The continuing sagas of the Blue Heron Bridge

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Judy sent me a PM and said she showered immediately and feels fine.

Doesn't it take a couple days for the eggs to incubate before the worms start to hatch?

:)

I've switched my days off and am now shooting for Friday. Anyone up there this week please keep us posted on conditions.

I may try to get over for a thursday dive if the red flag warning is lifted.
I'll post viz and water temps if I do get over that way !

IMG_3326wcrre | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

As my ID books have not yet arrived, anybody know what kind of fish this is? Sorta reminds me of a Soapfish. Looked down at the settings on the camera and when I looked back up, he was gone, so didn't get any good shots of him.

It's been suggested that it is a blenny of some sort - maybe from the genera Labrisomus or Malacoctenus. I did notice the eyebrows, but the face seemed to have that flat look of a snook or a soapfish.

Hadn't mentioned that it was probably six or eight inches long.

Kevin

Why is it necessary to lay on the sea floor to get your shots?

[vimeo]20199763[/vimeo]​

The next time he laid down right on top of this poor little guy. I missed the shot of him actually wriggling out from under him.

[vimeo]20200056[/vimeo]​

[vimeo]20200197[/vimeo]​

It's been suggested that it is a blenny of some sort - maybe from the genera Labrisomus or Malacoctenus. I did notice the eyebrows, but the face seemed to have that flat look of a snook or a soapfish.

Hadn't mentioned that it was probably six or eight inches long.

Kevin
Hairy Blenny is the common name. I believe this one is female. The male is usually red-purple

Male
PB0259aH.jpg

They are known to be average 6-8" as adults and are considered the largest of the Blenny species

Why is it necessary to lay on the sea floor to get your shots?

[vimeo]20199763[/vimeo]​

The next time he laid down right on top of this poor little guy. I missed the shot of him actually wriggling out from under him.

[vimeo]20200056[/vimeo]​

[vimeo]20200197[/vimeo]​
While I don't necessarily lie on the ground, I do sometimes tripod by placing fins on the ground and an anchoring stick. When done taking shots I rise directly up with a deeper breath to lift my body high enough not to stir things up. Of course I also dive nekkid, so I would have a ton of welts on my skin if I were to lie down on the bottom. I see in video two, the guy is using knee pads... Cheater!

In this third video you shot the bat fish moving by you. One could make the argument that you ended up either sitting on the ground or very, very close to it based on your fins being on the ground.

While I am no advocate for people laying on the ground even for photo ops, I have seen the best of divers who misjudged something and ended up touching the ground or even the reef. I am an advocate for knowing what you can and what you should not touch or come in contact with. It's OK to touch some things and there are things that should never be touched. Knowing what can be touched is OK in my book. Flat out ignorance of buoyancy is not OK in my book. :cool2:

In this third video you shot the bat fish moving by you. One could make the argument that you ended up either sitting on the ground or very, very close to it based on your fins being on the ground.
You COULD make that argument, but you'd be wrong. I'm not perfect, but I do my best. Do you see any silt at my fin tips or just a shadow? Which means I didn't make contact with the sand.

You COULD make that argument, but you'd be wrong. I'm not perfect, but I do my best. Do you see any silt at my fin tips or just a shadow? Which means I didn't make contact with the sand.
I was referring more to your bottom which, indicated by the movement of the camera, also did not touch the ground, but I also attempted not to make it an issue.

Most of us try our best and are not perfect... But, knee pads just tells me that guy knew he was going to land somewhere...

I normally don't take photos of people laying in the sand, but I posted the diver dart on another BHB thread recently. In that image a huge spray of sand and the guy's dive flag was completely underwater and just over his head. Now that's someone I don't want to near when I am shooting images

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom