The great big, all-inclusive Leisure Pro note

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have had a pleasure dealing with Lp in the past and yes the deals are great... One thing to consider is the warranty! Although LP will agree to match any warranty put out by the manufacture; you will have to send it to them for service. Local dive shops will not be able to service the products because most have free part and sometimes labor available for being a dealer of a specific line. This service is paid for by the additional money you pay at the dive shop along with the commission of the store. If you are buying a computer this is important. Think of this before you buy... Can you afford to send the item off for service? What is LP going to charge for service? Ask them, they'll tell you. Last of all I decided on a console that the user replaces the batteries. The batteries may not last as long, but go buy some at radioshack and keep them in your save a dive kit with the tools to replace them. Last but not least KNOW HOW TO REPLACE THEM!!! I saw someone that almost left the o-ring out when he reassembled his comp. Also consider who can teach you the in's and out's of your comp Hope this helps

msedivingdoc once bubbled...
I have had a pleasure dealing with Lp in the past and yes the deals are great... One thing to consider is the warranty! Although LP will agree to match any warranty put out by the manufacture; you will have to send it to them for service. Local dive shops will not be able to service the products because most have free part and sometimes labor available for being a dealer of a specific line. This service is paid for by the additional money you pay at the dive shop along with the commission of the store. If you are buying a computer this is important. Think of this before you buy... Can you afford to send the item off for service? What is LP going to charge for service? Ask them, they'll tell you. Last of all I decided on a console that the user replaces the batteries. The batteries may not last as long, but go buy some at radioshack and keep them in your save a dive kit with the tools to replace them. Last but not least KNOW HOW TO REPLACE THEM!!! I saw someone that almost left the o-ring out when he reassembled his comp. Also consider who can teach you the in's and out's of your comp Hope this helps

How many computer problems can an LDS actually repair at their shop without sending the unit in to the factory? My guess is not many. That would not make them much different than LP.

Spray25

Ditto. Could not have said it better myself. I have bought all mine and my wifes gear from LP. Have never had a problem. Actually, my theory on this is that I have saved so much money from LP as compared to MY LDS that if I did have a problem and LP did nothing..........I could by again from LP and still be ahead of LDS.

I buy from LP all the time (I stopped by yesterday and dropped $150 on stuff). If the LDS was allowed to discount their products and they could be "somewhat" competative to LP, I'd buy from them.

When it came time for me to buy my regs (scubapro mk25af/s550) I bought from a authorized dealer in canada. I saved about $100 from the LDS but paid about $75 more than LP.

I have no problem paying a "little bit" more for a LDS, but not a huge amount more.

Check this out http://www.diversunion.org/

Charlie...

I agree that LP may seem better to some. I bought some things from them that I will always buy from them. If it's an item that may need support, I don't want to have to send it off. Eventually the inconvienince of mailing and paying for the service will add up. If you can buy gear online and save both immediately and in the future then by all means do it! For me i like to have gear I can service or the local store can take care of. Also most LDS will adjust prices if you barter and tell them the LP price. I just think the consumer needs to take alll the costs into effect. Wetsuits, fins, masks...great buy on LP. Comps... if the user does the batteries; great buy on LP. Non-user serviceable comps... not a great deal if you have to wait to send it off then get it back. Regs.. without the MFR's waranty becomes a big hassle... trust me I've already dealt with it.

and buy the important items (regulator) from a LDS that you trust and are willing to be involved with.

I still buy my regulators and BC from my original dive store/instructor that I have known since 1989. He is in Texas and I am in Colorado. I get deals that beat or match LP, plus the warranty and services of a LDS.

Long term relationships pay.

I work across the street from LP; fins, lights and other crap I buy there, but Regulators - absolutelly no! I have seen 3 people in the store returning the regs saying that they don't breath properly.

so, I am not sure abotu them. They certainly don't look like divers to me. But I like how cheap their prices are. Local Dive shops hate them.

I work across the street from LP; fins, lights and other crap I buy there, but Regulators - absolutelly no! I have seen 3 people in the store returning the regs saying that they don't breath properly.

so, I am not sure abotu them. They certainly don't look like divers to me. But I like how cheap their prices are. Local Dive shops hate them.

Well, it is no surprise that the Local dive shops around LP dislike them....

As for three people returning regulators...I wonder how many they've sold that have been fine. Were the ones being returned on a recall notice? Just curious...

You were in the store when this happened? All being returned at the same time? Do you know why? Which make and models?

My Oceanic Delta III CDX5 I bought from them works fine so far, as does my computer, etc.

Thanks,

Sean

I live in NYC and just bought an new X-Vision mask at LP. If you're in the area I highly recommend going to their store on 18th st. They had 30-40 masks on display. Most LDS have 5. I bough my fins there and again they had a huge selection. They also don't push their most expensive item, in fact they seem to push their least expensive. I'm not really sure how they can sell so cheap, but they are less then half of any LDS I've seem for almost everything.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom