The continuing sagas of the Blue Heron Bridge

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How could you have never seen The Deer Hunter? :shocked2:

Next you will tell me you have never seen Apocolypse Now!

And never shall. I just don't like to see human suffering. Don't like horror movies, either.

As I went back and looked over those pretty, red sponges that the seahorse liked to wrap around, it now seems unlikely that *all* of them could have been "accidently" removed. I reckon it's just as good that one person can admire them in a tank as having them be there for many to enjoy in a "park" environment. :shakehead:

Kevin

Attachments

• IMG_4042wa2.jpg
    IMG_4042wa2.jpg
    135.1 KB · Views: 51
Kevin - all this talk of "not fighting" activities and Puff's eating habits ... you realize you're getting dangerouslyclose to discussing "Animal Behaviors"???

Ned DeLoach Reef Fish Behavior page 114
“An Orange Spotted goby lives in a mutualistic relationship with a near-blind snapping shrimp. The goby keeps guard for the shrimp who, in turn, keeps a burrow in good repair for both animals.”

goby&shrimp.jpg Blue Heron Bridge August 17, 2010

And never shall. I just don't like to see human suffering. Don't like horror movies, either.

As I went back and looked over those pretty, red sponges that the seahorse liked to wrap around, it now seems unlikely that *all* of them could have been "accidently" removed. I reckon it's just as good that one person can admire them in a tank as having them be there for many to enjoy in a "park" environment. :shakehead:

Kevin

I hate to tell you but those movies are make believe. :wink:

We were talking about th ebridge at our photo club meeting last night. I realized that I have been doing the bridge for over 10 years now.

Over the years I have seen the sponges and hydroids come and go. They will be thick one week, and then have a mass die off. Usually this occurs when they open the flood gates up stream to let fresh water run off out. The rapid change in salinity does it.

In this case however I don't think it is a natural occurance. Just be ready for this die off to happen once rainy season starts.

Here is a little video of "Puff" the seahorse I saw yesterday. If the Video Dude was married to a CPA (like I am) he would have been able dive instead of doing his taxes yesterday. We would be enjoying his professional quality work. :popcorn:

By popular demand (well demand by Jet126 anyway), I present to you - "Puff Daddy":

YouTube - Mystical Seahorse - 4.7.11

Enjoy!

behaviors book

Kevin - all this talk of "not fighting" activities and Puff's eating habits ... you realize you're getting dangerouslyclose to discussing "Animal Behaviors"???

Ned DeLoach Reef Fish Behavior page 114
“An Orange Spotted goby lives in a mutualistic relationship with a near-blind snapping shrimp. The goby keeps guard for the shrimp who, in turn, keeps a burrow in good repair for both animals.”

View attachment 92769 Blue Heron Bridge August 17, 2010

I *love* that kind of stuff. But, I figured that one book couldn't possibly contain a significant percentage of reef fish behavior, so I didn't buy it when I ordered the three book set.

So, do all of those holes I see with the gobies lying in front of them hold one of those myopic shrimp??

Kevin

Attachments

• IMG_3849wa2.jpg
    IMG_3849wa2.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 57
I hate to tell you but those movies are make believe. :wink:

We were talking about the bridge at our photo club meeting last night. I realized that I have been doing the bridge for over 10 years now.

Over the years I have seen the sponges and hydroids come and go. They will be thick one week, and then have a mass die off. Usually this occurs when they open the flood gates up stream to let fresh water run off out. The rapid change in salinity does it.

In this case however I don't think it is a natural occurance. Just be ready for this die off to happen once rainy season starts.

Would have loved to have been at the meeting. Just joined the club. My entries didn't place in the contest. :depressed: Considering the talent in that group, I'd better get used to it. :D

I *did* get to meet (well, impose myself upon) Steve Kovacs at the bridge a couple of times over the weekend.

Fascinating to learn about the fresh water effects. All of this stuff is still (pleasantly) new to me. Reminds me that the "Admiral" on the other side of the east bridge explained to me that Lake Worth actually used to be a fresh water lake, and that the Intracoastal Waterway hasn't always been one continuous path down the Florida coast, but parts of it had to be cut. Also said that some of the "inlets" are man-made.

Now that I think of it, one of the first changes that I noticed between trips to the bridge was the disappearance of the green stuff on the bottom between September and late December. It was amongst that green that I took one of the shots that I entered for the "green" portion of this month's club contest. Those guys now seemed to have turned dark brown. "Medussa" was the other.

Enjoying my education. But, I still don't care for blood and gore and torture. :D Don't even know if Private Ryan ever got saved. . .

Attachments

• KBryant-AprChall-IMG_5385.jpg
    KBryant-AprChall-IMG_5385.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_5388wa.jpg
    IMG_5388wa.jpg
    169.8 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_5438wa.jpg
    IMG_5438wa.jpg
    176.6 KB · Views: 42
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/