The great big, all-inclusive Leisure Pro note

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I too think you should go to your LDS, but isn't LP an LDS? Really? Don't they actually have a physical store? This makes them an LDS, right? Just cause they have the balls to sell over the internet, they get more biz, they can then get more product at a lower price, pass that on...etc. They prolly buy so much from the manufacturers that they can bypass that warranty thing - just send you a new one and deal with the manuf's directly. It wouldn't surprise me if that's what's really going on.

Buying from LP is supporting "A" dive shop, just not the "Local" Dive Shop.

norcaldiver once bubbled...
They prolly buy so much from the manufacturers that they can bypass that warranty thing - just send you a new one and deal with the manuf's directly. It wouldn't surprise me if that's what's really going on.

I am not sure I'd sign onto that scenario....After ordering and receiving a DiveRite Transpac II with rec wings from LP, I called Dive Rite to ask a question and they told me that the place I bought it should have set it up for me...Then, when they found out LP sold it, they made a remark that if they could figure out where LP got their stuff, they's close that channel....

norcaldiver once bubbled...

Buying from LP is supporting "A" dive shop, just not the "Local" Dive Shop.

I agree with you here, and have bought from LP those things that don't require personal attention or a fitting...

in 8 transactions. Never tried the buy-back option.

And I support FLDS (FRIENDLY Local Dive Shops)...they're the ones who don't whine, threaten, or complain if I buy something online or elsewhere...I stop spending dough with anyone who badmouths other operations or my spending habits.

resqdivers once bubbled...
Don't support those bottom feeders...support your LDS. They are the ones that will be services the stuff you get from LP...BTW NO manufacture I am aware of (I run a LDS) honors the warranties offered through LP. I kjnow they say they come with a manufactures warranty, but you are just getting thier cards...try taking it into a LDS and getting warranty work done, you will be lucky to be able to eat solid foods...JK:)

I would and have supported my LDS, but I continually get hosed. Latest is a $70 O2 clean that didn't even include the fill.
BTW, many online shops have a local presence also, so they are in essence an LDS, just not in your area.

See my posts in new2scuba, beginner gear. I'm very new to scuba, in fact, getting certified in about 11 days. I too thought about leisure pro after seeing their prices. But, what about service? It can make the difference. Ya see, I bowhunt for deer. Many local archery shops. Most suck. Just trying to sell you anything to make them a buck. But, after about a year I found a pro shop 1 hr 45 minutes from the house. What a god send. This guy won't even let me come into his shop without personally inspecting my bow to make sure its up to his standards. He is extremely anal retentive that things are done to the highest standards. I pay more for his stuff but I can't express the increased level of confidence and security I feel knowing my bow is up to Tabes standards. I expect to find the same service in a diveshop and will only give one my loyalty when they meet my expectations. Plan to start by getting 2 sets of fins, masks, snorkels and boots for my wife and I. Could save $110 bucks if I buy from LP. But, since I'm going to attempt to start a good relationship I plan on asking him to make me the best deal he possibly can (all scubapro stuff so hopes its more than 10%). I can suck up the 110 bucks for a one time buy if I have to. If the service is worth it I'll continue buying stuff from him. If not, I'll shop around and find another shop that can meet my expectations. Lets support the lds's that truly do their job. The others can go out of business until they learn the importance of customer satisfaction. (From what I've seen and heard my lds will likely meet my needs). Thats what has happened to the other archery shops but Tabes is still going strong. Keep up the good work you lds's that make diving safe and enjoyable and provide good customer service to those of us that put our lives in your hands. Take care, GT

Ok, here we go…

And as a matter of convenience I go there now and then to pickup some small stuff such as masks, etc…

The very next shop in my area is Scuba Network on 6th Ave. I have never seen a more useless shop in my life. It’s quite big, and the people who work there are totally unhelpful. I went there to enquire to about purchasing a tank. The guy didn’t carry any at this shop but went on to look into catalogs to give me a price quote. After about 10 min, he told me that he is not sure and asked me if I know where LeisurePro is… that’s a first.
Oh, did I mention that shop doesn’t even have a fill station?

