The Dilemma

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Agreed. If you stay at Casa Mexicana, you would be so close to multiple food/snack options that it would probably beat the AI convenience when considering choices.
Plus Casa Mexicana has breakfast included, has a convenient 7-Eleven right outside the main entrance, and is literally right across the street from the dock where Aldora and some other dive operators pickup and drop off (assuming you would be diving with one of these). The shops for 3Ps and Aldora are also just around the corner, as well as the International Hospital. I believe 3Ps provide transport down to the marina from their shop, if you plan to dive with them.

There are tons of eating/drinking/shopping options easily accessible by foot. Downsides might be that there aren't really any good beaches at this location, and this side of town can get a little busy sometimes; especially when cruise ships are visiting, but they usually start to clear out by late afternoon. Staying in town also means longer boat rides to/from the most common/popular dive sites in the marine park south of town.

Casa Mexicana accommodations and 3P's diving booked through Jeanie at 3P's as a dive and stay package all the way. Best diving and in-town accommodations at a savings that you have all of San Miguel at your feet to drink and dine at the best restaurants in town that blows any food the Palace has away at a fraction of the price you'd pay to stay there as an AI tourist.

I'm planning a trip to Cozumel next year in October. I've never been and will be traveling with two other scuba divers who just recently got certified.

I am debating on whether or not to stay at Cozumel Palace All Inclusive or at a regular hotel like the Casa Mexicana.

I don't plan on using Aqua Safari if staying at Cozumel Palace. And would be using Tres Pelicanos or Aldora (from all the glowing recommendations here).

My biggest thing is the estimated $300 a night at Cozumel Palace vs $100 a night at Casa Mexicana and going out to eat in town. I don't drink so I think the All Inclusive might be wasted on me but I like the idea and convenience of being all to get food and snacks whenever via the hotel restaurants or room service. But at the same time I could save $200 a day to put towards diving and food out in town.

What do you Veterans of Cozumel think?
This was my 100% my though process when booking my Memorial Day trip. I decided to split the difference and both stay & dive with Blue Angels for the convenience and unlimited shore dive/snorkeling. We plan on heading into town each night for dinner while having lunch post morning dives. Hope it works out, will let you know.

Casa del Mar, like Blue Angel, would be another "splits the difference" choice. No charge for dock pick-up, but you'd be limited to dive ops that leave from downtown or the ops in the area. You'd have shore diving. It's a little more quiet than downtown. Resort feel but small grounds. Taxi for 3 to downtown would be about $4 per person round trip.

El Presidente is upscale and any/every dive op will pick you up at their dock as it's basically right next to and just south of the marina. I don't think they charge for dock pick-up. No shore diving. Pretty large grounds as far as I can tell. Taxi to downtown is probably $5-6 per person round trip.

Casa Mexicana would have no shore diving, is less convenient for all diving, but is very, very convenient restaurant/shopping wise. A short block or so walk to get on the boat of any shop leaving from downtown. Some dive ops will provide transportation to the marina to board their boat. In other cases, you'd have to take a taxi to the marina.

If I was forced to stay AI, and it would take force, I'd probably stay at a south AI for the proximity to dives sites, SI's back at the resort and I've been to all the reefs so life wouldn't end if I didn't get to dive Paradise, or Las Palmas, or Villa Blanca. (Life wouldn't end, but I would miss those reefs.) As I understand, with some of the south AIs, you could still dive those sites.

Have a great time!

I've never been and will be traveling with two other scuba divers who just recently got certified.
Suggestions for Cozumel newbies...

> DAN dive insurance is essential. Explanation available.
> Do not ever rent scooters.
> Get trip insurance with at least $100K medical unless you are totally sure that your home medical insurance will cover you well in Mexico. No one expects issues, but they happen. DAN offers a pretty good deal, but Generali has better rates. Repatriation is included in DAN membership, but also included in most plans.
> Hire private DMs for each newbie or couple the first day, and remind them to explain escaping down currents.
> Everyone buy and carry SMBs and Storm whistles even if using rental gear.

I guess you know to not drink the water and negotiate cab fares before boarding. Use your debit card at BANK OWNED ATMs (not free standing cash machines that are dangerous) to get Pesos as most things are cheaper in the local currency.

The last time me and my kid got an airbnb for like 70 or 80 a night close to down town. It was right across from some cigar bar that had fantastic AC. Lots good food there. I feel trapped with an 'all inclusive'.

Suggestions for Cozumel newbies...

> DAN dive insurance is essential. Explanation available.
> Do not ever rent scooters.
> Get trip insurance with at least $100K medical unless you are totally sure that your home medical insurance will cover you well in Mexico. No one expects issues, but they happen. DAN offers a pretty good deal, but Generali has better rates. Repatriation is included in DAN membership, but also included in most plans.
> Hire private DMs for each newbie or couple the first day, and remind them to explain escaping down currents.
> Everyone buy and carry SMBs and Storm whistles even if using rental gear.

I guess you know to not drink the water and negotiate cab fares before boarding. Use your debit card at BANK OWNED ATMs (not free standing cash machines that are dangerous) to get Pesos as most things are cheaper in the local currency.

Gotcha. I have Dan Insurance, I wouldn't rent scooters simply for the fact that I use to work in a Beach town where they were everywhere and there was always accidents and scams going on with "damage" done to them by renters.

I'll look into getting trip insurance, and I always hire a Private guide whenever I go on my vacation dives. My mindset with that is they can show me all the good stuff and they know their way around, and less chance of getting left behind if one of their employees are missing from the boat. Good to go on SMBs and Whistles.

And yes on the water and cab fare haggling/negotiating (had experience with that in several countries when deployed overseas). I plan on bring a good mix of small bills in USD and Pesos with me.

Thank you for your post!

Casa Mexicana would have no shore diving, is less convenient for all diving, but is very, very convenient restaurant/shopping wise. A short block or so walk to get on the boat of any shop leaving from downtown. Some dive ops will provide transportation to the marina to board their boat. In other cases, you'd have to take a taxi to the marina.

True, no shore diving in town but minimal shore diving available on the island as a whole. However, as far as diving with 3P's goes, it is a 4 minute walk around the corner from the Casa Mexicana to the back of the block where 3P's is to grab their free courtesy transport down to their boats at the marina and transport back after diving. For AM dives you'll leave the shop around 7:40AM and be back at the shop around noon to 1PM depending on the distance of dive sites visited that day and the traffic getting back to town.

Personally, for those who enjoy staying in-town like me I don't want a boat pick-up at the in-town Aqua Safari pier or others. I'd much rather ride for free in A/C and the courtesy transportation 3P's provides to the marina from town and then get on the boats there and head on to the southern dive sites. There are days that can be windy, rough, rainy, cold, etc. and I'd much rather be riding in courtesy road transportation from that marina back to town than in a boat back to an in-town dock all that way.

I am debating on whether or not to stay at Cozumel Palace All Inclusive or at a regular hotel like the Casa Mexicana.

I don't plan on using Aqua Safari if staying at Cozumel Palace. And would be using Tres Pelicanos or Aldora (from all the glowing recommendations here).

My biggest thing is the estimated $300 a night at Cozumel Palace vs $100 a night at Casa Mexicana and going out to eat in town.
Tres Pelicanos & Casa Mexicana, Cozumel Sept. 2018 Report - Tres Pelicanos/Casa Mexican Trip Report Sept. 2018

I stayed at Casa Mexicana, with a package arranged by Jeanie. Very satisfied with the trip. My room was clean, comfortable and reasonably spacious. Breakfast buffet was a perk and the dive shop was a quick walk.

As for getting food, not a big deal. Go downstairs, ride the escalator down as I recall, walk out the front door. Turn right and very quickly you're at Mary Juana, an outdoor access bar where I liked the fish tacos. You could just eat there. If you want to get out more, okay. Walk past Mary Juana, and take a right and walk down the street. You'll pass Tres Pelicanos and Aldora dive shops. Go to the end of the block. At the corner, you have a choice. Turn right and walk down to Kondesa for a bit of a more upscale sit down experience, or take a left and walk up the street to Casa Cuzamil (loved the fajitas). Going off memory, but I think that's right.

Counting the pier fee mentioned, you're looking at what, $225/night extra to stay at Cozumel Palace? Putting aside the question of whether it's worth the money or not, what added goods or services do you see them offering? Just a little closer to in-house restaurants?

How many dives/day do you hope to do? If it's 4, 2 2-tank trips, you may be spending lunch at the Money Bar waiting for the boat to pick you up for the afternoon trip. If you're just going in the morning, don't you figure you'll get bored hanging at the resort and head out to walk around and browse anyway?

I've never stayed at Cozumel Palace and I'm cheap, so you do you. I'm just curious what $225/night extra gets you:wink:

I'm planning a trip to Cozumel next year in October.
In 2023? Surely you mean this year.

For a random week I looked at in October, Priceline is offering the Palace at $212/night vs Casa Mexicana at $57. AIs can get so boring eating at the same places day after day while you could eat at a different & enjoyable place downtown every lunch & dinner for much less.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom