The Great local dive shop vs. online debate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba adventurer, thanks for your input. I haven't had the opportunity to actually try on a Sea Quest BC. The dive shop I do business does not carry them.

And Scuba bunny, thanks anyway...I know you were disappointed not to get to do your boat dive. After this weekend, I've pretty much made up my mind to go with the Oceanic Isla. Thanks for all your input.

~lildiver

Hi Lildiver

I sold a LadyHawk recently. The new owner said she is very happy with the fit and functionality of the BC. Another happy ScubaPro customer.

By the way, the LadyHawk has a zippered, extendable pocket on the lower right side.

:jester: Hi all,

I would like to hear all good and bad stories on buying diving
gear on-line, or at the local dive store...

ScubaExpress.com
Diver-Supply.com
DiscountDivers.com
DiversDiscount.com
LeisurePro.com
DiveInn.com
SimplyScuba.com

Are all but a few on-line sites to pick from but are any of them any good??? I would like to hear the great stories that I know are out there... The money and timed saved, or the money lost
when the order never came... The great shop owner that went out of his way to make a couple of dollars and to keep a customer, or the one that pushes a certain brand or charges 3x
the price so he can retire in 2 years and dive all day long..:(
So let's hear the Best or Worst stories out there...:snorkel:

This thread has been covered several times in the past, do a search and you'll find lots of opinions. I have personally bought several accessories from Leisure Pro and have had no problems with them whatsoever. However... I chose to buy my life support equipment from an LDS (regulator & BC). I just didn't feel comfortable buying gear online and bringing it into an LDS for service...it seemed like a crappy thing to do in my opinion. I also just didn't trust shipping the stuff across the country for service or warranty work either. I may have spent more money up front but in the long run I'll probably save. Just my two cents.:)

I don't have a local dive shop that sells the gear I want, so I go price shopping. I've saved a fairly significant amount of money that way too.

Mike

I have bought a couple things from diversdiscount with no problem.
Many things from LeisurePro with no problem.
Simply Scuba has some decent prices but the shipping to me was expensive and took a few weeks.
DiveInn, in Spain, I have bought a few things from and the shipping is reasonable and always on my doorstep in 4 days.

I will also throw in Extreme Exposure, they are a local dive shop to High Springs Fla. but have a thriving internet business. They have BY FAR the best guarentee, use the gear for 30 days and then return it if you want for full refund. They carry Halcyon and Scubapro that I know of right off.

At first I bought stuff from a local shop when I was learning about the gear but since then I do not. Most of the stuff I get is top notch and it is known for its robustness so the year or so warrantys are not that big of a deal, and seeing that one can generally get stuff for half price on the internet, well...

My take on the issue is that if I use the LDS staff for knowledge I will buy it from them, I don't talk to them for an hour and go home and buy it on the computer.

I have not had that great of experiences with dive shop employees, they need to sell what they have. I prefer to research the living innards out of something, post many questions on this and other boards, then make my decision.

Tommy

I was kidding about starting version 10.34 of this argument! :maniac:

We've beaten this one into the carpet several times so be sure to check out the search feature (the blue buttons toward the top of the screen).

thanks all for taking time to write...

And remember some just found this site this week, SOME have been HERE for LONGER and have seen more post!!!!!!!!!!

I've purchased items from DiversDiscount and others without any problems, and as mentioned from others... the prices are great and shipping isn't that bad. Here is a couple others I've used:

Divers Direct
Scuba Toys

All the LDS around me are expensive so I do my shopping online and never once had a problem. (knock on wood)
=-)

Back
Top Bottom