The great big, all-inclusive Leisure Pro note

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I wasn't disputing the service agreements, only saying that legally, they are not protected against witholding someone's equipment for over two months.

OK Here is what has happened. I called Suunuto USA repair place and talked to a lady named Lupe'. I told her the whole story and gave her the SN# of the computer she said they did not have it. She asked where I bought it and I told her. She said that if LP had sent it to them they would not honnor the warranty since LP is not a autherized dealer. She told me to call LP and ask where they sent it and get the return # and where they sent it so I did. I called LP and told them I had talked to Suunuto USA repair place and they do not have my computer and told them what Suunuto told me and that I needed to know where they sent it so I could call that place myself. Was told hold on I will talk to the guy who takes care of that, I said Ok. He came back and said LP was sorry for the mix up and they decided to send me a new one and I should get it at the first part of next week. yipi! I guess they just half to eat one every now and then. Thanks for the push to get me going.

downunderjenn:
I wasn't disputing the service agreements, only saying that legally, they are not protected against witholding someone's equipment for over two months.

That's just the point, though -- it doesn't seem fair to score that against LeisurePro when everyone else offers exactly the same (zero) protection.

I posted this in the computer forum a while ago, but it seems like a good time to repost:

Here are the facts of my dealings with LP. I invite Max, the store manager, to dispute any of them. (Hint: Max, I saved all of our emails about the following):

(1) I bought an aeris atmos elite from LP. I was weary of buying such an important item online, but was assured by the salesman (AND their website) that they would provide an equal or better warranty.

(2) I had signal problems (kept losing my signal).

(3) I called aeris, who acknowledged that the problem existed in some units. They told me to send it in to them and that it would take approx. 2 weeks to repair. I told them that I bought it through LP, and they insisted that I have LP send it to them.

(4) I call LP and they agree to send it back to Aeris for me. I asked how long it would take. They told me two MONTHS. I asked why it would take them 6 additional weeks while Aeris told me that they only needed 2 weeks. LP gave the following reasons:

(a) LP did not want to send my unit alone back to aeris. They wanted to wait (perhaps a week or two) until they had other units to send with it, presumably to save on some shipping.

(b) LP explained that manufacturers typically fix the units from warranty holders first, before turning to units sold by LP. So utimately, items purchased from LP take longer to repair.

(5) I was outraged and demanded to speak to the general manager, Max. I asked "how could this be an equal or better warranty if I have to go without my computer for 6 additional weeks just because I bought it through you?"

(6) After a great deal of protesting, Max agreed to send the computer out immediately. It wound up only sitting in the store for about 3 days.

(7) I explained my sitaution to Aeris and they were kind enough to rush the repair. It took 2 weeks.

(8) The unit was scheduled to be returned to me just before my dive trip and there was a chance it wouldn't arrive in time, so I asked Aeris and Max (LP) to have it shipped directly to me.

(9) Max refused, because it would "mess up his paperwork." I insisted and kept mentioning all of the business I had given them in this year alone. Ultimately, he made me sign a waiver releasing him from any liability should the unit not reach me.

(10) Happy ending: I got my atmos elite back in time for the trip; it works great now.

Morale of the story: I only saved a few bucks ($25?) buying the computer from Leisure Pro. I would have been waiting 2 months for my computer to be repaired if I hadn't been so pushy with them. Their "service" is horrible. They care more about saving a few bucks on shipping or whether their paperwork would be more difficult than their customers, even the ones that spend thousands in their store. They are rude and have absolutely no business sense. THEIR WARRANTY IS NOT AS GOOD AS THE MANUFACTURER'S!!!

I will never spend another cent in their store. I've found that my LDS will come damn close to their prices, and other web sites will usually match them.

Advice to new divers: If you must, use them for the cheap prices and selection on cheaper items (e.g. a mask strap that you can't find anywhere). But be careful about buying large ticket items from them. Try to get your LDS to come close and spend the few extra dollars. Or check out the other online shops (scuba.com, scubatoys.com -- I've had luck with both of them). Trust me, you won't regret it....

PS: All of LP's salespeople regularly post on this board. Take every post with a grain of salt!

downunderjenn:
I greatly appreciate all the info/opinions on this thread, as I'm concerned about LP service, and cancelling my order to buy from another dealer.

Before you do that, I would suggest you do a search for LP threads and read them - be prepared, there's a lot of reading there. And while there are some folks who have bad experiences such as ones listed here, you'll find the overwhelming majority of posters have had positive interaction with LP and have saved lots of money. I had good experiences with LP, as well as with Simply Scuba and Dive Inn, both in Europe.

Got Screwed:
PS: Take every post with a grain of salt!

Good advice to heed. :wink:

Marc

Either Scubatoys.com, Scuba.com, or DiversDirect.com are authorized dealers of the products they sell. Moreover, if you call them (it doesn't work any other way), and wish to purchase a product you saw on LP's catalog, both scubatoys and scuba.com will match the price (not sure about diversdirect though, although they do have a 30 day refund/exchange policy). So, you end up with the price from LP and a product purchased from an authorized dealer. Don't believe me? Call and ask!!

Personally, anything that requires servicing (as does any Life Support Equipment), I purchase locally, so that if and when it requires servicing the only waiting period I deal with is their normal turnaround time. Something about "you get what you pay for" that sticks in the back of my mind. I have purchased a couple of things in the past from LP, but it has been limited to reels and fins.

Just my 2 psi

RIDIVER501:
Suunto is a product falling under Aqualung's pervue.
LP is not an Aqualung authorized dealer.
Aqualung doesn't honor warranties on items sold by LP.
LP's Warranty for those types of Items are worthless.
(my guess is it is taking so long becuase LP is trying to find some authorized dealer to try to back channel your computer back to AL to get it fixed under warranty. But that is my guess.)
LP is not the place to buy your gear.
I am not saying not to buy your gear online I am saying to buy your gear from authorized deals be it online or your LDS.
Last time I checked, Suunto was not a US owned company - Aqualung might be the US distributor, but there's nothing to stop LP buying legitimately-warrantied Suunto computers from a European distributor and offering them to US customers at a *realistic* price. Anyone buying from LP should be aware of what the term "grey market" means, and that it can entail longer warranty service, because they aren't supported by the local distributor, they're supported by a foreign distributor.

Similar example - I bought my Vytec from a euro online shop, total cost, about $750-800 USD from memory. Current equivalent retail price from an "authorised" Suunto dealer in Australia - about $1450 USD at the moment. I choose to take the risk that if there's a problem with it, I need to ship it to Spain for warranty work. I'm betting that the shipping is going to cost me less than the $650-700 USD I saved.

Just a little vent and helpful tip for those looking to buy equipment online. I was seduced by the online prices of equipment from that all to famous online diving supplier. I placed an order followed their policy & paid for expidited shipping only to receive the order the day after the holiday weekend I needed it. The problem was explained away as a mistake with a, "Sorry". (add cost of rental equipment) :icorolley

Aright mistakes happen, so I placed another order a week prior to my upcoming vacation, followed up & followed up. After being told twice that my shipment had gone out, today, I was told that it hadn't gone out yet. Not only that, but if I wanted it before my vacation, I would have to pay an additional $75.00. The situation was excused it the comment, "Things Happen". So much for the bargain prices. I'm sticking with my LDS from now on. I may not get the online prices, but I can at least look at the person I am dealing with. :bash:

I usually place my orders right after a vacation. Never had any problem with delivery times. If you like to wait till last minute and don't mind paying a bit more, you would probably be much better off with your LDS.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom