The big reg purchase: comments?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lemonade:
I am surprised to hear that TX50 comes on DS4, but it's quite possible.

DST (2 hp ports, turret version of DS4) does not have those potential limitations of DS4 mentioned by rescuediver009.

TX50 second stage is older model and is slightly larger in diameter than ATX50.

DST is generally more expensive than DS4, unless it's our DIR friends who are buying. Then DS4 is in demand - it is smaller than DST and has one less possible failure point.

ATX50 second is more expensive than TX50 second. Never seen it to be sold for less than ATX50.

Don't skimp on pressure gauge. $15 may make a difference between one that is just OK and one that is excellent and has clear and easy to read face even in murky water.

I do not have any experience with Aqualung regs, but I am positive they'll do just fine bellow 60'. :)
Actually, Mares makes excellent SPG's.
They are very rugged and accurate. In a test in a German Diving mag. only the Uwatec Master Diver SPG was better.
Unless they are selling different SPG's in North America :wink:

LeFlaneur:
Yes, quite a quandry.

My response is to keep asking more questions...

I'm wondering why even the top of the line Mares regs don't seem to allow for any diver ajustment, Venturi or otherwise. Anybody know why? How much do those really do? I'd say if they can get a freeflowing reg under control then they are important -- or are they just another thing to go wrong?

And...for another reg-on-reg lighning round... Anyone care to stack up the Atomic Z1 versus, say, the Proton Metal?
Mares doesn't have any adjustments because it doesn't need it :D
They are able to make regs that breath better than most regs out there without adjustments.
Many don't like Mares because they make things like the HUB. But you're not buying a HUB, you're buying a reg.
I have a Mares MR22/Abyss and I'm very happy with this reg. Same breathing in 5 or 50 meters, regardless of the water temperature. Was diving it in the winter in Nova Scotia and had no problems whatsoever.
But before buying a reg, I would suggest renting couple of the models you're considering and testing them for yourself. They deliver air in a different manner and you may prefere a certain reg.
It's cheaper to rent,test and buy the right thing from the beginning than regret the buy later.
That said most regs of most major companies are good and will not kill you, they must suit though your diving environment :wink:

LeFlaneur:
That V16 Proton Metal at Scubatoys is looking mighty fine. More in my price range. Larry, are you listening?

Already got tape on the box, warranty card filled out, and the shipping tag printed... just waiting for the call!

scubatoys:
Already got tape on the box, warranty card filled out, and the shipping tag printed... just waiting for the call!

No pressure or anything! :wink:

I wrote this somewhere else... I would love to rent and then buy. But where I live I don't seem to be able to rent an ATX50, Proton Metal, or Z1. (Funny...) Sure, if I happen to be free during the one or two "demo days" that the local shops do a year, I'll get to try out regs I might actually buy. Otherwise, I can rent an Aqualung Micra or an Oceanic GT, neither of which I'm in the market for.

Plus... I do have certain moral objections to demo-ing gear at a local LDS and then buying online. I'd sort of feel obligated to pay for the services they provide.

I'm wondering why even the top of the line Mares regs don't seem to allow for any diver ajustment, Venturi or otherwise. Anybody know why? How much do those really do? I'd say if they can get a freeflowing reg under control then they are important -- or are they just another thing to go wrong?
There are other (most other) top of the line regs that use venturi assists as well as adjustment knobs. Mares avoids it with the use of the tube on the side of the second stage. The venturi does make a good difference. Not necessarily in breathing resistance, but in preventing freeflow. The knobs also make a difference. Not so much in the shallows but in the depths.

And...for another reg-on-reg lighning round... Anyone care to stack up the Atomic Z1 versus, say, the Proton Metal
this should be the preliminary round. .... Z1

Unfortunately, outside of my LDS there are not too many places that you can go to and say that you want to test an apeks and get one....

rescuediver009:
There are other (most other) top of the line regs that use venturi assists as well as adjustment knobs. Mares avoids it with the use of the tube on the side of the second stage. The venturi does make a good difference. Not necessarily in breathing resistance, but in preventing freeflow. The knobs also make a difference. Not so much in the shallows but in the depths.

this should be the preliminary round. .... Z1

Unfortunately, outside of my LDS there are not too many places that you can go to and say that you want to test an apeks and get one....
I would disagree here :D
For diving in colder water, I would prefer a diaphragm first stage rather than a piston.
If an Atomic for cold water, than the M1 would be probably better since sealed first stage. So the Mares would win the cold water round :wink:
If thinking about traveling abroad, a Mares would be easier to service than an Atomic and even in North America you'll probably find more Mares dealer. Another point for the Mares.
Anyone else cares to join?

Well, the decision has been made.

Thanks everyone for your input. Thanks Larry, John and Rick from Scubatoys for answering my million questions, for special ordering regs you don't normally stock, and for giving me a great deal.

I am soon to be the proud owner of a Zeagle ZX / DS-IV (thought about DIN, went yoke)

Now all I have to do is fill the tub and wait for UPS.

With your "ultimate" reg list, I could have sworn you were going with Apeks...

Do they still sell the DS-IV? I thought the DS-V was the current model.

Regardless, great choice. I have the ZX-50D and love it. Excellent performance and made in the good ol' U.S. of A.

djac5700:
With your "ultimate" reg list, I could have sworn you were going with Apeks...

Do they still sell the DS-IV? I thought the DSV was the current model.

I assure you I was very close to getting an Apeks. It wasn't just Scubaboard; the really skilled divers I have met swear by them.

It just came down to that magic blend of quality, cost, ease of service and warranty, and the chips fell in favor of Zeagle. I mean, I know it's not an Apeks but I can still get chicks with it, right?

I would guess the DS-IV is in the process of being phased out. As far as I know, the DS-V is basically the same thing with a swivel turret.

LeFlaneur:
As far as I know, the DS-V is basically the same thing with a swivel turret.

The 50-D is the swivel turret... the DS-V doesn't have a swivel. I think the DS-V is pretty much identical to the DS-IV.

Anyone know if there is a difference?

BTW - my Zeagle is a chick magnet.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom