The continuing sagas of the Blue Heron Bridge

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

And, with another set of eyes, think of how many more critters you'll be able to see. Some of them are camoflaged so well, they're tough to spot.
I stopped wearing camouflage a while ago...

Right now, I'm putting my camera together for tomorrow's dive :)

Hell, even when I am with a group of people at the bridge... I am still considered a solo diver. It usually takes one-two photo subjects before I find myself diving solo, but it always happens.

There are some of us who will spend 45 minutes attempting to get "the" shot we want, which really bores the heck out of the group.

My average photo count at the bridge per dive is 180...

Editing depends on the number of subjects... If I found 4 subjects to shoot, my edit time might be an hour choosing the image I want... If everything was on the move that day, it might take 8-10 hours to choose those subjects I feel represent my dive.

On top of all that, if I see a minute movement that appears suspect, I will shoot 20 or so images in an attempt to get one that shows what caught my eye... That's how I spotted and identified the "Caribbean Sea Spider" found in our local dive area... and now we have more than 30 sightings of different colors as well (There haven't been enough subjects sighted in any area, in enough abundance to justify capture of the subject to determine any real information... only short sightings of the subject... and enough to know there are several varieties...) NOW, IF THAT AINT A GOVERNMENT PARENTHESIS, I don't know what is... lol

This morning was a pretty dive. Not many folks out, but viz was good, temp 77 - 78, and the current gentle. Octopi still in abundance. Found a little guy who didn't seem all that healthy who had a couple of fireworms on him and more headed his way...reminded me of that shot I saw a few days back of an octopus under attack. I fanned the worms away from him and give a little respite, but doubt I accomplished much in the long run...he seemed....weak.

I know some of you guys see seahorses pretty much every dive, but they've been eluding me for the past few months. Broke my cold streak with a beauty...very big and very dark. 'Nuff said on the topic but it sure was exciting. Also saw my first mantis shrimp.

I love diving this bridge. I guess I've got a dozen or so dives here (not enough for troll status, but I aspire someday) and it's always a pleaser.

Pics from yesterdays dive:

222347_2049630643302_1320540436_32393912_1015907_n.jpg

Can't they chew with their mouths closed?? Great stuff!

Kevin

Is solo diving permitted at bhb?

I'd like to make a few suggestions regarding solo diving as many of us do it but (I would hope) all follow these general safety guidelines:

1) Make sure you are comfortable with your diving skills and won't freak out if you're alone. Be honest with yourself: you can panic in 15 ft. just as easily as 50.

2) Make sure you are confident with your compass/navigation skills. BHB is fairly easy to navigate - pretty straight N-S-E-W and so shallow that if you get too lost just pop up and take a look. There is also a cable (discussed on pages 375-376 of this thread) you can use as a guide along the west span. But viz can sometimes drop quickly and that can be disorienting.

3) Carry a cutting tool.

4) Let someone know you are going and when to expect to hear from you when you're back on the surface.

5) Wear ID. I wear a dog tag engraved w/ my name, DAN#, Tall Guy's name & number and important medical history info.

Anyone else - please feel free to chime in if I've forgotten something relevant.

Is solo diving permitted at bhb?

Yes: that is the way I do 90% of my dives at the bridge.

Like Jet pointed out, make sure you are comfortable with your skills (profile says 0-24 dives). It is really important to carry shears: more than once I've had a fisherman cast into me and had to cut the line. A really good dive knife works well too, but Sea Shears brand of cheapy shears are great at the bridge: they are $15 or so at Divers Direct or Force-E. It also helps to have good boyancy skills and don't acidentally place your hand on a scorpion fish while trying to balance: they are everywhere at the bridge.

just to chime in...more in agreement than anything else.

The only time I get underwater without TWO cutting tools, is in the hot tub.

And I sooo agree with the comment about the scorpionfish under the bridge. I sometimes anchor by touching with one finger. It's disconcerting to have what you put your finger on swim off....(I really, really lucked out that day - nothing but shudders for the next hour).

It is really important to carry shears: more than once I've had a fisherman cast into me and had to cut the line. A really good dive knife works well too, but Sea Shears brand of cheapy shears are great at the bridge: they are $15 or so at Divers Direct or Force-E.

Haven't been hooked or caught in any fishing line, but having trouble figuring out how badly I'd need a knife or scissors. This is the biggest weight I've seen to date down there. :D But, now that I think a little more about it, I reckon if it got wrapped around my legs or arms, it could probably get to be right aggravating. Haven't had to cut that stupid rope leading to my flag, yet. . .

Kevin

Attachments

• IMG_6580wa.jpg
    IMG_6580wa.jpg
    170.7 KB · Views: 95
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom