The great big, all-inclusive Leisure Pro note

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have seriously mixed feelings on this topic.

When I was a kid my Dad owned a little independent bookstore. Wit & Wisdom. It was a great bookstore designed and built based on ideas of all the bookstores across the country he had seen in his days as a salesman for a publisher and he only staffed the place with the most literate people who applied.

On Black Friday, one year, a Barnes and Noble and a Borders opened their doors only 1 mile away from eachother and only 10 miles from my Dad's little store. Wit & Wisdom closed only three months later... that's how fast it works with the pricing publishers use.

I've always been a big advocate of independent stores. Independent resturants. Independent everything.

BUT

I still get books at B&N because there isn't a bookstore around where customer loyalty counts nor one that employs a single person that even seems to read. By the same token, the LDS where I was certified, I've spent probably a cumulative month in there and still they don't recognize me and still they keep trying to sell me overpriced Oceanic stuff (all they carry) I don't want.

Now I'm not presuming to know a solution, but I know it has to be a decision by the leadership/manufacturers.

I also know I can't afford to buy things at the manufacturer set prices. And, finally, I know that when I went into LP to buy a reg everyone there was mad helpful (as they have always been on the phone also) and I stood and watched the guy damn near completely overhaul the thing before he handed it to me and said, "enjoy."

No, they don't look like divers, but they run a great shop and are far friendlier than most of the LDS owners around here.

When I went to buy my first pair of boots and fins, I went to my LDS, Scuba Network on Rte 46 in NJ. I went duing my luch hour and the store was totally empty except for the owner. The owner was so unhelpful. He seemed totally annoyed that I wanted to try on all 3 pairs of boots he had with the various fins. He just kept saying if it's compfortable just buy that one. He kept pushing his most expensive scuba pro split fins and when I asked about the lower priced Tusa X-Perts he just said they were junk and he only carried them because lot's of uneducated divers wanted them. He was so rude that I walked out without buying anything.

I tried another smaller, private LDS and they only had 1 pair of boots and 2 fins.

Later I found LP on line and drove into NYC to go to their shop. I tried on 10 pairs of boots and at least 6 different fins. If I wanted to see something else, they brought it out, no problem and no attitude. After an hour I found what I liked and spent $75 on boots and Aeris Velocity fins. At my LDS I would have spend $175. When I went back a couple weeks later to buy a new mask, same thing. I asked to see 10-12 different masks and they brought them all out and let me spend as much time as I needed to choose ($45 for Mares X-Vision).

As far as warranty goes, both my fins and mask had a warranty post card to mail in to register. I assume if there were any kind of recall the manufacturer would contact me via postal or email.

I don't know about regs or BC's from LP, but I would guess you would get the same warranty card.

I kind of feel like the owners/ employees of dive shops are alot like reading these threads. They are all very opninianated about what is best and what you SHOULD be diving in there mind. Dont get me wrong some of the opinions on these threads as well as the ones expressed my the folks at the LDS are very valuable and some have great merrit. The thing I like about buying from LP is that I ususally have spent enough time researching what ever it is I'm looking for to know exactly what I want. Whats really irritating is when I go to my LDS and ask for it, or try it on and i've got this guy telling me 50 different reasons why I need to be diving with this gear or rigging it that way or what ever.
As an example, and I'm pretty sure anyone can back me up on this one, My buddy was getting dry gloves put on his CF-200, and the old boy that was doin it was telling him that hed be better off to wait until he got a new drysuit and to save his money because his DUI would fall apart before he even had to bother removing the rings to lubricate the seals after a month or so, and he should go ahead and just dive one othe drysuits they carried. At this same visit we were also (at least I felt do) attacked for not being part of the DIR crowd. ( which I have no problem with BTW)
Anyhow its this kind of attitude that has keeps me out of my LDS for anything other than air-fills and need it now items, such as servicing. ( which I dread ) As far as air fills go I'd rather go to Prax Air and have them guys do it. Takes longer, but I never have to feel like I'm being anylized as being this or that type of diver for the equpment that I do or dont choose to dive with.

Don't support those bottom feeders...support your LDS. They are the ones that will be services the stuff you get from LP...BTW NO manufacture I am aware of (I run a LDS) honors the warranties offered through LP. I kjnow they say they come with a manufactures warranty, but you are just getting thier cards...try taking it into a LDS and getting warranty work done, you will be lucky to be able to eat solid foods...JK:)

resqdivers once bubbled...
Don't support those bottom feeders...support your LDS. They are the ones that will be services the stuff you get from LP...BTW NO manufacture I am aware of (I run a LDS) honors the warranties offered through LP. I kjnow they say they come with a manufactures warranty, but you are just getting thier cards...try taking it into a LDS and getting warranty work done, you will be lucky to be able to eat solid foods...JK:)

So, I take it that you've never used the program? I can't tell from your post....

Have you ever used LP?

and any competitor who takes to name-calling ("bottom feeders") deserves zero of my dollars - and yours.

I have a brand new Zeagle Ranger that I wanted to get rid of. They offred $200, I told them thanks but no thanks, will have better luck selling on eBay.

I alsi had used OMS steel tanks that I wanted to get rid of , and they told me that they don't take used tanks.

I agree that you should support your local dive shop. I love to give the local guys buisiness, but lets face it Leisure Pro is pretty fricken cool! I have bought a lot from both my local dive shop and L.P. I have exchanged a few things that I misunderstood when ordering. I hope I don't jinx myself here, but I have never, NEVER had a problem with them (L.P.) In fact, once they sent me a different sized wetsuit when I ordered the wrong size. They sent it before I even sent the first one back. Now that is customer service. I know that the LDS vs LP debate will never be resolved, and I agree that it is good to support your home town business owners, but don't knock Leisure Pro. They are good to do buisiness with...
:guitar:
sharkman

Back
Top Bottom