The big regulator thread

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

....Zeagle is American and they make their own stuff, but I've seen some of their BCs with a "made in China" label on them..

Are the Zeagle regs actually manufactured by Zeagle in the US, or just designed by them and manufactured "offshore"? I thought I'd read they were manufactured elsewhere, but may have just misunderstood or "mis-remembered" :D .

I think like DA Aquamaster said above, it is probably pretty complicated with regards to the true "origin" of the regulators.

Best wishes.

I'm pretty certain that Zeagle build their own regs in house, aside from things like Yoke clamps, which they purchase.

Zeagle used to sell rebranded regs until they developed their own designs. But I'd be surprised if a company the size of zeagle had their own dedicated manufacturing facilities.

You know that crappy computer you are using now connected to the crap network that is connected to all the crap electronic stuff at the telephone/cable company that is sending your crappy little opinion across the world is working because most of the processing chips are made in the crap country of Taiwan.

giveadam-1.gif

N

Last edited:
Two other brands are Salvo and Scubamax
Some of the Salvo regs I have seen (I don't claim to have seen them all, or even how many models they may sell) are Dive Rite clones. I have also seen where Salvo is located. They don't make regs in that building.

Apeks regs made in house in England.
So...are Aqualung regs also made in house in England given that Apeks is a wholey owned subsidiary of Aqualung?

I am sorry but lots of people hear or believe things that they'd be hard pressed to prove. I think if this thread is to be of any use, people are going to have to produce some kind of evidence (web site showing in-house manufacturing facilties (versus just an assembly plant) that supports a view that Brand A is made somewhere and Brand B is made somewhere else.

The reality is that there are very few companies that actually produce regulators and regulator parts as the over all volume of sales is small and the liability and related quality assurance standards are high. Most of those companies either make their own designs, whihc are often rebranded for other companies to sell, make other designs under license for sale to third parties, or make other companies designs under contract for those companies to sell.

Think about it for a minute. If I started the Larry Scuba Company tomorrow, I am pretty sure I could design, or at least get permission to acquire an existing design under license and make some valuable improvements. But actually producing them on large scale would require require a vast increase in infastructure as well as a whole bunch of production and quality control staff who would not really be needed 40 hours per week, 52 weeks per year for the volume of stuff I'd produce and sell. The end result would be much higher unit costs, even if it rapidly became the most popular reg in the industry. My preference, and the smart way to do it, would be to contract with Tabata, Sherwood, etc to produce the design for me.

If I chose to actually manufacture my own designs it would only be because I was a large company with the resources to invest in very expensive high tech production facilities and was selling a very popular design with large sales volume combined with an inability to find a company that could produce regs to the quality standards I required. If I did that, I'd need to get into the business of producing regs for other companies to keep the production facilties at a capacity high enough to make them economically viable. That would put me in direct competition with companies like Sherwood and Tabata who have been doing it successfully for decdes.

I don't see that happening as Sherwood and Tabata make very high quality stuff and Tabata in paritcular has state of the art production facilities. Why would I want to compete with that when it makes a lot more sense for me to benefit from contracting with them and gaining the advantages of their facilties without the huge overhead and operating costs?

People think that a company choosing to subcontract the actual production is a bad thing and that it in some way makes them less of a company. It's not a bad thing, it is just good business and lets them focus their resources on the design and engineering side rather than having to invest huge somes of money into production facilties.

How many parts of the plane do you think Boeing or Airbus actually make in house?

How much of your, for example, American car made by (insert any car company name here) was actually made by that company? Very little. At best they assemble parts here in the US made by a large number of sub contractors both domestic and offshore. At worst, they assemble "American" cars overseas and off load them on the docks here.

Like it or not it is a global economy and the reality is that those countries that sparked the industrial revolution 150 years ago are moving into a post industrial era and the actual production of goods is shifting and is now spurring economic development in 2nd and 3rd world countries.

Dive Rite (and perhaps others) get their regulators from different sources. They may place specific requirements and may make changes to the design to meet their specifications, but they don't build them or even assemble them in house.

Dive Rite has basically three regulators, the 3000, the Hurricane, and the Jetstream.

The 3000 is basically the same regulator as many others (I believe the Salvo, Scubamax, Sea-Elite, etc...etc...etc...), but the 3000 is made to their specifications and all the seals, seats, O-rings, and rubber parts are supposed to be unique to there specifications. All this regulators I believe that are made in a factory in Taiwan, but when I took the DR regulator repair class that was not information that they wanted to share. Personally, I think the DR 3000 is an excellent regulator (a good copy of the Scubapro 156, with metal barrel, but plastic case).

The Hurricane is made by Beuchat and the Jetstream is of course Poseidon. Both of this are also made to there specifications. The Jetstream actually uses the Poseidon Extreme first stage and they added standard pressure relief valve and got rid of the custom LP hose with the built in relief valve.

As DA Aqua Master mentioned above, it is impractical and not cost effective for a small company (or often a large company) to make many things in house.

Using sub-contractors to cut and machine metal is often the cost effective and best way to keep quality control. If you get a batch of parts that don't meat your specifications from a sub, you can reject them and have them redone. If you make them in house and they have a defect, you have to eat them or try to save them somehow and try to use them even if they are not ideal.

It would not be uncommon that some machine parts be made by different sub-contractors on different years or batches.

The behind the scene of who manufactures what can get very complicated and it is probably changing on a regular basis.

All this is great info.
I knew Atomic was USA (or pretty sure)
I knew Poseidon was Swedish (or Swedish brand but who actually knows about production?)
I also know that Oxycheq's little line are Apeks knock offs made in China.

One thing I know for sure, Freedom Plates are made right here in Santa Rosa, CA, USA
I don't have control over where the material comes from but I know most or if not all of the aluminum comes from Alcoa in the US.

Sorry, just had to throw that in, now back to regulators.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom