The big reg purchase: comments?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Titan LX is a good reg as said above. However, it may not be the right reg for your type/environment of diving.

Additionally, I would think about several years down the road as to ease/cost of maintenance. Considering that should the Titan have a problem with the first stage, you need a bench mount to work on it. Whereas the Legend you only need a tank and allen wrench. Titan would not be a reg you could work on to repair on a dive boat. Legend and other you can.

Don't buy a reg that will just meet your minimum requirements for your experience/type of diving today. Look 5-10 years out and try to anticipate what your needs/experience level will be then, get a reg that will meet THOSE needs. Regs are not cheap, but buying one now is cheaper than buying two or three to upgrade.

Have you thought of Dive-Rite regs?

http://www.diveriteexpress.com/specials/spregoctospg.shtml

$504 complete package (no tax, free shipping).

AC2086 Octopus Holder for Second Stage PKG

RG1215 Second Stage Regulator, Downstream w/40-Inch Hose

RG2000 Regulator, Complete (1206 1st & 2010 Balanced 2nd)

RG2740 Compact Submersible Pressure Gauge PKG.

They come as DIN only, but ship with a Yoke adaptor for free. If you can find a Dive-Rite Tec center near you may be able to get better pricing. Also call Lloyd Bailey's. They have excellent Dive-Rite prices.

http://www.lloydbaileysscuba.com/index2.html

The advantage of DR regs is that you can buy rebuild gets easy for when you would like to service your own regs. Reg breathes well at depth, and in cold conditions.

oharag

LeFlaneur:
I'm going to join the herd and bounce my impending reg purchace off the board. Those who wish to comment may do so. Seems like there's a lot of Aqualung / Apeks purchases going on this summer...

Profile:
I am OW, 12 dives, AOW is pending. Of course I hope to do plenty of warm water diving but living in DC I will also be working up to diving the wrecks off North Carolina. It doesn't look like there's much under 60 fsw there. Plan to learn nitrox after AOW. Don't know what my temperture limits are, because I don't know enough about local temps. Let's just say I don't plan on getting a dry suit for a couple years.

Here we go. The prices include the rebates for each (and tax)

Package one: Price $485
Aqualung Titan LX
Aqualung ABS Octo
Mares SPG

Dealer comments: Sings praises of reg but in the same breath doesn't recommend it for divers who regularly plan to go deeper than 60 feet. Said I would definately notice a difference in breathing at greater depths. (Anybody take issue with that?)

Package #2 Price $656 (For comparison: no-warranty online cost is $528)
Apeks ATX50 or TX50
Apeks ATX20 Octo
Mares SPG

Dealer comments: "It will breathe the same at 120' as it will on the surface." ... Says the only difference between the ATX50 and the TX50 is the 1st stage swivel. (Is not the size different too? Anything else?) Recommended TX50 because non-swivel delivers air better. Said that the optional free flow controller was "not worth the money."

Extras with packages... $15 per stage service as opposed to $25. Also, $100 off any Suunto computer.

Okay... fire away. How do the numbers look? Any contest to what the dealer said. I admit I'm leaning toward the Apex, but that's just the gearhead in me thinking I'll get more respect from the tech divers. :wink:

I never cease to be amazed at what an LDS owner will say in order to upgrade a buyer into a higher priced item.
First, the Titan reg is a modern incarnation of the old SE2 with which I, during my more adventurous years, had quite a few dives to 180 feet and below. Was it a hard breather? Either it wasn't too bad, or I was just too narced to know. I happen to have a Titan LX in my arsenal now, and it breathes even better than the old SE2, probably because of the balanced second stage. Anyone who says that an LX is not suited for dives below 60' is quite plainly, an idiot. Oh, and the ABS is not a very good breathing octo, I would choose the LX or even the XLC.
But, having said that, it may or may not be the right reg for you. It depends upon what type of diving you intend to do. And I might ad that few beginners can answer this question with accuracy. Interests often change as we progress.
I have no experience with Apeks regs, but have several trusted friends who speak very highly of them. I do know that the TX is an older model. (One of my Apex friends prefers it to the newer ATX.) Your dealer might want to get it out of his inventory. An Apeks outfit may indeed be the one for you. That has to be your call.
I hope I haven't confused you. What do I know? I'm old.

Thought about the Mares Proton Metal?? It's only $299 with a warranty at Scubatoys. ($400 at my LDS) It is cold water rated.

but original poster did not say he was planning on diving cold water.
He said he hoped to do warm water dives on vacations, I assume, and occasionally go to NC.
The main reason why folks from DC area drive for 7 hours to dive south of Cape Hatteras is that water there is WARM :wink:

Lemonade:
but original poster did not say he was planning on diving cold water.
He said he hoped to do warm water dives on vacations, I assume, and occasionally go to NC.
The main reason why folks from DC area drive for 7 hours to dive south of Cape Hatteras is that water there is WARM :wink:

Thanks for the responses. The truth is, basically I don't know what I'm going to be doing. Can I envision wanting to go deeper than 100' and colder than 55 f? Not immediately, but eventually. Will I get a dry suit? Will I dive dual stainless steel tanks? Not this year... probably not next year... but it is conceivable. If I stay in DC I'm sure I'll end up diving plenty off VA and MD. Will I stay in DC? I don't know.

I have it in my brain that I want an environmentally sealed first stage. All this brings up another question... how cold is "reg freezing cold" and when is an envrionmental seal needed? I have heard absolutely opposite opinions on this.

I have thought about the Mares Proton Metal (or Proton Ice) and I trust Scubatoys (bought my bc from them). I'm also considering and also the Zeagle Envoy Deluxe or ZX / DS-V(but have heard they may be harder to service abroad.) Another local LDS sells Zeagle and I'll check them out before purchasing. It just happens that the LDS I frequent sells Aqualung/Apex -- two regs that both have received praise on this board, and then there's that $100 rebate. The Legend is out of my reach. I have to put the ceiling somewhere and so I put it there.

Are not Dive-Rite regs configured for technical? Not just DIN but different hose lengths, etc? And isn't a DIN / yolk adapter just adding another possible failure point?

This is helping... Thanks. I don't go dropping $1500 bucks without plenty of agonizing.

LeFlaneur:
Are not Dive-Rite regs configured for technical? Not just DIN but different hose lengths, etc? And isn't a DIN / yolk adapter just adding another possible failure point? QUOTE]

DR Regs come with 24" hoses. Fine for alternate reg. You may want to purchase longer hose for primary.

DR first stages do have a cold water package that can be added for around $30.

As far as the Yoke adaptor goes I never plan on using it. But, it's still nice to have it included. With the Apeks setup you have to purchase it separately. DIN's the way to go. The Yoke adaptor is nice to have if you go traveling and Yokes the only thing they have.

oharag

outlawaggie:
Thought about the Mares Proton Metal?? It's only $299 with a warranty at Scubatoys. ($400 at my LDS) It is cold water rated.

That V16 Proton Metal at Scubatoys is looking mighty fine. More in my price range. Larry, are you listening?

LeFlaneur:
That V16 Proton Metal at Scubatoys is looking mighty fine. More in my price range. Larry, are you listening?

I'm about to get one myself. I'm in pretty much the same spot you are. Check out my list.
http://www.scubaboard.com/t64753.html

outlawaggie:
I'm about to get one myself. I'm in pretty much the same spot you are. Check out my list.
http://www.scubaboard.com/t64753.html

Yes, quite a quandry.

My response is to keep asking more questions...

I'm wondering why even the top of the line Mares regs don't seem to allow for any diver ajustment, Venturi or otherwise. Anybody know why? How much do those really do? I'd say if they can get a freeflowing reg under control then they are important -- or are they just another thing to go wrong?

And...for another reg-on-reg lighning round... Anyone care to stack up the Atomic Z1 versus, say, the Proton Metal?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom