The Dilemma

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pay very close attention to this. You aren't getting recommendations as much as you are getting people looking for validation of their preferred choices. Most of the people not recommending things have never stayed at the place and just lump non-equal things together.

I stay at an AI that has great grounds, great pool and decent food. I get picked up at the dock each morning by my favorite op. We are back to the hotel by noon. Chill at the resort all day. If we feel like like eating in town we just get a taxi. I'm not even going to bother naming my favorite AI because I will get shouted down by the townies.

I am headed there in June with my whole family because my daughter as her graduation present asked to go to Cozumel and bring a friend. I can guarantee that would not be happening if we stayed in town.

Take home message: make sure you get recommendations from people that share your values and travel preferences.

Obviously I’m a fan of the Casa Mexicana / 3P’s combo. However, after 20 years or so of diving the island and talking to lots of people who do the various AI options, from everything I have heard and broken down based on overall cost (because I was tempted to go the AI route at one point). The place I would go AI is the Hotel Cozumel and Resort. I’d book their AI option but I would dive 3P’s and be picked up and dropped off right in front of the resort for free by 3P’s. I’ve seen so many picked up there along the way to the marina and they all love the AI but obviously chose not to dive with its on-site dive op.

From what hear it has good food, the largest pool on the island and its private beach club that right across the street is supposedly great. Also, adding on the full AI option is so reasonable and because the property is so close to town that people staying there doesn’t feel like they are leaving money on the table if they walk it or cab it to town for some meals out.

Maybe others who have stayed there recently can comment but from what I’m told it’s the best AI for the price if you want an AI experience that doesn’t break the bank and offers more freedom than the southern AI’s that may as well be remote, land based cruise ships where high taxi fares to town and back can tend to lock people in.

In some places in the world, I’d agree, but you can hardly walk out the door in Cozumel without tripping over a place to eat. Spoiled for choice is how I’d describe it. Food is everywhere. I don’t have enough days in my vacation to eat at all the places I’d like to hit. Breakfast is the only meal that requires some thought, so you can be on time for your boat pickup. As for cash, I carry it at home, so why would I avoid carrying it in Cozumel? It’s not like bands of thieves are roaming the streets. Just take as much care as you would in any city.

Depends on where you stay. If in centro, sure. If around CDM or BA then a taxi ride except for 2 or 3 places nearby. But the point of AI is convenience. When at an AI, I step off the dive boat at noonish and stop for lunch on the walk to the room then to the pool. Takes zero extra time beyond the time to actually eat. No deciding where to eat. No walking or taxiing to it. No waiting for the menu, waiting to place the order, waiting for it to be brought, waiting for the check. Not everyone wants every meal to be an "experience". And it's nice to go more than two hours with ka-ching ka-ching. You pull 6000 pesos out of an ATM and three days later all you've got is 200 pesos and it's like where tf did it all go?

I carry cash at home. I carry my wallet at home. But I'm not in wet swim trunks all day when I'm at home. I don't think anyone is worried about getting robbed so much as just having the right amounts and denominations on hand and not having it fall out of pockets.

Yeah I think I saw them radioing each other like “this gringo just rejected my $15 dollar fare, don’t take less than $15”, they probably do that. No, I offered in pesos as that’s primarily what I use when I’m done there, was just converting to dollars for conversation.

It would be more helpful if you didn't "convert" and just relate the amount they requested in pesos.

Depends on where you stay. If in centro, sure. If around CDM or BA then a taxi ride except for 2 or 3 places nearby. But the point of AI is convenience. When at an AI, I step off the dive boat at noonish and stop for lunch on the walk to the room then to the pool. Takes zero extra time beyond the time to actually eat. No deciding where to eat. No walking or taxiing to it. No waiting for the menu, waiting to place the order, waiting for it to be brought, waiting for the check. Not everyone wants every meal to be an "experience".
I guess you're right, and I never thought of it that way. If thinking on the boat ride back about what kind of taco I want for lunch pegs me as a meal "experience" person, so be it. And I do need to stay in town for that.

I guess you're right, and I never thought of it that way. If thinking on the boat ride back about what kind of taco I want for lunch pegs me as a meal "experience" person, so be it. And I do need to stay in town for that.

Key word there is "I". If you're a solo traveler then there is far less time and energy wasted trying to reach a consensus with others about when and where to go. There are a few AI's in town.

But as I said, most of the time we prefer non-AI. We've stayed at a dozen different places there and done many different styles and approaches. There's a time and a place for all of them.

I am a dinner "experience person" on Cozumel, but for lunch not so much. I usually have a ham sandwich and a cervesa at the hotel for lunch.

I still think it was a zone issue rather than a taxista conspiracy. Maybe someone with access to the zone and fare chart could shed some light.
Yeah ok but last week was my fourth time there in a year. I am familiar with recent cab fare prices there. Diego’s tacos to north hotel zone was never more than 5-6 bucks or 100 pesos. It was literally 3-4 taxis in row that would start at $15 and barely negotiate down to $12. I also saw increased fares throughout the week as well. Might have been coincidental.

I still think it was a zone issue rather than a taxista conspiracy. Maybe someone with access to the zone and fare chart could shed some light.
To the best of my knowledge the rate charts haven't changed in 6 years. Per the rate chart Diego's tacos is in the Central zone 1 (very edge but still in it) and Villa Aldora is in North zone 1 so the official rate is $75 MXN.
That being said the fact that the rates haven't changed since 2016 is not good as the prices for fuel and everything else has steadily risen. Momacita in town may successfully argue the rate with a taxi and get them to operate by the rate card but I think a visitor is less likely to be successful. After the last increase in 2016 the taxi's were pretty good about following the rate cards for several years but when they did not get updated in a timely manner they seemed to be more inclined to go back to 'whatever the market will bear' pricing for tourists.
Second thing is the town Taxi union and the airport Taxi union have an official agreement that precludes them from picking up in each others territories and each have significant political power to back it up. Town taxi's picking up a tourist with luggage a block from the airport entrance is fooling no one and while some taxi's will do it they are risking a confrontation with the transportation police or the airport taxi union.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom