the "Eco Kick" ...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I teach them as "anti-silting kicks". I think that there are a number of us who teach this from OW on. No, not all of my students have a great frog kick when they finish. I leave it up to them to decide how important it is to them.

It has been many years since I learned to dive, but the frog kick was taught to me back in the 80s from a BSAC instructor when I lived in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia. I emulated it because it was more relaxed and gave me more control whilst positioning myself to take photographs, improved my air consumption, as well as making it easier to learn how to swim backwards, which is a sort of reverse frog kick (in my mind anyway)

When I got my Open Water Cert. They actually required swimming skills as a requirement to certification. The "Frog Kick" was just one of several kicks that were taught and you were required to master them before progressing through the course. I use the frog kick almost exclusively when swimming without fins. I would frequently swim the length of an Olympic swimming pool under water using a combination of "eco kick" and breast stroke.

I think that is the nature of this discussion...mostly.

Many OW programs don't require it, and some won't allow instructors to make it a requirement on their own. What agency did you get your OW with?

I think that is the nature of this discussion...mostly.

Many OW programs don't require it, and some won't allow instructors to make it a requirement on their own. What agency did you get your OW with?

I got certified by NAUI, PADI and YMCA in 1975. The instructor took the most strengent requirements from each organization and combine them into a single course. If I recall it was about a 3 week course with lots of pool time, followed by a fresh water and two salt water dives off the coast of Panama City.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2

I got certified by NAUI, PADI and YMCA in 1975. The instructor took the most strengent requirements from each organization and combine them into a single course. If I recall it was about a 3 week course with lots of pool time, followed by a fresh water and two salt water dives off the coast of Panama City.
You have 3 agency cards and got them all at the same time from 3 checkout dives? While that's not possible today, that's still impressive for someone who would be a card collector. Generic question but given I don't have a pool to try this out in and it's too cold for my preference at the moment, how do you do frog kicks without full fins? I thought they didn't work with split fins because there wasn't enough surface area for the thrust? Does the position change significantly when treading water?

Almost sounds that as time passes certs become less and less about teaching people a whole host of skills and techniques, not only for your sake but others and more about just money. Kind of depressing to compare notes about what others got to learn in their regular open water courses by comparison; this is all something I have to search out separate.

You have 3 agency cards and got them all at the same time from 3 checkout dives? While that's not possible today, that's still impressive for someone who would be a card collector. Generic question but given I don't have a pool to try this out in and it's too cold for my preference at the moment, how do you do frog kicks without full fins? I thought they didn't work with split fins because there wasn't enough surface area for the thrust? Does the position change significantly when treading water?

Almost sounds that as time passes certs become less and less about teaching people a whole host of skills and techniques, not only for your sake but others and more about just money. Kind of depressing to compare notes about what others got to learn in their regular open water courses by comparison; this is all something I have to search out separate.

I have never had a problem with "surface area". The kick works fine with no fins.

I have never had a problem with "surface area". The kick works fine with no fins.

are you sure you are doing a frog kick with no fins?

A frog kick uses the entire surface area of the bottom of the fin for propulsion.

With no fins on, the bottom of your foot is not very big, so a better kick is the kick used with the breast stroke in swimming (although I believe it is also commonly referred to as a frog kick lol) which uses the side of the foot, and the side of the leg for propulsion and benefits from the greater surface area.

There are some great instructors out there, that aren't just about getting the class done quickly and check the minimum blocks.
As you said, search them out, and separate the great from the sub-standard.
As I read more on Scuba Board, I pay attention to the posts from certain instructors. I think the pendulum might be swinging the other way...more toward those that offer substance and quality.
Hopefully it will become more widespread, as divers start actively seeking higher standards.

Cheers,
Mitch

Yep. I can't understand why they have to call them "scuba divers" rather than "frogmen" like in the good 'ole days!
If they made it more PC and called them "frogpersons" I could live with that.
They would if more divers would learn to frog kick.

are you sure you are doing a frog kick with no fins?

A frog kick uses the entire surface area of the bottom of the fin for propulsion.

With no fins on, the bottom of your foot is not very big, so a better kick is the kick used with the breast stroke in swimming (although I believe it is also commonly referred to as a frog kick lol) which uses the side of the foot, and the side of the leg for propulsion and benefits from the greater surface area.

You mean I have been doing it wrong all these years???:eek: now what am I going to do?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom