The Dilemma

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As for cash, I carry it at home, so why would I avoid carrying it in Cozumel? It’s not like bands of thieves are roaming the streets. Just take as much care as you would in any city.
In the sense that I don't have to carry my wallet or cash and can help myself to food and drinks whenever. I like the carefree and not having to worry mood of the AI setup.

An AI vacation has never appealed to us when we vacationed in Cozumel. We stayed once at ElCozumelano at the insistence of some friends years ago. It was nice being on the ocean but the food was beyond horrible and the poolside bingo game interrupted our after dive nap. It was annoying. Diving and food are big draws for us. We tried some oceanfront hotels and condos but decided that we preferred a house or condo in the Corpus Christi area. Much less expensive, and we didn’t have to contend with kids playing Marco Polo while we tried to enjoy the pool. We rented a car, visited beach clubs, ate out and drove to the marina. In 20 plus years it’s always worked well for us. A few dissapointing meals now and then, no issue with being robbed, no police issues or even gas station scams although 10 years ago an attendant may have stolen a gas Cap. We live here full time now and given our vacation style we’re very prepared for life on an island. I hope you solve your “dilemma”.

In the sense that I don't have to carry my wallet or cash and can help myself to food and drinks whenever. I like the carefree and not having to worry mood of the AI setup.

In that you have never stayed AI, maybe you should do that. You're only going to be there a few days so even if you decide you don't like it, it's only for a few days. You may be impressed with the food, you may not, it'll soon be over but you'll have a glimpse of what it's like.

Whatever you decide, you'll very likely enjoy your time there.

Aren't they in the same union and share a radio network?

You were spending USDs, not Pesos? I think Pesos work better with taxis better than anywhere else.
Yeah I think I saw them radioing each other like “this gringo just rejected my $15 dollar fare, don’t take less than $15”, they probably do that. No, I offered in pesos as that’s primarily what I use when I’m done there, was just converting to dollars for conversation.

• Getting off topic a bit but what I have starting doing is telling them I am interested in a east side half day excursion “in a few days”, that usually sets the hook and results in a cheaper fare because they think they are getting a $120 for a four hour fare. My wife cringes when I do that but hey, when in Rome.

Sounds like an AI would suit you. To me, “carefree” means being able to roam the streets and stop in wherever I want for food and drinks. Granted, that may be “wherever“ but not necessarily “whenever.” As I understand AIs, some eatery will be open at any given time of the day or night. They might have a pizza bar open at 3am. Not so outside in the real world. To me, having to conform my tastes to the limited selection at an AI is the opposite of “carefree.”

I haven’t stayed at a true AI resort, only dedicated dive resorts, when that was the best option for diving. The resort aspect of it was not a plus for me but rather something I had to live with in order to access their diving. On the one cruise I took, I felt like a prisoner, so I don’t think AI would be for me.

Anyway, Coz is great in that there are options to suit every taste. Enjoy your trip, whatever you book!

I don’t know, maybe I got a bad round of drivers. Glad you fared better. From Diego’s tacos by the airport to the north zone, say near Villa Aldora, the first two taxis wouldn’t take less than $15. I said “no way, I’ll wait”. Next two wouldn’t take less than $12, I settled for the fifth one for $10 and it took a lot of bargaining to get that. The three previous trips, all in the last year, I never paid more than $6 for the same ride. It’s literally like a six minute drive. I wonder if they communicate with each other to “stick” it to guy. Kinda felt and looked that way.
My wife and I took a cab to Cozumel Scuba Repair from Blue Angel a couple of weeks ago; BA is about a mile south of town and Scuba Repair is way back from Melgar in the center of town (Calle 1a sur between Avenida 85 and 90). It was 120 pesos each way, which is about six bucks US. I don't know what situation you ran into, but cab fares are determined by origination and destination zones, not by the length of the trip. It could be that fares into and out of the zone where the airport is are more pricey; I doubt the taxi drivers were conspiring against you over the radio.

So many choices on Cozumel. Not on the bargain end of the spectrum but we decided to stay in a Residencia Reef Condo, the prices run the gambit although we selected a condo right on the beach at $350.00 per night that was recently remodeled and had a great upper patio to watch the sunsets. We also utilized the private chef a $45 dollars per person per day for breakfast and dinner for three of the days, after the first day there were more than enough leftovers for lunch the remaining days, we ate in town for the rest of the days and were never disappointed.

We were picked up at the dock at the resort next door on our dive days paying them $2.00 per day for the convenience . Being well south of town the trips to the reefs were short and we returned early enough to enjoy lounging around the pool, there is a beach club just down the the way and we had a couple of lunches and drinks there.

We each brought down 2 bottles of wine from the US in protective boxes and purchased alcohol and beer locally, we would mix up a batch of Margaritas put them in a cooler that was in the condo and head down to the pool to avoid going back to and from the condo.

We did rent a car to be able to shop and go back a forth to town for dinners and an occasional lunch and to be entertained by the balloon heads.

So it was about $500.00 per person for three couples for seven days including meals at the condo and car rental, of course the meals in town and incidentals add to this.

We have been down the AI path many times and can say that this was one our most relaxing and enjoyable stays in Cozumel at what we would consider a very reasonable cost compared to the experience

To me, “carefree” means being able to roam the streets and stop in wherever I want for food and drinks.
That raises a good point; the opportunity cost of an A.I. (at least for us cheap people). If I book an A.I., especially a nice one, I feel like I've already paid for my food. If I then get food from an outside restaurant, it's like I threw that money away. I'm paying twice for food and eating once. An outrage!

So if you're on the dive boat and hear someone raving about the fajitas at Casa Cuzamil, or that octopus linguini at Kondesa, and you think 'Hey, I might like to try that,' are you willing to go pay for it, on top of the extra you paid for an A.I.?

A.I. appeals in that you needn't exit the property to eat. The counter-argument is you may want to, but resent paying twice.

That raises a good point; the opportunity cost of an A.I. (at least for us cheap people). If I book an A.I., especially a nice one, I feel like I've already paid for my food. If I then get food from an outside restaurant, it's like I threw that money away. I'm paying twice for food and eating once. An outrage!

So if you're on the dive boat and hear someone raving about the fajitas at Casa Cuzamil, or that octopus linguini at Kondesa, and you think 'Hey, I might like to try that,' are you willing to go pay for it, on top of the extra you paid for an A.I.?

A.I. appeals in that you needn't exit the property to eat. The counter-argument is you may want to, but resent paying twice.
Excellent Points and the fact that I'll be leaving to go to Tres Pelicanos I might as well stay out in town.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom