The Boynton Dive Chronicles (new and improved)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ouch! Just looked at Tuesday's forecast. Let's hope that they don't know what they're talking about.

Tuesday... East winds 15 to 20 knots. Seas 5 to 7 feet. Intracoastal waters choppy in exposed areas. Slight chance of light showers.

Hey Kev!

When your in the water tomorrow for the second of your morning dives..... keep an eye out for any behaviour changes in the marine life. Or possibly a vibration in the water.

There was a vibration in the water! I thought it was because I ate cheesecake the night before at the E-Divers Christmas party. ('cause I'm lactose intolerant).

Here's what was going on last weekend:

Saturday we had forty feet of vis and a moderate north current. Water temps were 75 degrees, and seas were calm. We found some kinda disturbing stuff... a nurse shark that had been lassoed with nylon rope, apparently for riding. Alex also found a dead sea turtle entangled in heavy, like 400 or 500 lb test monofiliment fishing line. Unfortunately I didn't find out about the sea turtle until we were back at the dock, or I would have documented it with some photos and donated them for use in awareness campaigns.
The nurse shark had a happier ending, as Alex B. (not the captain) was able to hang onto the shark long enough to loosen and remove the noose. The line had cut into the shark's skin where its pectoral fins met his body, and it was infected in those areas, but I think he'll be okay. I also didn't get pictures of that, as I was to busy racing over to help Alex with the shark.

BDC1220083.jpg

Alex B. demonstrates reef friendly lobstering techniques.

BDC2120081.jpg

A French angelfish on Castle Ledge.

Hey Kevin, these were a great couple of dives...thanks for everything. I would highly recommend your op to anyone considering diving in Boynton Beach.

~Dan

Okay! The water's trying to clear up again, I think. We had about 40 foot vis for the most part, 76 degrees. We bumped into yesterday's 74 degree 30 foot vis water on the beginning of the second dive though, but it improved as we moved north. The seas were 2-4 feet and we had a slight north current. There were lots of little baby hogs around.

Howitwas-2.jpg

Here's how the water looked.

overbite.jpg

This is one of the piglets. His upper snout cast a funny shadow over his lower jaw from my strobe, and made it look like he's got some kind of a crazy overbite, but he was really okay.

Hey Kevin, these were a great couple of dives...thanks for everything. I would highly recommend your op to anyone considering diving in Boynton Beach.

~Dan

Hey thanks man!

Okay here's the stuff from Sunday's dives. The vis continued to improve and was hovering aropund the 50 foot mark, however the water felt chillier, even though my machine was still saying 75 degrees, and sure enough, on the last dive of the day it dipped down to 74. We had a moderate north current. We ended up on Gazebo in the late afternoon, and man was it ever busy with marine life.

BDC1221082.jpg

The Gothic Grunt lives!

BDC12121081.jpg

Things that start with the letter 'L'.

Kev, are you calling me, or am I calling you tomorrow morning? The other three divers are up in Jensen Beach tonight, so will take them some time to drive down to Boynton, once they get the call.

Kev, are you calling me, or am I calling you tomorrow morning? The other three divers are up in Jensen Beach tonight, so will take them some time to drive down to Boynton, once they get the call.

Call me. It's not looking too good though, my front door just blew open.

Call me. It's not looking too good though, my front door just blew open.

Well, go close it!

JRock called me earlier this evening. He and the other two dove up in Jupiter today, and it was pretty rough. Was wondering what the plan was for tomorrow. I told him to stay put until he heard from you in the morning.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom