The Dilemma

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My wife and I stayed at Casa Mexicana and dove with Tres Pelicanos about 3 years ago (before COVID). We found Casa Mexicana to very clean and comfortable. Maybe not a luxury hotel, but very modern, plus they had an outstanding breakfast buffet. Tres Pelicanos is just around the corner and Jeanie at 3P will get it booked for you at a good package price. I think we were on the 4th floor and our room had a fantastic view with a nice breeze on the porch. I give both 2 thumbs up!

I stay at an AI that has great grounds, great pool and decent food. I get picked up at the dock each morning by my favorite op. We are back to the hotel by noon. Chill at the resort all day.
About how much do you figure you pay per day for that? I'm asking so it can be compared to the cost for Casa Mexicana and Cozumel Palace. You bring up some good points.

Some of the southern A.I. Resorts also have sandy beaches, which is important to some people. Those traveling with non-dives may have spouses or kids to entertain.

A big question each must answer for himself; what elements of 'luxury' matter? Over and beyond a big enough, clean room and comfortable bed, and shower with hot water, what 'extras' matter to you?

I have stayed at the palace and other AI with family trips. With young kids it is great. I stay at casa mexicana when I come down solo or with my buddies. You will have a great time either way! Cozumel is a fun place, they more ways you experience it the better:)

Pay very close attention to this. You aren't getting recommendations as much as you are getting people looking for validation of their preferred choices. Most of the people not recommending things have never stayed at the place and just lump non-equal things together.

I stay at an AI that has great grounds, great pool and decent food. I get picked up at the dock each morning by my favorite op. We are back to the hotel by noon. Chill at the resort all day. If we feel like like eating in town we just get a taxi. I'm not even going to bother naming my favorite AI because I will get shouted down by the townies.

I am headed there in June with my whole family because my daughter as her graduation present asked to go to Cozumel and bring a friend. I can guarantee that would not be happening if we stayed in town.

Take home message: make sure you get recommendations from people that share your values and travel preferences.
Dont forget to take your daughter and her friend to swim with the whale sharks. Blue H2o Cozumel gives Scubaboard discount.

First you say this:
You aren't getting recommendations as much as you are getting people looking for validation of their preferred choices.
And then you go on to do the same thing:
I stay at an AI that has great grounds, great pool and decent food. I get picked up at the dock each morning by my favorite op. We are back to the hotel by noon. Chill at the resort all day. If we feel like like eating in town we just get a taxi.
No one is shouting anyone down; we are just stating our preferences. I prefer to stay close to town, eat in town, and stay in goldilocks (not too pricey, not too cheap) accommodations; it works for me and I don't need it validated. As the French say, vive la différence.

Take home message: make sure you get recommendations from people that share your values and travel preferences.

I think most of us are making clear our values and travel preferences when we give our recommendations. My first guess with the "great pool" is Hotel Cozumel. I've stayed there at least 4x but my gf hates the hard beds and tiny rooms. I think Allegro has taken over last place for her, though. Iberostar was excellent. We usually go non-AI so that we can do the local thing but like AI about 1 in every 5 or 6 trips for the convenience. We go 2-3x per year so that means we do AI about once every 2 or 3 years. AI is good for groups and families because you don't have to herd the cats as much.

If you do AI, take a stack of $1 and $5 bills for tips.

I think the general idea of All Inclusive (I've never been to one) is appealing because the food is available whenever and I don't have to worry about carrying cash or trying to find some where to eat.
In some places in the world, I’d agree, but you can hardly walk out the door in Cozumel without tripping over a place to eat. Spoiled for choice is how I’d describe it. Food is everywhere. I don’t have enough days in my vacation to eat at all the places I’d like to hit. Breakfast is the only meal that requires some thought, so you can be on time for your boat pickup. As for cash, I carry it at home, so why would I avoid carrying it in Cozumel? It’s not like bands of thieves are roaming the streets. Just take as much care as you would in any city.

IMHO... Casa Mexicana and 3p's is not a bad combo. Our first three of four trips was spent at Blue Angel and all the diving there as well. I have nothing bad to say about the place. We treated it more or less like an AI, matter of fact, a few times they offered limited menu packages. To make a short story longer, we felt like we were cheating ourselves of the Cozumel experience by staying at BA. It is not super far out but a taxi or rental car is needed. Once staying in town I have decided there is no other spot for me but in town somewhere.

I just came back from two weeks on Cozumel, and I didn't find the taxi fares to be exorbitant. They were only a little higher than they were last year in pesos, so in dollars they were actually cheaper. Blue Angel to Mega used to be 80 pesos; this year it was 100 pesos each way, or about five bucks at 20:1. I don't know how much they would have charged me in USD.
I don’t know, maybe I got a bad round of drivers. Glad you fared better. From Diego’s tacos by the airport to the north zone, say near Villa Aldora, the first two taxis wouldn’t take less than $15. I said “no way, I’ll wait”. Next two wouldn’t take less than $12, I settled for the fifth one for $10 and it took a lot of bargaining to get that. The three previous trips, all in the last year, I never paid more than $6 for the same ride. It’s literally like a six minute drive. I wonder if they communicate with each other to “stick” it to guy. Kinda felt and looked that way.

I wonder if they communicate with each other to “stick” it to guy. Kinda felt and looked that way.
Aren't they in the same union and share a radio network?
I settled for the fifth one for $10
You were spending USDs, not Pesos? I think Pesos work better with taxis better than anywhere else.

Back
Top Bottom