The Great local dive shop vs. online debate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

These threads are funny now that I don't have a shop. LOL

5615mike once bubbled...

Do you sales or sell on-line? Glad to hear I'm not welcome in your store. I am no differnet than many on this board so you'll have to include all of them as well. I take your explanation on the phone sale as a good point. Well done.

Again, you seem to know everything there is to know about LP so I certainly would not be one to question your opinion.........LOL

56150932472093874Mikejr.,

Good luck with your adventures. Sorry about my spelling or wording and the major confussion it must have caused you. You seem like a real nice guy that is very sensible. LMAO...

Not entirely... Fillexpress is DiveriteExpress.

Not entirely, but from what I can see, they survive primarily on their income from fills. They are also incredibly helpful and friendly, charge a reasonable amount for gas and charge you only for the gas you use. However, this may be a model that won't work outside of places like S.E. Fla.

I won't target the LDS owner here. I personally buy ALL of my scuba gear from my LDS. There are probably 20 LDS's in the DFW area,if not more. Most of these LDS wannabe's are small and have very little buying power,thus their prices are outrageous. The wannabe's have a VERY limited stock on hand...maybe one or two of each of their tiny little inventory. Until I finally got fed up with these wannabe shops,I was consistantly told they were out of stock on this or that. I'm someone that wants what I want NOW.
Luckily I found a LDS that knows how to run a business and can keep up with the changes in technology and economics. This LDS can match or beat any ONLINE pricing as well as simply destroy the other LDS's in the area. Their shop is extremely well stocked...usually 10 or more of EVERYTHING. "I don't have it" isn't in their vocabulary. How can this shop compete so well with the online shops and the LDS's? Simple,they do both. They're in the top 3 online scuba companies and,without a doubt,the largest in the DFW area. They don't sell anything online that won't carry the manufacturer's warranty,yet they still have an extremely large online offering. They also have a ton of items not offered online in the local shop.This company has outstanding service,both online and at the local level. This company is growing,NOT just surviving. The rest of the out-of-date LDS's need to catch up with the times,i.e. LOCAL is now GLOBAL. Go get a loan,get yourself better pricing from the manufacturer's and stop seeking pitty for not keeping in touch with the times!

mardigrastexan once bubbled...
out-of-date LDS's need to catch up with the times,i.e. LOCAL is now GLOBAL. Go get a loan,get yourself better pricing from the manufacturer's and stop seeking pitty for not keeping in touch with the times!

Damn, well said. But I hope you were not referring to me or nauifins about looking for pitty?

No Cincy and naufins,just the out-of-business ones.

P.S....plus I like the REDS,so I can't dis anyone from Cincy.

No Cincy and naufins,just the out-of-business ones.

P.S....plus I like the REDS,so I can't dis anyone from Cincy.

Now we're talk' N !! Can you believe the Reds unloaded like they did this year. It's certainly helped the Yanks. 5 of their players are reds. Might as well call it the New York Reds. Griffey is still causing problems in the locker room in cincy. He needs to go!

Ah... this disection will be fun...

5615mike once bubbled...
MOST is not all. I am dealing with those who ARE authorized dealers.

Great, like I already said once before, if you buy the product from an authorized dealer, online or not, then another authorized dealer should help you if it's a manufacturers problem (i.e. warranty), if it's not covered by the manufacturers warranty don't expect any help, you didn't pay for it (the help, that is).

5615mike once bubbled...
Why are you limiting your comments to two mfg's. I never use specific mfg's when debating this issue because there can always been extenuating circumstances. I know SP and Apeks protocol so leave them out of it. See, you chose to use them since it fit your particular point of view.

I didn't limit a thing, I used them to illustrate a situation where warranty service and/or extra help should not be expected nor will be given. This is not my "point of view" it's the truth.

5615mike once bubbled...
By the way Ben, Cinci's post did not specifiy whether it was an authorized dealer or not. He specificall said " They're supposed to support the Mares product and it doesn't matter where you purchased it".

By the way, Mike, a dive shop that is not a Mares authorized dealer has no responsibility to support their product, the fact that they are an authorized dealer is implied, but evidently you missed that part.

As far as I'm concerned, if you bought the mask cheaper online then you should deal with warranty problems online. You turn your back on your LDS to save a couple bucks and then would be surprised when they turn their back on you, what did you expect?

Ben

As far as I'm concerned, if you bought the mask cheaper online then you should deal with warranty problems online. You turn your back on your LDS to save a couple bucks and then would be surprised when they turn their back on you, what did you expect?

Ben

Ok, now explain the difference here to the shop where I go to have the warranty problem taken care of:

1. I buy the <insert item> from a LDS in Atlanta. I live in Florida. I return home to Florida, and it has a problem. I take it to the LDS for warranty repairs/replacement.

2. I buy the <insert item> from LP. I live in Florida. I take it to the LDS for warranty repairs/replacement.

In neither case did the LDS that I take it to make a single nickel off me - I supported them in neither case.

And by the way, be careful with your answer here Ben, because collusion between retailers to fix the market (this is NOT limited to price) is a per-se violation of anti-trust law.

Now what did you say your answer was again?

mardigrastexan, I couldn't agree more with you! So true! They really have to snap out of this "LOCAL" thing. Diving is not local... would you even think of only diving locally? no, we all go to Carrebian, Florida, Canda, etc... so, why can;t we order things online.. that's redicilous to be tied in to only your LOCAL dive shop. Besides, like you mentioned, most local dive shops never have anything in stock anyway. And, it's always easier fo rme to do a research online than hear verbally different opinions of the store owner, which is not always a good benchmark.

I won't target the LDS owner here. I personally buy ALL of my scuba gear from my LDS. There are probably 20 LDS's in the DFW area,if not more. Most of these LDS wannabe's are small and have very little buying power,thus their prices are outrageous. The wannabe's have a VERY limited stock on hand...maybe one or two of each of their tiny little inventory. Until I finally got fed up with these wannabe shops,I was consistantly told they were out of stock on this or that. I'm someone that wants what I want NOW.
Luckily I found a LDS that knows how to run a business and can keep up with the changes in technology and economics. This LDS can match or beat any ONLINE pricing as well as simply destroy the other LDS's in the area. Their shop is extremely well stocked...usually 10 or more of EVERYTHING. "I don't have it" isn't in their vocabulary. How can this shop compete so well with the online shops and the LDS's? Simple,they do both. They're in the top 3 online scuba companies and,without a doubt,the largest in the DFW area. They don't sell anything online that won't carry the manufacturer's warranty,yet they still have an extremely large online offering. They also have a ton of items not offered online in the local shop.This company has outstanding service,both online and at the local level. This company is growing,NOT just surviving. The rest of the out-of-date LDS's need to catch up with the times,i.e. LOCAL is now GLOBAL. Go get a loan,get yourself better pricing from the manufacturer's and stop seeking pitty for not keeping in touch with the times!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom