The continuing sagas of the Blue Heron Bridge

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nice pics! Can someone PM me the general location of those red/white/purple/yellow nudis so I can find one for Lindsay to photograph?

Diving today delayed for my group by an hour waiting out the thunderstorm. We dove the west side for a change of pace. We had a good time until we got out & found my friends car had been broken into. Not a good thing. So FYI leave in your car as little as possible. Both friends cell phones gone but luckily my car was okay & I had one

Diving today delayed for my group by an hour waiting out the thunderstorm. We dove the west side for a change of pace. We had a good time until we got out & found my friends car had been broken into. Not a good thing. So FYI leave in your car as little as possible. Both friends cell phones gone but luckily my car was okay & I had one

I am sorry to hear that. Is this a common occurrence there?

Sorry to hear about that Deb. That really sucks. Whose cars were broken into?

Not recently, but it used to be a regular problem there a few years ago. We used to make sure we had someone watching the cars when we used to dive there, but ever since they re-did the park it seemed to have stopped.

Did you guys alert anybody at the sheriff station right there at the park?

Due to a last minute decision I ended up joining my GF and her mom on a dive at the bridge this evening. Finally went back over to the east side, it has been quite a while. got in early and ended up doing 114 minutes.

The vis was spectacular (for the bridge).

Some highlights:
-A manatee bumped into one of our divers while she was taking a picture and then proceeded to sneak up behind me and swim within 6" of me! Startling but way cool!
-Saw a little tiny bright orange juvenile trunkfish. Probably 1/8" dia. wouldn't stay still enough to focus on it with the 105mm and too small for the 60mm
-4 frogfish
-Seahorse, pipefish
-Tons of undersized lobsters
-some large wierd flatwormish type thing
-a couple octos
- half dozen of the red/white nudis
-stumbled upon the section of submerged dock, first time I've seen it.
plus all the usual suspects

Some lowlights:
-For probably 20-30 minutes this group of 6 or 8 people were following us around, trying to see the critters we were looking at. Usually not a big deal, but 2 of our group of 3 were taking pictures (me being the flag boy.) Swim around us and keep going please. On a weekend I could understand because it is so crowded then but tonight there were only 15 divers or so in the whole place.
-The JASA Deep Obsession boat tied off on one of the mooring balls by the sunken motorboat out in front of the east span, one of their divers was letting what looked like a 4 year old girl in snorkeling gear breathe off her octo. Curious if the little girl knew to exhale on her ascent?

I'll try to get some pictures up soon once I get them.

I'd say fisheye is about right on this one....it was once not a savory area, but since the county did park improvements, every time I'm there, there are always police patrols on the prowl. That said, I still try to make a point to put the wallet in some deep hidden spot in the car/trunk area......just like anywhere, if a thief is observent enough, they'll figure out eventually that divers are leaving their cars unattended for x amount of time.......

Due to a last minute decision I ended up joining my GF and her mom on a dive at the bridge this evening. Finally went back over to the east side, it has been quite a while. got in early and ended up doing 114 minutes.

The vis was spectacular (for the bridge).

Some highlights:
-A manatee bumped into one of our divers while she was taking a picture and then proceeded to sneak up behind me and swim within 6" of me! Startling but way cool!
-Saw a little tiny bright orange juvenile trunkfish. Probably 1/8" dia. wouldn't stay still enough to focus on it with the 105mm and too small for the 60mm
-4 frogfish
-Seahorse, pipefish
-Tons of undersized lobsters
-some large wierd flatwormish type thing
-a couple octos
- half dozen of the red/white nudis
-stumbled upon the section of submerged dock, first time I've seen it.
plus all the usual suspects

Some lowlights:
-For probably 20-30 minutes this group of 6 or 8 people were following us around, trying to see the critters we were looking at. Usually not a big deal, but 2 of our group of 3 were taking pictures (me being the flag boy.) Swim around us and keep going please. On a weekend I could understand because it is so crowded then but tonight there were only 15 divers or so in the whole place.
-The JASA Deep Obsession boat tied off on one of the mooring balls by the sunken motorboat out in front of the east span, one of their divers was letting what looked like a 4 year old girl in snorkeling gear breathe off her octo. Curious if the little girl knew to exhale on her ascent?

I'll try to get some pictures up soon once I get them.

Sounds like a great dive except for the scuba stalkers. That seems to happen a lot there. It bugs the crap out of my wife. She has hd divers come plant right next to her to see what she is shooting. They usually stir up so much stuff that it ruins her shot.

Maybe she is just emitting this warm inviting vibe. :rofl3:

My GF and her folks dove the bridge last night. They said the visibility was down from thursday. They dove the west span and took a cast net off the rubble pile on the north side of the fishing bridge. They said there were only a handful of people diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom