The Great local dive shop vs. online debate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I agree with a lot of stuff that has been said here on both sides.

I for one have bought about 80% of my gear through LDS. I am lucky to have what i consider to be 3 very good dive shops not to far from me and several crappy dive shops. The crappy shops dont get a dime from me while the ones that are willing to wheel and deal get all my bussiness.

If it wasnt for those three shops i would have bought my gear online. I can service all my own gear although it can be a pain to get reg kits sometimes but i do manage to get my grubby hands on them and own the factory service manual for my regs. Half of my regs are serviced by the shop i bought them from while i service my own regs purchased online or second hand.

I can get advanced training through independent instructors. There are places that survive on air fills like www.fillexpress.com . A compressor is in the plans for one of my future purchases. I can get hydros done anywhere and can do my own VIP's since i am filling my own tanks.

Needless to say i am not the once a year vacation diver and dive several times a month. With that said, LDS owners need to remember who needs who. I darn sure dont need you but you sure need me and my money. If your a good shop and willing to work with me ill return the favor and spend my money with you but dont try to bend me over and insult me with your prices and BS excuses on why i should buy from you. Like i said before those shops dont get a dime from me. Those shops willing to work with me to ease the pain and my pocket book from buying online will get my bussiness.

USMC Diver once bubbled...

C'mon now. They are just out for the buck. They sell PIC cards for 25 dollers when they are 13 online direct from PADI. Just making a buck. If I pay 200 dollers or so for a dive class, why do I still have to pay for AIR? PIC CARD? OUT TO MAKE A BUCK:nono:

Gee, what a horrible concept. So you're saying the dive shop owner wants to make a PROFIT at his operation? Wants to put food on his table, make his house payment, maybe get a new car? Well, this is certainly scandalous behaviour, and he should be boycotted.

I'm glad you're independantly wealthy, and don't need to sully your hands with making a buck.

I suggest you consider this next time your finances are tight.

VTernovski once bubbled...
Well, I have anotehr problem with the whole "support your local dive shop" thing... I have soem crap I bought from a shop that went out of business... now I need 'support" on that stuff and no one to turn to... specifically, Mares ESA mask that leaks water becasue of the known problem with the cracks in the plastic... I have two of those masks. Shop is not around to help me, will be contacting Mares directly.. I also went as far as asking another shop (that I know support) to take care of the mask issue for me. We'll see what he replies with... if he takes care of it, he's got my vote. If he says, sorry, you didn;t buy it from me... then .. oh well. next time, my mask will be bought on-line. along with other gear.... am I to blame to that the original shop went out of business? sorry, no way!

If the other dive shop that is an offical Mares dealer does'nt help you out. REPORT THEM TO MARES ASAFP. They're supposed to support the Mares product and it doesn't matter where you purchased it.

Hopefully though they will be more than willing to help you out.

CincyBengalsFan once bubbled...

If the other dive shop that is an offical Mares dealer does'nt help you out. REPORT THEM TO MARES ASAFP. They're supposed to support the Mares product and it doesn't matter where you purchased it.

Hopefully though they will be more than willing to help you out.

Well Cini, why is it that we all read many stories on this board and here from other sources that if someone purchased gear online or from another source and then take it to the LDS for support that the LDS' many times want to charge the customer for service or they flat turn them away. LDS' don't like to service or problem solve on gear THEY did not sell..........period. Now, how is that different from your so adamant attitude above? What if the LDS does not know where you bought it and they ask? Frankly it's none of the LDS' business where the customer bought it.

Oh, by the way...you never answered my question in a much earlier post.........page 1. What's wrong....don't have an answer to that question?

Here's another one for you to chew on.......Say I live in Louisville and don't like my LDS or they don't sell what I want. You do. I call you and purchase over the phone. How is that any differnet from LP or any other provder?

5615mike once bubbled...
Well Cini, why is it that we all read many stories on this board and here from other sources that if someone purchased gear online or from another source and then take it to the LDS for support that the LDS' many times want to charge the customer for service or they flat turn them away. LDS' don't like to service or problem solve on gear THEY did not sell..........period. Now, how is that different from your so adamant attitude above? What if the LDS does not know where you bought it and they ask? Frankly it's none of the LDS' business where the customer bought it.

Because you bought the mask from an authorized dealer, most of the popular gear bought online (Apeks and SP) are not from authorized dealers and, at least in SPs case, parts are free for regs from authorized dealers, not the case for regs from unauthorized dealers.

Ben

OneBrightGator once bubbled...

Because you bought the mask from an authorized dealer, most of the popular gear bought online (Apeks and SP) are not from authorized dealers and, at least in SPs case, parts are free for regs from authorized dealers, not the case for regs from unauthorized dealers.

Ben

Ben

MOST is not all. I am dealing with those who ARE authorized dealers. Why are you limiting your comments to two mfg's. I never use specific mfg's when debating this issue because there can always been extenuating circumstances. I know SP and Apeks protocol so leave them out of it. See, you chose to use them since it fit your particular point of view. By the way Ben, Cinci's post did not specifiy whether it was an authorized dealer or not. He specificall said
" They're supposed to support the Mares product and it doesn't matter where you purchased it".

5615mike once bubbled...

Oh, by the way...you never answered my question in a much earlier post.........page 1. What's wrong....don't have an answer to that question?

Here's another one for you to chew on.......Say I live in Louisville and don't like my LDS or they don't sell what I want. You do. I call you and purchase over the phone. How is that any differnet from LP or any other provder?

5615309487309874MIKE,

Please humor us all and repeat the question with the colorful name calling that you love so much too.

An authorized dealer is not a dealer that sales on-line. On-line sales are 99% non authorized therefore the warranties on the equipment is voided. Of course the on-line sales folks may tell you it's under warranty to make the sale to some poor sucker like yourself. I don't really care. People like you are not welcome in Dive Shops. Please stay clear of them. Please hook up your tank to your internet line and fill it up.

As far as if someone from Louisville calling me and me making a sale that way. That is legit. I didn't catalog advertise or internet advertise. Somehow the customer heard about me and called me and I made a clean sale. Warranty still good. That's just the way it is. And it helps out the local dive shop too.

Apparently know one on this board truely knows how LP truely works.

CincyBengalsFan once bubbled...

5615309487309874MIKE,

Please humor us all and repeat the question with the colorful name calling that you love so much too.

An authorized dealer is not a dealer that sales on-line. On-line sales are 99% non authorized therefore the warranties on the equipment is voided. Of course the on-line sales folks may tell you it's under warranty to make the sale to some poor sucker like yourself. I don't really care. People like you are not welcome in Dive Shops. Please stay clear of them. Please hook up your tank to your internet line and fill it up.

As far as if someone from Louisville calling me and me making a sale that way. That is legit. I didn't catalog advertise or internet advertise. Somehow the customer heard about me and called me and I made a clean sale. Warranty still good. That's just the way it is. And it helps out the local dive shop too.

Apparently know one on this board truely knows how LP truely works.

I have several DS's that will disagree with you on your FACTS regarding on-line sales. Do you sales or sell on-line? Glad to hear I'm not welcome in your store. I am no differnet than many on this board so you'll have to include all of them as well. I take your explanation on the phone sale as a good point. Well done.

Again, you seem to know everything there is to know about LP so I certainly would not be one to question your opinion.........LOL

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom