The Great local dive shop vs. online debate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I agree 100% with Texas Mike. I'll admit it is tough to go to the LDS and pay $800+ for a Mk25 and S600 when Leisure Pro is selling the same for $325. There isn't a Manufacturers warranty and the LDS has been asked by the Manufacturer to not service the products from companys like Leisure Pro and Dive Inn. Leisure Pro says they will stand behind their products.

I like the warm fuzzy of being able to deal with the LDS on all life support equipment.

my 2 cents.

Everyone has their own opinion. I agree with supporting your LDS - with training & travel & air fills & small accessories. As far a s equipment- Life supporting or not - if you reaearch, research, resaearch and know what you want - and buy from a reputable on-line retailor like Leisure Pro with an excellent return policy - buying on line is just SO much less expensive - the choice is almost made for you...just my two cents....I have purchased almost all of my gear on line (Leisure Pro, DiveInn, DiversDirect)

I bought most of my equipment online. Just could not afford the equipment if I bought it all at the LDS. I support them with some purchases, air fills, trips and SERVICE. Service is where the dive stores have to learn to make money. If they dont provide enough service to stay open. I dont need them. We have serval Dive stores in the area. And to be honest WE the public would be served better by a couple of quality stores than 8 so-so stores.
Oops sorry got off subject. Yea Leisure pro is good to order from. And if the LDS does not want to service your equipment carry to the LDS that will stay open in the long run.

I went into my LDS and said I could buy this item online from LP at this price, can you match it?

After going through some options they did, and I took it home that day and dove the next with it.

Online buying good.

I have bought almost ALL of my $4,000(camera,strobes, dry suit , regulators, tanks, BCs, wetsuits) of dive gear online and have NEVER had a problem. My equipment would have cost twice that in a shop. Over the coarse of my diving I have saved enough just to buy myself a compressor and totally eliminate the dive shop all together. But where would I buy my overpriced dive travel packages from????......

Originally posted by CGoheen
There isn't a Manufacturers warranty and the LDS has been asked by the Manufacturer to not service the products from companys like Leisure Pro and Dive Inn.

Acckkk! Did I hear this right?? I may have an LDS refuse to do a yearly inspection on a regulator I bought online? Has anyone actually been refused?

I think you have to distinguish between warranty service (provided free) and regular maintenance (paid for by you and me).

There aren't too many shops out there that will refuse to service your equipment if you are willing to pay for it....

As for the free service covered by warranty.....different story.

Some of you folks have the wrong impression about choices available to the LDS. For the most part we can only get authorized to service the brands we sell. You can’t carry a brand unless you can meet the annual sales minimums. That means that increasingly we can only carry and service a few brands.

Here is an exception. We are Sherwood and Genesis dealers. Since Crammer and Decker took over the distribution, the stuff is all over the internet. You can get these products for about the same price I can (sometimes less). Therefore, I don’t sell any. Crammer and Decker is threatening to pull my dealership (not meeting minimum sales requirements). Because I am already an authorized service center they will probably continue to sell me parts. However I won’t be able to service any new models.

As some brands transition to the net we are transitioned completely out of those brands. That means sales and service. For these reasons you will find it increasingly difficult to obtain service on internet brands. You can always go to the distributor or the manufacturer for service. But, Crammer and Decker charges twice as much as we do to service a regulator.

Unless the manufacturers change their policies we will exit the service biz at the exact same moment we exit retail.

I read with interest the hypothesis that Internet-based vendors threaten the viability of LDS operations. At the risk of being classified as a fossil, I recall many years ago hearing the same arguments made against mail order and telephone order. Yes, some LDSs did go the way of the dodo, but I would suggest that many of them fell victim to excess local competition (three or four stores in a town), lack of business management skills ("diving is a fun hobby, so it will be a fun business") and, most importantly, failure to offer value. Just having the gear available to see and touch does not constitute value; an informed sales staff, willing and able to help you figure out what gear will work best for you, offers value! Just having old salts available to tell you about their UW adventures does not constitute value; staff skilled in listening, so that they can learn about the customer's diving interests and offer advice on how to maximize those interests, represent value! This is basic business. An LDS that offers "value" as I have described it above has nothing to fear from Internet operations, which are typically hard pressed value other than pricing.

Back
Top Bottom