Frog kick efficiency

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The frog kick is efficient when used for it's best purpose which is to move slowly along and not stir up the bottom (or stay off the reef). As used in SCUBA, not competitive fin swimming, it is 60% glide. I hurt my left ankle long ago in a triathlon falling during the run transition and then some time back had some cute titanium pins installed in my left hip thanks to a cycling crash so I do not find a frog kick especially comfortable for any length of time. I can frog kick, I choose not to. Instead I do some sort of weird kick that starts off as like a side stroke scissor and ends with a frog like clap, whatever it is it works for me, does not stir up silt and moves me along.
You are using an horizontal scissor kick. It is what I use in caves with my long freediving Rondine Gara fins.
It allows to keep the legs perfectly straight and avoids the risk of hitting the ceiling of the cave, which I have seen occurring with frog kickers.
It is also more efficient than frog kicking...

When using my split fins thrust is much less compared to my standard fins in any mode, but standard fins are more taxing on my legs . All is a trade off
Of course. Fins of different length/stiffness change the "gear ratio" of the "transmission".
That is the reason for which there is not a single type of fins and kicking for all the possible cases.
Diving in a cave is very different from a reef channel in Maldives, where the current is so strong that can easily rip off your mask.

Well, perhaps, but in one version of my side scissor/frog amalgamation I do "clap" the bottom of my fins and can keep my fins basically up behind me so as the fins never drop below my (horizontal) position.

Competitive fin swimming and SCUBA has about as much in common as do motorcycles and bicycles, they both have two wheels and it ends about there.

Well, perhaps, but in one version of my side scissor/frog amalgamation I do "clap" the bottom of my fins and can keep my fins basically up behind me so as the fins never drop below my (horizontal) position.

Competitive fin swimming and SCUBA has about as much in common as do motorcycles and bicycles, they both have two wheels and it ends about there.
I also clap my fins together. Then I stay with the fins clapped together and legs perfectly straight, advancing by inertia.
If, during this "sliding", you flex your knees and raise the fins above your body, you cause more drag and you risk hitting the ceiling...

When using my split fins thrust is much less compared to my standard fins in any mode, but standard fins are more taxing on my legs . All is a trade off

You need to replace your octo with Air2 and sling a SpareAir on the right, for split fins to work as intended.

DPV is the most efficient kick. This argument will never end.
DPV (Diver Propulsion Vehicle) is not a kick. Though you can get a “kick” out of using it. :wink:

SeaRat

Back
Top Bottom