The continuing sagas of the Blue Heron Bridge

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Did they do any water testing Monday ? The DOH website still shows
2-17-11 as the last sample date. I think I read that they test daily when
under the red flag warning. Hoping to get over there thursday or friday
but don't want to make the drive unless the warning is lifted.

I kind of skimmed this enormous thread looking for some information but didn't find it so ill ask away. I am in the area working and did a drive by of the park and after looking around my questions are.

I'm guessing the beach is the best point of entry?
At this time can you dive the east section while they are doing the construction work?
if you go to the west it would make sense that you not dive in the channel so as you come back to the east what's the rule/etiquette with the pier, can you dive under or around it or should it be given a wide clearance?
can you circumnavigate the entire island? would you want to? if so how do you negotiate the boat launch ramps?
And what about the moorings off of the beach? is it ok to dive in that area?
I am using tide information from the reporting station at the port of West Palm Beach, is this close enough to the bridge or is there a better station to check?
Thanks in advance, Pete

Pete: the following sites have good information

Blue Heron Bridge

Blue Heron Bridge

I am not sure the tide calculator is correct on either site: I always trust the NOAA tide table

Tide Tables

I read through the forum FAQ's, but I don't have a feel for the etiquette of posting images here. Is it preferred to post only URL's? Are the pics posted within the forum enjoyed by most? *I* enjoy seeing all the pics that I see here, but I wonder what the consensus (if any) is. TIA

Kevin

Kevin: here are my thoughts on your question..................a lot of people will post photos in the forum (that is what I normally do): if a SB'er only plans to post a few photos, I personally like seeing the pictures pasted into a post in the BHB forum. However, if a SB'er wants to share many pictures, a URL link works pretty well. You take so many good photos on your dives that I imagine it would be a pain to paste them indivdually into a post..... I follow your URL to the flicker account since I know I am always going to see a set of nice shots.

On any one dive at the BHB, I normally only have a single or couple of good photos worth sharing (out of 40 or 50 that I normally take), so will likely just paste the handful of decent pictures into posts in the future rather than use a link to flicker or other photo sharing service.

In summary, I think either method is fine, but the more photos one has to share, the more a link to a photo sharing site makes sense to me.

Just got back from spending a few days diving BHB. A few photos posted here. Additional photos can be viewed at: Blue Heron Bridge - wetlens' Photos.

Had a great time. Thanks to all that post here - this is a great resource when planning a visit to the Bridge.

Attachments

• FL_BHB_6468 copy.jpg
    FL_BHB_6468 copy.jpg
    177.8 KB · Views: 56
  • FL_BHB_6742 copy.jpg
    FL_BHB_6742 copy.jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 46
  • FL_BHB_7151 copy.jpg
    FL_BHB_7151 copy.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 49
  • FL_BHB_6891 copy.jpg
    FL_BHB_6891 copy.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 47
Good luck with that. :D I'm a warm water guy, too, but my 2mm shorty over my 3mm full suit plus a hood has made the 68º water temps tolerable for a couple of hours. The neat stuff to find and see makes it even that much more tolerable. . .

Kevin

Yep, I won't bet my life on it. I'll have my old 1/4 in two piece.

Just a note on the photos. If you photograph something really cool, please be very careful in whom you tell where it lives. There are some people who lurk in this thread to find the cool stuff-- then take it to sell. Numerous sea horses and frog fish seemed to have suddenly disappeared after photos and location were posted..

Just got back from spending a few days diving BHB. A few photos posted here. Additional photos can be viewed at: Blue Heron Bridge - wetlens' Photos.

Had a great time. Thanks to all that post here - this is a great resource when planning a visit to the Bridge.

Checked out the SmugMug site. Wow. I want some lessons. :D Great stuff.

Kevin

those are great photos: holy smoke..... I now hate my camera: 10 megapixels are just not enough (or maybe it is simply the operator!!)
The megapixels definitely come in handy, but as Wetlens has just made very clear, the settings can make quite a difference, too. I'm not advanced enough to even tell *why* his shots look so cool and different. My sense is that the settings were so perfect that very little post processing was needed.

Kevin

While I don't necessarily lie on the ground, I do sometimes tripod by placing fins on the ground and an anchoring stick. When done taking shots I rise directly up with a deeper breath to lift my body high enough not to stir things up. Of course I also dive nekkid, so I would have a ton of welts on my skin if I were to lie down on the bottom. I see in video two, the guy is using knee pads... Cheater!

l2:

I agree! This place should be made a sanctuary and no scuba divers and especially photographers should be banned. They kick up the bottom and lay on it. We need to allow only freedivers who will stay off the bottom.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom