The Great local dive shop vs. online debate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

5615mike once bubbled...

Ben, Ben,

Your confused. The whole Mares analogy was not mine....it came from Cinci. I just quoted him. HE SAID "If the other dive shop that is an offical Mares dealer does'nt help you out. REPORT THEM TO MARES ASAFP. They're supposed to support the Mares product and it doesn't matter where you purchased it"

Why in the world would I expect an unauthorized dealer of a product to deal with warranty issues? Don't know where you got the idea that I do. I understand that if I have a warranty problem I should go to the source of my purchase. Could not agree with you more. Cinci made the statement and I was just trying to get clairrification.

Listen, I tried to buy my gear from my LDS where I did my training. Bought some but most I bought on line since they could not or would not touch the pricing. I saved over $1300 but it's not like I didn't try to buy from them first. They told me in several cases the prices I told them were lower than their cost. The LDS has since gone OOB. Why, don't know for sure but there are rumors that I won't address. If there was not such a vast difference in cost I would have gladly bought local. My whole point with Cinci and his attitude about calling all of us web buyers lowlifes and the end all problem of the failing LDS and scuba as a whole.

If we don't have an LDS that is willing to work with us or they don't carry the gear we want then what to you expect people to do?

Like I said, if he said they should do what's required by a dealer agreement then it implies they are a dealer.

You have no idea if your LDS is willing to work with you on price or not, if they sell equipment from a manufactrurer who dictates the retail price they have no choice but not to budge, losing one sale is better than losing a dealership, in this scenario it's the manufacturers who are to blame, not your LDS, and no, I don't expect you to have to pay for it, your LDS should include other things such as pool time, fills or service and you should see what they have to offer is worth the difference. Just imagine what you would not have if you had no LDS and then tell me it's not worth it.

Ben

5615mike once bubbled...

now, what is it that you feel I have made up?

If a person does not have a LDS that will work with them or they do not have an LDS that sells the gear you want then what are you expected to do as a consumer?

You made up me calling folks low-lifes...I don't think any diver is a low-life except Karl from Cali.

Answer to your question. Well, it's a toughy..The gear you want?? Most gear is virtually the same now a days and is top of the line. That part is simple. However; if you stuck on something like Halcyon and it's not in your nieghborhood yet, then buy from where you can. If a shop is unwilling to work with a customer then fine..Buy on-line. I hate to hear that LDS's won't work with the customer. I'll help people out when I can but I won't give the gear away. I'll also put into the value of purchasing from me, free servicings, pool time, some air fills now and then and maybe a few other things too. But it's ashame that most LDS's are unwilling to do this. I've really enjoyed watching my business grow from my above examples. If this doesn't answer your question then please let me know what I can do to answer it please.

back to my Mask problem. Just walked in to Scuba Network in new York on 6th Avenue. this is where one of the Mares ESA mask (with corrective lenses) - $170 was purchased. I told them, that this mask was purchased in their shop, an the other one was purchased at the shop that went out of business, but I don; thave the original store receipt, just the credit card statement.

The guy at the store told me that I'll have to deal with Mares directly. OK, I then asked for a Mares catalog or for a contact name/number that they have with Mares. He told me thwy don;t have either and I have to go to Mares website. (actually, I couldn't find Mares phone number on their website an dthat's the reason I took time to walk back to that shop in the first place).

So, to summorize, they weren't very helpful and it looked like he was a bit anoyed at my request as he kept mentioned that he can;t deal with anything that was not bought form his store is it might be gray market. I kept on correcting him specifying that one of the mask was actually bought at this store while the other was bought form another store (both Authorized Mares dealers), it's just the other store is no longer in business. He wasn't trying to help at all, and basiclaly told me again to contact mares directly.

It's alright, I didn't expect much form this store anyway as I never liked the people that worked there anyway. I still haven't heard from another shop that is a Mares dealer... will let you know if I also get the boot form them. But, with all due respect, if I support a shop now by spending hundreds of $, I would think that they would take the time to help with my ask issue... is it that unreasonable? I am sure they have their channels with Mares if they are their dealer to deal with such problem, considering it's a well known problem wiht that specific mask, and there actually should have been an official recall form Mares (but theynevver issued a recall).

Genesis once bubbled...
by the Florida AG's office when I discussed this matter with them.

They wanted to know if there was any published evidence available that dive shops were, in any way, colluding in such a fashion.

I wonder if they're reading here..... you never know!

:rolleyes:

So bring it then. Everything we've discussed here are EXAMPLES and my opinion on the correct course of action, I can't remember the last time I was involved with any part of the retail side of diving.

Ben... oh looky, I can use bold letters too

VTernovski once bubbled...
back to my Mask problem. Just walked in to Scuba Network in new York on 6th Avenue. this is where one of the Mares ESA mask (with corrective lenses) - $170 was purchased. I told them, that this mask was purchased in their shop, an the other one was purchased at the shop that went out of business, but I don; thave the original store receipt, just the credit card statement.

