The continuing sagas of the Blue Heron Bridge

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

frog11.jpg

For Perspective

frog22.jpg

frog32.jpg

OMG Ben it's the size of a freakin baked potato! How am I missing these guys?!?
Correct, the size of a baked potato. Send me a PM I will tell you where I found this one

Can't help but wonder where this guy was *before* he showed up at the bridge. Also wonder how often new froggies - and seahorses, for that matter - show up at the site.

Still reading the behavior book, but it's raising more questions for me. If so many of the babies go planktonic and go pelagic with the currents for weeks at a time, how come the same stuff tends to keep showing up at the same places? Fascinating stuff.

Kevin

Haven't been hooked or caught in any fishing line, but having trouble figuring out how badly I'd need a knife or scissors. This is the biggest weight I've seen to date down there. :D But, now that I think a little more about it, I reckon if it got wrapped around my legs or arms, it could probably get to be right aggravating. Haven't had to cut that stupid rope leading to my flag, yet. . .

Kevin

I have had a fisherman purposefully hook my flag on a night dive. I also had a friend snagged so bad that she was a marionette in the fishing line. Every time she moved a leg her arm would move. After I got control of my laughter we cut her free.

Getting the camera ready for todays dive. Hopefully the smooth seas will keep down the numbers at teh bridge today.

Just don't dilly dally with the pics. :D

Kevin

Correct, the size of a baked potato. Send me a PM I will tell you where I found this one

Thanks! I'm heading up later this week. I enjoy the "thrill of the chase" so I'll try looking myself again first. If I strike out (again!) I may take you up on your offer.

Haven't been hooked or caught in any fishing line, but having trouble figuring out how badly I'd need a knife or scissors. This is the biggest weight I've seen to date down there. :D But, now that I think a little more about it, I reckon if it got wrapped around my legs or arms, it could probably get to be right aggravating. Haven't had to cut that stupid rope leading to my flag, yet. . .

Kevin

2 situations I've had.....
#1 - My forward momentum came to a halt. Thought my flag was snagged on a piling. Tried to move forward to unsnag the flag. Not a good idea. Some fishing line must have caught my weight pocket. Yup! I pulled my weights out of the pocket. Again not good when you are so shallow with a million layers of rubber on. I did a good imitation of a helium balloon. fFnding myself unable to grab my weights I very neatly glided to the surface.
#2 - Forward momentum stopped. This time I checked myself out very carefully. My BC was snagged in some line. Grabbed my knife and cut my out. Always kept scissors with me up north. Going to start carrying them again down here along with my knife. Much better for cutting your way out of monofiliment and some of that other line that's as tough as nails.

I'd like to make a few suggestions regarding solo diving as many of us do it but (I would hope) all follow these general safety guidelines:

5) Wear ID. I wear a dog tag engraved w/ my name, DAN#, Tall Guy's name & number and important medical history info.

Anyone else - please feel free to chime in if I've forgotten something relevant.
Thanks Jet( ahhh.. those SoFl girls are so smart ) for your info.

Haven't been wearin' my Bike ID but from now on I will. Those solo divers that are not wearin' ID check it out.
Road ID® IDs: the Wrist ID Sport, the Wrist ID Elite, the Shoe ID, the FIXX ID

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom