The Great local dive shop vs. online debate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I recently came acrossed a site named Leisure Pro online dive shop. The prices there are unbeleivable. That makes me a little suspisious. Is this site for real? They don't claim that all of there products are under factory warrenty but the claim that if they are not they will warrent them. Has anyone had experience with this site? Let me know what you think.:confused:

I have purchased some gear from Leisure Pro and they were pretty good. I would be careful buying Regs and BC's from them or any other on-line shop since some manufacturers void the warranty unless the gear was purchased at a local dive shop.

When I buy gear on-line it is usually accessories like knives, bags and things like that. I try to save my major purchases for the LDS.

Scott

I've bought items through them and a few others:

DiveInn
ScubaToys
Divers Direct
Divers Discount

Never had a bit of trouble with anything. Great service and prices.

I know others preach on Supporting the Local Dive Shop (LDS), and to a point I agree with that. Unfortunately, they are also over priced. I know they are a buisness and entitled to a profit and I will not argue that point... but when I can buy the same product online for up to half the price the LDS has... I will get mine online. Manufactures are good at replacing or repairing items. Don't get me wrong, LDS have tons of benefits. I support mine through it's services, but not through equipment purchase.

=-)

Leisure Pro is for real. There are various other sources to buy gear online as well.

You can find a lot of discussion :whack: about the pros and cons of buying online. My opinion is that if you do the research and know exactly what you want, then buy it online. :approve:

On the other hand, if you rely on the expertise of your local dive shop to find the right gear, then buy it from them. Service is a part of what you are paying for. Good local shops will let you try before you buy. :thumb:

Buying on-line -- good:
- Wide product availability
- Easy ordering
- LOW PRICES
- no travel to the shop
- open 24/7 for ordering

Buying online -- bad:
- Can't see try/gear until you get it
- Warranty issues
- Service?
- Pisses off LDS
- May result in eventual demise of LDS (debatable)
- No same day availability
- Some assembly may be required
- You don't get that pleasing smell of neoprene while shopping at an online DS

add simplyscuba.com to the list

I'm completely in favor of saving a buck. I've bought quite a bit of gear online (from DiveInn in Spain).

BUT,
buying from an LDS has its advantages too. There are times I want a tech to look at my regulator even if it's not broken. For example, maybe I want to change my hose configuration ... or maybe my regulator is making a funny noise, and want a tech to look at it just to be safe. The LDS I go to does these things for free while my tanks are getting charged. This is also, a good time to ask the guys in the shop about local dive conditions (water temp, vis, "you see any lobsters?"), because most of them dive a lot more often then I do.

Furthermore,
there are certain pieces of gear that you should actually try on, before buying: wetsuit and mask. Both these pieces of gear are useless if they do not fit correctly.

IMHO, I think buying the other gear from a reputable online retailer (with a good warrantee policy) is OK Personally, I think getting packages in the mail is a lot of fun (especially if its dive gear).

We have discussed LiesurePro and online buying many times in the past. And there are some good threads. I would encourage you to use the search feature so you can read them.

As far as my take on online gear purchases:
  • Life Support Equipment (BC's, Regs, Tanks, etc): Too much rides on these items working and functioning well (such as my life!). So I am willing to pay the extra bit to ensure that the system I am purchasing is setup correctly and I fully understand it's use and general maintenance. Also, these larger purchases help build rapport with the shop so that I will get some breaks on future purchases.

A case in point was purchasing my OMS IQ-pack BC. The shop owner did a good job ensuring that the fit was correct and showing me much of the little tips and tricks that he has learned from his OMS BC that make quite a bit of difference. To me, that extra little bit (plus the ongoing personalized service is worth the extra dollars spent at the local shop.

Accessories (just about anything non-life support): Sure, not a problem buying from LiesurePro or others. Generally, these items are ones that I have done the research on myself and they don't require the extent of maintence or instruction that an LDS would provide.
I wish you well in your purchase, and if I or the others can help further, let us know.

thanks texasmike, i agree. the demise of local businesses can be attributed to the wholesalers on the net who dont give a rip about the sport. If you want the sport to continue to thrive support the guys who took the time to teach you how to dive and introduced you to this incredible world. If you dont care to have these guys around to service or repair your gear, give advice and organize dive trips, by all means go for the net pimps. When all the local shops are gone and your being relooped through phone relay hell at your not so local net dive shop, you wish you hadnt!;-0

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom