The Dilemma

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yeah ok but last week was my fourth time there in a year. I am familiar with recent cab fare prices there. Diego’s tacos to north hotel zone was never more than 5-6 bucks or 100 pesos. It was literally 3-4 taxis in row that would start at $15 and barely negotiate down to $12. I also saw increased fares throughout the week as well. Might have been coincidental.
Had you obviously just arrived on the island and walked out from the airport? If that were the case I guess that it's not all that surprising that the fare was higher. As I said earlier, when I was there a couple of weeks ago (about my 40th trip to Cozumel), the fare for my wife and me between Blue Angel and Cozumel Scuba Repair (about three miles by Google Earth measurement) was 120 pesos (~US$6) each way. We traveled by taxi the entire two weeks we were there and I did not find the taxi fares to be significantly higher than in previous trips.

We always take the shuttle from the airport, so I don't know anything about taxi fares from walkout points. I know that the fares to the airport are higher than other trips of similar distances.

Had you obviously just arrived on the island and walked out from the airport? If that were the case I guess that it's not all that surprising that the fare was higher. As I said earlier, when I was there a couple of weeks ago (about my 40th trip to Cozumel), the fare for my wife and me between Blue Angel and Cozumel Scuba Repair (about three miles by Google Earth measurement) was 120 pesos (~US$6) each way. We traveled by taxi the entire two weeks we were there and I did not find the taxi fares to be significantly higher than in previous trips.

We always take the shuttle from the airport, so I don't know anything about taxi fares from walkout points. I know that the fares to the airport are higher than other trips of similar distances.
Yes, we had just arrived and walked out to “the pickup zone” away from the airport like I had done the previous three times. Maybe I just had a run of rip-off drivers.

Yes, we had just arrived and walked out to “the pickup zone” away from the airport like I had done the previous three times. Maybe I just had a run of rip-off drivers.
IMO that explains it. The shuttles and taxis are connected (somehow), and if a taxi driver sees that you are dodging the shuttle he may charge you a premium for that. The "pickup zone" is very unofficial and subject to occasional crackdowns. What you experienced does not reflect a major increase in taxi fares or a general "soak the tourist" mentality on the part of the taxistas.

Not sure if this was mentioned, but Casa Mexicana has the dinkiest pool I've ever seen. And October is a hot month. Yes, you will be diving in the sea, but a pool is very nice amenity to have later in the day or in the eve. Whatever you decide I'm sure you will have a great time, and be thinking about your next trip before you leave. :)

Agreed the pool is small. About 4’ deep I believe. Not for lap swims, but nice to soak and watch the ocean with a beverage. Plus it’s mostly in the shade.

Agreed the pool is small. About 4’ deep I believe. Not for lap swims, but nice to soak and watch the ocean with a beverage. Plus it’s mostly in the shade.
I thought it was more like 2' deep, but it's been years since I have been up there. Perhaps the builder was limited by the amount of weight they could put in that place in the building.

Definitely more than 2'. I think 4' sounds about right.

Definitely more than 2'. I think 4' sounds about right.
Taken a couple of days ago. There is a shelf that’s about 6-8” deep where you can lay down and the main pool comes up to chest so I am estimating 4’.

Attachments

• 5BFBA49D-C48D-4A43-B9BC-64114C51D4EF.jpeg
    5BFBA49D-C48D-4A43-B9BC-64114C51D4EF.jpeg
    110.6 KB · Views: 66
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom