The continuing sagas of the Blue Heron Bridge

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I agree! This place should be made a sanctuary and no scuba divers and especially photographers should be banned. They kick up the bottom and lay on it. We need to allow only freedivers who will stay off the bottom.
Sorry, I haven't had that kind of breath control, or sight for more than 20 years... :rofl3:

I agree! This place should be made a sanctuary and no scuba divers and especially photographers should be banned. They kick up the bottom and lay on it. We need to allow only freedivers who will stay off the bottom.

Been pondering the apparent "uniqueness" of the creatures found at BHB. First, I have essentially no other knowledge of the geography nor topology of the Intracoastal Waterway. I don't even know (but have wondered) what "Lake Worth" is.

But, I can't help but assume that there is a *lot* more of the southern (relatively warm year-round) Intracoastal that has similar characteristics and which must have a similar (possibly even greater?) fauna mix.

Until recently reading references to "Peanut Island", I hadn't really thought about "why" there is a "side band" off the Intracoastal at the bridge - the "south", beach area with the shopping carts. I haven't been to the area of the "east" bridge, as it has had construction going on ever since I've learnt of this site.

I'm sure that there must be some of you guys who have your own boats down yonder and therefore have access to lots of other shallow spots off the Intracoastal. I'd love to know what anyone knows about such things. Are we merely "searching under the streetlight"?

Part of what I wonder is how quickly another fascinating critter might come in to take advantage of a recently vacated niche once one of his brethren has been "collected".

Bottom line, I wonder how much of the "uniqueness" of the BHB dive site is simply that it offers a lot of free parking. Well, that, and well, we *are* sort of considered "trolls". :D

Kevin
pot stirrer

Don't forget to let everyone on this thread know why you REALLY don't want it to be a sanctuary....because you don't want more rules to have to break to continue collecting the critters that people here like to see and photograph.

Forgot about this guy. Pretty sure divers in FL have the about the same tolerance for these guys as we have in NC. Let's just say that this guy is no longer a subject available for other photographers...

Attachments

• FL_BHB_6873 copy.jpg
    FL_BHB_6873 copy.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 73
But, I can't help but assume that there is a *lot* more of the southern (relatively warm year-round) Intracoastal that has similar characteristics and which must have a similar (possibly even greater?) fauna mix.

Just playing a bit with Google Maps' satellite view, Boynton Inlet Park looks like a potential site - what with the nearby parking. Anybody ever diven it??

Kevin

Kevin - Here is a link to Pura Vida's site with info on beach dives near Singer Island:

http://www.puravidadivers.com/florida_diving/beach.html

If Ned DeLoach calls BHB "one of the most exotic shore dives in the United States" then it's got to be something pretty special, IMHO. Besides - if you've ever been there on a busy Saturday or Sunday you know we don't go for the free parking! (what parking?)

Angry Turtle: I'm still hoping for Friday. I'm calling Force E and/or Pura Vida tomorrow afternoon unless someone posts an update.

Still "poor" report for the 2/21/2011 date

Anyone with more recent info, maybe an actual visit?

There does seem to be a bit of lag time from the testing to the posting
on the DOH website. They may be testing one day and posting
the results the next. If anyone was by there today and noticed or did
not notice the flags, please post. I was hoping to dive thursday, I suppose
I could always use a pompano shore dive as a back up.

Don't forget to let everyone on this thread know why you REALLY don't want it to be a sanctuary....because you don't want more rules to have to break to continue collecting the critters that people here like to see and photograph.

It sounds as if you are accusing me of breaking some laws or "rules"? Is that what you mean? :no::no:

You mean when you openly admitted that you dove at night when the beach was closed? After complaining about the county allowing permits so you could do it legally? That with the long tirades about adding more "rules" one can draw their own conclusions...

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom