The DANGLE challenge

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'd worry about the strain on one's back or knees while standing up. What's his SAC with all that stuff dragging around in the water?

I saw a thread about when to dump one's weights...what would this guy do in an emergency? What would he dump first?

Bruce, I think he would be dead before he could get half that stuff off...

O2BBubbleFree:
Let's talk about some simple physics, shall we?

Water in water is neutrally buoyant, right? So in actuality he’s adjusting his buoyancy by venting a little air, not by adding water.

So what, right? Letting water in is the same as letting air out.

The difference is that all he’s really doing is venting air from the bottle instead of his BC.

You say half-full. I say half-empty. Nothing wrong with any of our arguments. Of course, if you let water in, air must escape. No question. (This is valid assuming he has no air in his BC of course).

You are absolutely missing nothing. :confined: Your argument is sound. I know. I argued your view all week. No question. BUT assuming that you could eventually manufacture a device that could be attached to you and have the characteristic of keeping your bouyancy neutral throughout the dive without you having to touch your BC ---- I think that it would have ...ta da...no value at all. It's Just plain silly. I prefer using my wing. I have no problems with bouyancy - he does. (And on this point, you have NO idea how badly he "suffers"!!) :wink:

BUT ALL THINGS ASIDE: the guy is an inventor with many profitable patents. His mind does not work like ours. He is constantly tinkering and playing with stupid-looking and ridiculous devices. Some work - some don't. I personally think that this is ridiculous..but who am I to argue. (No comments about his value as a buddy underwater please - Enuf said).

Please see next post. The evidence!!

Remember the jug.....??

OK. I have evidence. No photoshop here. Heck, I couldn't even if I wanted. The picture is just too good.

You should have seen the DM's face when he leapt in with the underwater refreshments attached to his BC! :cheers:

ItsBruce:
I'd worry about the strain on one's back or knees while standing up. What's his SAC with all that stuff dragging around in the water?

On each shore dive, I made sure that I entered first. (There were four of us). Just so I could watch the grand entry. That was special. I wish that I had picture of that. :54:

Nothing that we could say or do would dissuade him from looking like a christmas tree. He said that he simply had no shame. I said that he had more drag than a float in Key West. On those dives where he did not pop up early because of his weights -he was always too LIGHT - he actually did not do badly with his SAC.

Funny, funny thread! Dangle Factor, good stuff!

tridacna:
You say half-full. I say half-empty. Nothing wrong with any of our arguments. Of course, if you let water in, air must escape. No question. (This is valid assuming he has no air in his BC of course)....

The BC I was thinking of might have been made by Watergill. I know that, in addition to their ‘revolutionary’ AtPac BC, they made a regulator that had a unique 'safety' device. It 'sensed' the divers breathing, and if it thought the diver had stopped breathing, it slowly added air to the BC to bring the corpse to the surface.

And, as a matter of fact, there was a thread here on SB a couple of years ago where a guy was talking about designing a BC with a 'submarine-like' buoyancy system built in. Same as what your guy is doing. I described on that thread a device I was evaluating. It was an autonomous buoy that could be programmed to dive at set intervals and take temperature and salinity readings at programmed depths. Anyway, instead of adding and venting air, it had a piston that compressed an air chamber to dive, then let the air expand again to surface.

But I digress...

tridacna:
Remember the jug.....??

OK. I have evidence. No photoshop here. Heck, I couldn't even if I wanted. The picture is just too good.

You should have seen the DM's face when he leapt in with the underwater refreshments attached to his BC! :cheers:

Hee hee... Tri, that is classic. Thanks.

dbg40:
For some reason ,, im drawn to the hypnotic effect of the case/etch-a-sketch thing. Very original, all in all I would give him an 8.5 for originality!

I looks more like a Magna Doodle (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00000J06I?v=glance)

I bought one to try out while diving (about 5"x3"). But I've never managed to bring myself to actually take it with me underwater!

tridacna:
I said that he had more drag than a float in Key West.

Now That's funny!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom