M/V Tillis (Dive Pro Liveaboard)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was planning to book a trip with them for January 2026. I sent them an email asking for some amenities. They relied almost immediately. I sent them another email early this week, asking about the last boat safety inspection, safety procedures etc and haven't heard ever since...
I then came across this post and I think I will look for another liveaboard.

I am recently back from a week on Emperor Elite and I have to say that Emperor had put lot of thought and effort into their safety systems.

Things that stood out to me were:
Everybody in a downstairs cabin being shown the emergency escape routes, and how the hatch opened. The crew later checked that people remembered the route.
A fire drill early in the week.
Two separate smoke alarm systems in the cabins, and there were lots of smoke alarms around the boat.
No charging allowed in the cabins. All the plug sockets had been removed from cabins to prevent anyone breaking this rule
A night watchman. He slept during the day and spent the night walking around all areas of the boat. He had to visit all the public areas every 15 minutes. He had to confirm his checks by scanning QR codes
Auto fire extinguishing balls in key places around the boat.
Fire blankets in cabins to help with escape in event of a fire.

Having been on about ten different Red Sea liveaboards I think this was the one with the most well thought out safety systems.

I am recently back from a week on Emperor Elite and I have to say that Emperor had put lot of thought and effort into their safety systems.

Everybody in a downstairs cabin being shown the emergency escape routes, and how the hatch opened. The crew later checked that people remembered the route.
Two separate smoke alarm systems in the cabins, and there were lots of smoke alarms around the boat.
No charging allowed in the cabins. All the plug sockets had been removed from cabins to prevent anyone breaking this rule
A night watchman. He slept during the day and spent the night walking around all areas of the boat. He had to visit all the public areas every 15 minutes. He had to confirm his checks by scanning QR codes

Having been on about ten different Red Sea liveaboards I think this was the one with the most well thought out safety systems.
I have a feeling that the spate of accidents has been a wake-up call for many, including the more reputable operators.

Just to chime in from recent experience on Aggressor IV:
  • video safety briefing
  • escape hatches were not actively shown but we tested them out ourselves; no fire drill
  • two different smoke detectors in the cabins
  • fire extinguishers and life vests in the cabins
  • charging in the cabins strongly discouraged and asked to do so only while the occupants are present and alert
  • night watch was posted and supposed to circulate all areas (didn't check if that actually happened)
  • no extra safety briefing for zodiacs
  • now that I think about it, there was also not explicitly briefed on safety procedures during the dives, like what to do in case of missing divers etc.

This is really great! I don't think we had those or any fire blankets. I really wish there was some sort of standard that can be checked for example by the coastguard.

Many thanks for this. I'm looking to do another Egypt liveaboard next year and this speaks really well of the Emperor operation.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom