the best way to write my name on my tank ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I had custom "bumper stickers" made with my name and address from some random website. I think they were 2 or 3 bucks each. I remove and replace all the stickers at VIP time, so I prefer the easier to remove vinyl.

These are very nice. I have BCD tags made by this company. They last a long time, you won't have to worry about replacing the labels like you do with a sticker or marker. Only drawback is the $22 pricetag. Personalized Scuba Tank Name Tag When I run out of stickers, I'll probably get some of these.https://yourbagtag.com/products/scuba-air-tank-name-tag-yourtanktag

Nail polish is the best paint in the world. You can buy it almost anywhere and it comes with a free brush.

Indelible??? Ask any woman who has spilt some in her car; it lasts forever.

I like the white Brite-Mark paint marker. I write my name on all my gear with it.

https://www.amazon.com/BRITE-MARK-M...15547437&sr=8-2&keywords=brite+mark+paint+pen

This looks like what I use. I use the Sharpie Oil-Based Paint Marker. I bought a pack of 5 different colours (black, white, red, silver, gold). I use the black for writing on my tanks. If you go to a beauty supply store they'll have 100% acetone for nail polish remover. This stuff works great for removing the oil-based sharpie paint. So I can always remove my name from the tank if I ever want to sell it.

This looks like what I use. I use the Sharpie Oil-Based Paint Marker. I bought a pack of 5 different colours (black, white, red, silver, gold). I use the black for writing on my tanks. If you go to a beauty supply store they'll have 100% acetone for nail polish remover. This stuff works great for removing the oil-based sharpie paint. So I can always remove my name from the tank if I ever want to sell it.
Beauty supply for acetone?
Just go to Home Depot and buy a quart of regular acetone, it’s better and you’ll save a ton of money.

Beauty supply for acetone?
Just go to Home Depot and buy a quart of regular acetone, it’s better and you’ll save a ton of money.

I guess it depends... my sister is a professional hairdresser and buys stuff cheaper than something like CVS or Walmart. Plus the stuff she gets is 100% acetone, unlike the stuff you get at something like CVS or Walmart... If Home Depot has 100% acetone that is also a good place to get it.

Just make sure you are buying bulk and not a small bottle for individual use.

Agree.
Only they can hammer punches deep into the tank neck.

Actually anyone can stamp the CROWN of a cylinder (in the U.S. I don't know what the laws are in other countries.) (except for composite cylinders of course which aren't stamped at all.)

Stamping the sidewall condemns the tank (US DOT/UN-ISO..."condemn all sidewall stamped US DOT and UN-ISO cylinders".

The issue comes when you get ready to sell the tank. The new owner might not like your initials stamped in the crown of "his" new tank and he can't legally remove the mark without condemning the tank.

Had a dive buddy who stamped his initials into his tank "HLN". All fine and dandy. He sold the tank to another dive buddy who promptly stamped out the initials. That condemns the cylinder. Even if the cylinder would otherwise pass a VIP.
So you might choose something less "permanent" unless you plan to keep the tank until the end of it's service life.

49 CFR..."All markings must be legible and unblemished."

The exception is if you try to "forge" something that isn't supposed to be there, like adding a "+" or altering the working pressure or serial number or adding your own hydro mark. Had a guy bring in a cylinder for VIP last year and the RIN mark looked suspicious. The letters in the RIN stamp were not all the same size and some were crooked, like they were stamped one at a time and not stamped with a single die like a hydro tester uses. I called the hydro facility indicated by the hydro mark and he looked up the serial# in his logbook and said the cylinder had never been in his possession. The cylinder was condemned.

Also had a guy a couple years ago bring an aluminum cylinder in for VIP and he had added a "+" onto the hydro RIN stamp. Cylinder was condemned. (US DOT..."No aluminum tanks qualify for a "+" stamp and any aluminum cylinder bearing a "+" mark must be removed from service")

DOT says if a hydro inspector makes an error in his hydro mark, it condemns the cylinder if the makes the error illegible. The prescribed way for him to correct his error is to stamp the correct marking above his error stamp. (US DOT..."When a hydro tester makes an error in marking a cylinder, DO NOT have the hydro tester mark out the error. Stamp the correct marking above the error."

I believe the reasoning behind this is that marking you stamped out that you claim said "Fred's Tank" might have actually said "Condemned".

Once it's there, it has to stay there and be "legible and unblemished" according to US DOT and UN-ISO.

I prefer auto touch-up paint. The kind that comes in a small jar with included brush, I have some tanks marked with this which have been in use for more than 20 years. I have also tried nail polish, but it does not hold up as well. But, there may be some nail polish which is of better quality than the one I tried.

I wasn't expecting them to last, but I have a regular old Brother label maker. I printed out labels with my name, the tanks' serial numbers, and hydro expiration date like 2 years ago and stuck them on up near the valve. They are still there and still perfectly legible.

This is on galvanized steel tanks and on my brushed no-coat AL40, too.

I think I may have hit them for a few seconds with a light dose of hot air from a heat gun when I put them on, too. Just enough to warm it all up, not make anything hot.

Hi There ! Do you now a good way to write my name on my tank ? :)

I never put my name on my tanks.

In local diving circles I'm the only Canadian and I originally come from the West Coast of Canada so I put Haida art on my tanks instead of my name.

I also have Haida art prominently tattooed on my back (it's not my only tattoo but it's the most important one to me). It's the Orca. In the Haida mythology the Orca was two things: (1) the wolf of the seas and (2) the companion of travelers who guided them home safely.

I've been walking the earth outside of my native country for more than 20 years by now. That particular tattoo grounds me to my roots and reminds me every day that no matter where I am, or how hard life can get sometimes.... I am not lost because the Orca is my guide. To me my identity would not be complete without that tattoo. So I put Haida art on my tanks as well.

If my buddy sees the Haida turtle or the Haida bear ... will they know who it is, even in poor visibility or from a distance... you bloody bet they will!

R..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom