The continuing sagas of the Blue Heron Bridge

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FYI During yesterdays dive a boat nearly ran over us in ~6-8ft water. This was on the west side between the wall at the ramp & the 1st span of pilings under the big bridge. My flag was ~15-20feet away from me but due to the current I had let out a little more scope so wind etc had it floating under the bridge between pilings. Still why in the world did a boat go thru that very shallow area? I was at the last piling just before you cross to the fishing bridge & watched it angle West presumably to find deeper water. Of course I tightened the line & moved it directly over us & then had to adjust it as it kept bouncing on the bottom. I moved it past us & let out more line so the wind/wave/current moved it over us.
Aside from that we had a great dive & managed almost 2hrs before we had to get out while it was still light

FYI During yesterdays dive a boat nearly ran over us in ~6-8ft water. This was on the west side between the wall at the ramp & the 1st span of pilings under the big bridge. My flag was ~15-20feet away from me but due to the current I had let out a little more scope so wind etc had it floating under the bridge between pilings. Still why in the world did a boat go thru that very shallow area? I was at the last piling just before you cross to the fishing bridge & watched it angle West presumably to find deeper water. Of course I tightened the line & moved it directly over us & then had to adjust it as it kept bouncing on the bottom. I moved it past us & let out more line so the wind/wave/current moved it over us.
Aside from that we had a great dive & managed almost 2hrs before we had to get out while it was still light
You haven't lived until you are in 5' of water when the boat goes over your head and you see the blades of the outboard... you surface and the lifeguard is still blowing his whistle, the boat driver is unaware/doesn't care/could care less/ and the boat that just missed your head by a few inches just putzes along like he has no worries in the world... and anyone who happens to be in the way must be stupid... :wink:

Hopefully we will be able to dive BHB in June. This is what worries me most about that type of dive. Boaters need to more aware of the dive flags and hopefully stay off the juice when driving the boat.

I'm glad that nothing seriously happened to you while diving.

Boats vs. Dive Flags. This is a reaccuring issue every year about this time. Sometimes people get hurt, somebody starts a thread, and the awareness starts. It's about that time of year to get it going again. I won't even try to count the times I have seen prop wash and shadows of boats go over me. Heck, even Marine Patrol has run over my flag! (and I use a boat sized dive flag!) This issue is not just at BHB, it's all along the coast, and I think Venice Beach is the worst.
/off soapbox
/end hijack

Last week at Molasses reef some buffoon cut across the whole reef at full speed. There must have been 20 boats there all with dive flags. Sometimes stupid is just stupid

My understanding is that in order to report it, you have to get the license number off the boat...

Where can I find tide info for BHB? Looking to go this Sunday, but the date on the info on Wades Page says 2008. Also, does anyone know if it is still closed to swimming? Seen recent posts about closure due to bacteria.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom