The continuing sagas of the Blue Heron Bridge

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Anybody dive it today?

Was the beach open? Temps and viz?

Anybody dive it today?

Was the beach open? Temps and viz?

yes..... park employee said it was a 'moderate' risk and the greatest risk was at the waters edge and the wet sand: they did not want young children in the water but adults were free to swim at their own risk. Viz was fantastic and there were a fair number of divers in the water. The water did sort of smell though......... I cut my dive short at about 70 minutes and rushed home to take a long shower

IMG_3319wfirstnudiemaybe | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

I'm thinking that this might be my first nudie. But, didn't see it until I was fiddling with my shots of the tunicates.

Kevin

Kevin: when we met at the piling a few weeks ago and discussed nudis, that was exactly the type of nudi I saw that particular day.

PICT6673.JPG

The jellyfish, which were so abundant a couple of weeks ago, seem to be gone now.

PICT6680.JPG

Thanks XLH!

Kevin: when we met at the piling a few weeks ago and discussed nudis, that was exactly the type of nudi I saw that particular day.

The jellyfish, which were so abundant a couple of weeks ago, seem to be gone now.

As I've said, I'm still pretty new to this site, but it looks like it may be pretty common for something really cool to be more likely to show up at different times of the year - or maybe even different times of a given *month*! I'm looking forward to testing this theory. :D Just need to keep finding new "books on tape" authors for the drives. Really enjoyed Robert B. Parker last trip. . .

Kevin

As I've said, I'm still pretty new to this site, but it looks like it may be pretty common for something really cool to be more likely to show up at different times of the year - or maybe even different times of a given *month*! I'm looking forward to testing this theory. :D Just need to keep finding new "books on tape" authors for the drives. Really enjoyed Robert B. Parker last trip. . .

Kevin
There is a definite cycle at BHB. That will be evident to anyone who dives it once a month. Now is the time of year to look for Bumblebee shrimp. They are found under urchins (normally the white body-red quill urchin), sea stars and cucumbers... The manatees move out with the weather and there is usually some sort of "spring fling" going on for a bit... Two years ago it was Sea Hares and Frogfish. Last year the big fling was octopus

Jim: that is a great video, between the music and the sort of crazed motions of the shrimp, I could not help but think that I was watching the aquatic version of John Belushi (in the blues brothers): I've not seen a bubble bee shrimp yet: hopefully will see one soon.

Yeah, it will happen. That video used my +10 diopter attached to my video housing... Creatures seen here are definitely smaller than they appear! You just have to capture their movement when you take away their hiding spot

On another note, Scubaruss66(?) Philip put me in contact with David Haas (David Haas Photography), who hooked me up with some Ikelite DS51's so I will be shooting TTL with my new DSLR setup

There is a definite cycle at BHB. That will be evident to anyone who dives it once a month. Now is the time of year to look for Bumblebee shrimp. They are found under urchins (normally the white body-red quill urchin), sea stars and cucumbers... The manatees move out with the weather and there is usually some sort of "spring fling" going on for a bit... Two years ago it was Sea Hares and Frogfish. Last year the big fling was octopus

Can't wait to see what's next. Hard to find this much excitement anywhere else in my life. Sorta like an Easter egg hunt every time down. :D The post-processing of the pics just drags it all out even longer. . .

Get yer new rig wet, yet?

Kevin

The new rig got wet, but my base lens is a mid-range lens that can only focus past 13". More for taking shots of big reefs. I am working on a macro lens for the system , but one must remember, once you are on DSLR, every item you want to purchase is $200+.... :-(

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom