The continuing sagas of the Blue Heron Bridge

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If anyone drives by and can report on the flags, it would be appreciated.
It looks like they had acceptable readings for two days but I think they take
an average also and that may take a bit longer to come down. It does look
like it is improving though. Saturday 2-26-11 looks like a good weather day.

I was there today. I'd say a half dozen or so flags in the water - about average for a random weekday afternoon. (Maybe a little low) Viz ranged from 15-20 ft in some places to really murky in others. Water temp 70.

I did hose myself down really good at the fish cleaning station and a hot shower once I got home. The shower closest to the playground is out of order again.

Just a heads up for anyone thinking about this weekend: they have Blue Heron Blvd. down to one lane in either direction from just west of US1 to past the bridge. It took me ten minutes to get from the light at US1 to the turn into the park.

Thanks, Jet for the heads up..

Here is one post worthy from today. Maybe no big whoop except I usually don't see the little stuff so it made me very happy.

Miniature Melo Micromela undata
Reef Creature ID page 287

mini melo.jpg

so is the bridge safe to dive at this point or what? Was planning on heading there tomorrow.

so is the bridge safe to dive at this point or what? Was planning on heading there tomorrow.
I just inquired about getting a test kit for ourselves.
I am not satisfied with the huge gaps in the information we are getting....
I want to know what the water quality is in the incoming tide hours we dive the bridge, and I don't have a huge interest in the peak low tide tests....we have no idea which type of test is closer to what has been done, or what areas they are testing.....
In any case, i do not think the test kits are all that expensive, and any monkey could follow the directions on one, and read the results 16 hours later.

I think the bridge diving community should become self sufficient in this testing issue....Force E may well decide to get involved in this as well.

I found a pretty high-tech looking snorkel on the bottom. If you can ID it I will be happy to send it to you. It was a high-tech dry snorkel. Tell me the brand and color and it's yours!

I am also emailing Force-E to see if they recognize it.

Only posting this because it looks like an expensive snorkel and I assume the owner would miss it.

The Lifeguards were not stopping divers, they only requested that we not submerge until outside of the marked swimming area. Lots of divers including one large class. Maybe 30 divers total or more.

Temp was 69 and vis was a little disappointing maybe 25' lots of suspended sand. Did have one serious treat, a spotted moray in an area with probably every species of angelfish at once: Gray, French, Blue, Queen, immature of the grays and Blues, and a couple of hybrids. What am amazing treat!! Red scorpionfish, our first sighting of this one. Also several colorful tropicals that we had never seen before and that were not in the book. All the usual suspects, including a big arrowline crab that crawled onto my arm for a close-up show.

Lots of lobster, but someone had actually laid a baited lobster pot under the fishing bridge--is that legal?

Saw several dead smaller lobsters looked like they had been wrenched out of holes and then discarded because they were not legal size. If divers are doing this, please refrain??!! This spot is pretty special for ALL of the species you can see, even edible ones, for all level of divers. From someone who enjoys lobster as much as the next person, please let's restrain our hunter instincts in this special place so we can all enjoy the diversity.

Rant over. Never a bad dive here!!

Guy

I'm posting this here as I have friends coming in from out of town next week to dive the morning high tides. I'd like to arrange an afternoon charter on Little Deeper on Tuesday the 8th. I have three people - they need a minimum of four to go out.

Little Deeper is very close to the bridge - so it would work out perfect on Tuesday. High tide is 10:08am. Enough time for a good two-hour dive, surface interval lunch and get to the boat by 1:00pm.

Cost is $65 plus tax. Tanks: $10/air $15/Nitrox

If you are interested please book with Little Deeper directly but PM me so I can plan for my guests accordingly. They are marine biologists/photographers, fyi.

Little Deeper West Palm Beach Dive Charter

I just inquired about getting a test kit for ourselves.
I am not satisfied with the huge gaps in the information we are getting....
I want to know what the water quality is in the incoming tide hours we dive the bridge, and I don't have a huge interest in the peak low tide tests....we have no idea which type of test is closer to what has been done, or what areas they are testing.....
In any case, i do not think the test kits are all that expensive, and any monkey could follow the directions on one, and read the results 16 hours later.

I think the bridge diving community should become self sufficient in this testing issue....Force E may well decide to get involved in this as well.

Good idea Dan--there was another press release from the PB County Health Dept today saying still closed. Nada on the state site--Healthy Beaches...........JoanneR pointed out earlier this afternoon that it hasn't rained, so runoff seems unlikely. She also pointed out that no one seems to be investigating an apparent sewage leak in the area.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom