The Great local dive shop vs. online debate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I know when I ran an archery shop we were getting about 15-20 dollars and hours for service. What is the rate for scuba gear? And how often do you charge it. It sounds like everything is normally under warrenty.

Ferrera - I'm pleased to read that you recognize the "value" that a LDS must offer and hope area divers respond in kind. I can't say that I have observed that value in some of the LDSs I've shopped (or not shopped in other instances), but then I don't live in Indiana!

Your observation re offering that value of consultation without any charge, only to have the customer go off and purchase the item from an Internet vendor. This raises an interesting question for our merry group, perhaps worthy of its own thread:

After doing your research/seeking consultation through a LDS, do you then make the purchase at the LDS or do you use an Internet-based or telephone-based vendor?

I've never inspected goods at an LDS and then bought over the web. I think it's unethical.

Doesn't stop me from doing my own web based research and buying off the web though!

Not to beat a dead horse anymore!!!:(

If the on-line diveshops are selling that cheap 50% off than they may not be offering warranties for the products. Possibly they are back dooring the stuff. I would be leary on the future service, if you shop only on price you will be selling yourself short on the benefits of buying at home!! Dive shops need our support and we need them!!!:p

If you paid $800 usd for a s600/mark25 combo that is too much my local dive shop sells them for $849.00 canadian do the math guys.

Ninja:D

It can depend on the LDS as well. I'm currently shopping around for a BCD and found the item on-line for $300 less than my LDS has it listed for. I spoke to them and the owner said that if I dive with him and a few others on Saturday morning we can negotiate price on the BC. A definite win-win situation. I get the BC that I want at a price I can afford as well as the dive experience that I need.

At another LDS (where I purchased mask, fins, snorkel) I encountered an entirely different attitude. Soon after leaving the store at the time I purchased the gear I've mentioned I discovered that I was charged $17.00 for the $170.00 pair of fins. I returned and told them that I owed them more money, they were very grateful of my honesty. I felt that 1) I'd feel a bit guilty if I hadn't done so, and 2) I wanted to establish a good rapor with them as I expected to purchase more gear later, participate in dive trips, etc. I returned a couple of months later shopping for a wet suit. They remembered me and were happy to see me, again expressing their appreciation for my honesty. I bought the wet suit from them and asked if there was any flexibility in the price (about the same sticker price as other LDS's in the area). Even 10% off would have been appreciated. But no deal, the price was as marked. I was disappointed. To the credit of the owner's wife, she did give me a free wet suit hanger when her husband was going to charge me for it. I probably won't shop there again.

I made my next gear purchases at the first LDS I mentioned in this posting. They'll continue to get my business for whatever I need that they carry, and I'll refer anyone I know who's shopping for gear in my area to them.

Bravo my good man!!

I'm sure your honesty was appreciated, and your dive shop does need the business:)

Ninja

Hey Murdoch325!

Your Redneck response had "Urchinkiller" (the wife) and myself:D 'bustin'our guts with laughter!

Have you ever considered a career in car sales?:)

Regards
Aquamore and Urchinkiller

I have bought online from them.

During my last trip to NYC (I live in Israel), I went into their showroom on 18th st. Manhattan and took a look at their operation.

They have almost everything, at really good prices. I bought a computer, as well as some other stuff, from them and replaced it with another model the next day. Didn't have any problem replacing it, including a refund of the difference.

They have a very nice and extensive catalog and their mail order services are really good.

It may sound like I own the place, but I think they deserve it. They get my recomendation.

Ari =-)

Originally posted by Fishkiller
I went into my LDS and said I could buy this item online from LP at this price, can you match it?

After going through some options they did, and I took it home that day and dove the next with it.

Ditto. The LDS seeemed happy enough to sell at a discount.

Back
Top Bottom