Finally, I got in touch with Cal from Villagedivers on East 4th street (1st &2nd Ave); and ordered OMS BP/Wings from him. Refreshingly, the prices were similar to LP. Some of the items were actually a few bucks cheaper than LP (which is refreshing) and other were just a few bucks more, which is ok. The downside is that he really doesn’t have anything in stock, and had to order from the manuf. OMS stuff got there next day, which I awesome. Halcyon parts took about a week or more. It’s good to know I can get fills at that store and the support is there including the warranty, but as far as researching stuff and looking for a price comparison, LP is definitely a shop to bench mark against….

Some may argue, but a SS backplate is still a SS bakcplate, if you can get it cheaper somewhere else, do it. I always hear this Support you local dive shop slogan, but you know what? Support yourself! I am not Donald Trump or Bill Gates to support anybody but me. I work hard to earn my money and enjoy the things I do, and I in the capitalist market, I will go where it pays more.

Most of my experiences with local dive shops in New York area have been very unpleasant. I can give specific example over and over again with specific names, shops, and incidents that made me lose all respect to local dive shops and their owners.

As far as dive shops going out of business and not being able to fill your tank? I am not worrying about it. First of all, the reason they are going out of business doesn’t really have to do that much with their pricing scheme, but rather with their attitude and ego stroking. And if they all do go out of business.. you know what? I will open my fill station and just that. All I will do is open up a shop to fill your tanks, nothing less, nothing more. And with the turn around, I won’t be charging $13 for a nitrox fill and $6 for an air fill. I will charge half of that! Air is free (ok, O2 cost more, but not too much to charge $13 for EAN32), and electricity is almost free too... ok, filters cost a lot, but, serisouly, if you charge $13 for a nitrox fill... c'mon! I really want to know what is the profit margin on those air fills)

VTernovski once bubbled...

As far as dive shops going out of business and not being able to fill your tank? I am not worrying about it. First of all, the reason they are going out of business doesn’t really have to do that much with their pricing scheme, but rather with their attitude and ego stroking. And if they all do go out of business.. you know what? I will open my fill station and just that. All I will do is open up a shop to fill your tanks, nothing less, nothing more. And with the turn around, I won’t be charging $13 for a nitrox fill and $6 for an air fill. I will charge half of that! Air is free (ok, O2 cost more, but not too much to charge $13 for EAN32), and electricity is almost free too... ok, filters cost a lot, but, serisouly, if you charge $13 for a nitrox fill... c'mon! I really want to know what is the profit margin on those air fills)

If you can do this, then you only need fear kryptonite, huh. You should share your infinite wisdom with people that pump real fills, not just hot air, they surely can use the help.

So far so good with LeisurePro. I bought a Suunto Cobra computer from them at over $300. less than local dive shops. The computer failed after 3 months and they replaced it with a few days of receiving my defective one. Suunto is a Finnish product but don't fall for the dribble from American manufacturers stating they won't honor their warranty if you bought it from LeisurePro or some other source they may not personally don't approve of. There are State and Federal laws to the contrary regulating product warranties. I had a scanner I bought on eBay and the company said they don't honor anything bought off eBay. After I informed them I would complain to the California Attorney Generals Office of their refusal to honor their warranty they changed their tune. You won't have to deal with that because LeisurPro will make good for their sales.

Gilligan once bubbled...
... After I informed them I would complain to the California Attorney Generals Office of their refusal to honor their warranty they changed their tune...

I wonder if that would work with DUI. Not only do they have the Authorized Dealer crap, but the warranty expires after the original owner.

I bought several items from LP and several items from local dive store. While I like the easier access to local service and support and dreaded if I will ever have to send anything back to LP ( I live in Thailand), I basically make my decision in part on the local dive store itself. If I am going to spend sevearl hundred dollars more on my Smartcom at the local dive store, they better offer something in return for the extra money. When I went to a local store here, they were not exactly being helpful and in fact, rather condescending. Guess what, why would I pay $US 1100 for a Smartcom here from people who did not even treat me properly.
LP has always been very professional and courteous when I deal with them.
There are some local stores here that I would go back again and again and I bought several things from them. Unfortunately their selections are not nearly as extensive.
Before I want to buy anything, I do check out the local store first. If their price is reasonable and they treat me right then yes, they will generally get my business.
So, it is not just a matter of LP is cheaper, often the local dive stores are to blame for making go to LP as an alternative source.
Most local dive stores should learn lesson from LP instead of just blaming them for providing cheaper prices.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom