Snorkel - $39

I'm pretty sure I got taken for a ride like a 18 year old blonde female looking for a new car, right?

These prices are estimated because there were no prices on anything and he gave me a 'package deal' and took off an extra 15% for buying on impulse before the class.

Originally posted by buff
Have you been trying on your dive equipment in the living room yet??? That's the final sign that you are in scuba "way too deep" [/B]

My God... almost every day! I even put anti-fog on my mask and siliconed everything... I've got the fever pretty bad.

All very good points, but…
To be honest I plead guilty to not having enough stock to let everyone try on a bc in their size. I don’t have one of everything in every size in rental so they can try it in a pool. I also plead guilty to letting discouragement get the better of my attitude at times.

When it is possible I will let a customer try a bc in a pool. Then they try another and another. When they have finally wore me out, they point out how much cheaper they can get it online. We can do some of these things for people but the inventory costs the pool costs yada yada yada. You can’t have it for free because I can’t provide it for free. We are a show room for the distributor and the online merchant.

We are turning into a mail order house ourselves. As time goes on I have less and less inventory. I order, as I need it. For the amount I sell and the length of time I have to hold inventory it just doesn’t pay. We sell masks, snorkels, fins and 10 or so full sets of equipment per year. 90% is to students. The other 10% is snorkel gear to people going on vacation. The walk-ins just want to see and try the stuff before ordering online.

We are transitioning more and more into a diving school rather that a dive shop. We are trying to adjust prices accordingly but it’s a slow process.

Originally posted by boomx5
...I went to divers warehouse website and found the same regulator for $290.00!...
Scott

Scott,

Before you get too excited at the prices at Divers Warehouse, keep in mind that they are in Pounds, so the price is more like US$410. I was pretty excited looking at the prices, too, but some of them looked too good to be in dollars, and of course it turns out the shop is in the U.K.

Chris

Originally posted by Murdock325
Right now my checkbook really wishes I would have bought more online.
Mine too. I bought my wetsuit, boots, gloves and hood online as well as some accessories but bought all my life support gear at the LDS. The upside is that I feel better knowing I can get my gear serviced locally with a short drive to the shop and not get hassled or get the cold shoulder from the LDS. The downside is that I paid at least a third more for my TX-50 and Vyper than what I would of paid had I bought them online.

Chris,
Point well taken, at the time I looked it up I was in a big hurry and forgot to do the conversion. But even at $200.00 dollars less it is still a much better deal than the price of my LDS. I even worked them down from their list price of $675.00. If I had not asked, and I had walked in with a wod of cash in my pocket, I would be out alot of extra money.
Scott

Back
Top Bottom