The guy at the store told me that I'll have to deal with Mares directly. OK, I then asked for a Mares catalog or for a contact name/number that they have with Mares. He told me thwy don;t have either and I have to go to Mares website. (actually, I couldn't find Mares phone number on their website an dthat's the reason I took time to walk back to that shop in the first place).

So, to summorize, they weren't very helpful and it looked like he was a bit anoyed at my request as he kept mentioned that he can;t deal with anything that was not bought form his store is it might be gray market. I kept on correcting him specifying that one of the mask was actually bought at this store while the other was bought form another store (both Authorized Mares dealers), it's just the other store is no longer in business. He wasn't trying to help at all, and basiclaly told me again to contact mares directly.

It's alright, I didn't expect much form this store anyway as I never liked the people that worked there anyway. I still haven't heard from another shop that is a Mares dealer... will let you know if I also get the boot form them. But, with all due respect, if I support a shop now by spending hundreds of $, I would think that they would take the time to help with my ask issue... is it that unreasonable? I am sure they have their channels with Mares if they are their dealer to deal with such problem, considering it's a well known problem wiht that specific mask, and there actually should have been an official recall form Mares (but theynevver issued a recall).
'

Damn that sucks. Dacor is owned by Mares so maybe you can get a number for Dacor. I don't deal with either otherwise I would hep uh brother out.

VTernovski once bubbled...

Yep, you've got a cr@ppy shop, I certainly don't think they deserve your business and if you're FORCED to go online, then that's the way it has to be. It's this pervading idea that all LDSs are the devil and purely there to suck all of your money out of your bank account is what I have a problem with. I don't expect anyone, myself included, to patronize a cr@ppy shop or to write off every LDS because of one bad egg.

There are shops in town I won't deal with anymore for various reasons, however when I found one I liked I stuck with them and get what I pay for.

Ben

OneBrightGator once bubbled...

There are shops in town I won't deal with anymore for various reasons, however when I found one I liked I stuck with them and get what I pay for.

Ben

Ben,

I hope you're right. I'm moving to High Springs in a couple of months. I'll buy you some lunch and you can take me down there.

FWIW- My previously stated opinion is based on years of trying very hard to find a dive shop local to me that has good service and prices. Still yet to find one with both. Maybe that's a local phenomenon.

I'm looking foward to being proven wrong :wink:

Scott

About a year ago I wanted a transmitter for my Vytec.

One of the LDSs here is a Suunto dealer. They wanted full list, less 10%. I had a price from DiveInn (a legit Suunto dealer) that was about $200 less, including shipping and import duty.

I asked if they would meet me somewhere in the middle - if not able to on the price due to dealer agreement constraints (which they argued were present) then in some other way - a fill card, for example, or a written agreement to perform an instant swap during the warranty period (rather than wait for them to ship it back to Suunto if it failed), etc.

Nope. Nothing doing. I got the whine about how they had to make a living, blah-blah, etc.

Ok. No problem from my point of view. I bought it online.

Now which do you think the LDS would rather have had:

1. Some profit.
2. No profit.

They get to choose only from those two options, because I only need one transmitter, and once the money is spent, its spent. It won't magically reappear to be spent in their store at some later date, nor will I feel bad and "make it up" to them. They got their fair shot, and refused to move a millimeter.

Its been the same story several times in there.

I no longer go in there unless I absolutely have to have something relatively small, and I need it right now. Otherwise I'll pay the Fedex charge if necessary - it's STILL cheaper, and since I'm not goign to get ANYTHING in the way of additional service, why would I buy locally and pay more besides?

Will they survive treating people this way? Maybe. I neither know or care. They make their choices, and I make mine.

Genesis once bubbled...
About a year ago I wanted a transmitter for my Vytec.

One of the LDSs here is a Suunto dealer. They wanted full list, less 10%. I had a price from DiveInn (a legit Suunto dealer) that was about $200 less, including shipping and import duty.

I asked if they would meet me somewhere in the middle - if not able to on the price due to dealer agreement constraints (which they argued were present) then in some other way - a fill card, for example, or a written agreement to perform an instant swap during the warranty period (rather than wait for them to ship it back to Suunto if it failed), etc.

Nope. Nothing doing. I got the whine about how they had to make a living, blah-blah, etc.

Ok. No problem from my point of view. I bought it online.

Now which do you think the LDS would rather have had:

1. Some profit.
2. No profit.

They get to choose only from those two options, because I only need one transmitter, and once the money is spent, its spent. It won't magically reappear to be spent in their store at some later date, nor will I feel bad and "make it up" to them. They got their fair shot, and refused to move a millimeter.

Its been the same story several times in there.

I no longer go in there unless I absolutely have to have something relatively small, and I need it right now. Otherwise I'll pay the Fedex charge if necessary - it's STILL cheaper, and since I'm not goign to get ANYTHING in the way of additional service, why would I buy locally and pay more besides?

Will they survive treating people this way? Maybe. I neither know or care. They make their choices, and I make mine.

Those rat basturds! Some profit is always better than none. And stone cold cash goes even further:D :D :D :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom