The Assimiliation continues - Part 4 (its all here...)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mo2vation

Relocated to South Florida....
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
My BP & harness came in today, as well as the ACB. All I need to do is pick up a 22" inflator (Thanks LAL7176... :) ), wait for my 22" necklace hose to arrive tomorrow and I'm set.

There's tons of info on sizing and fitting this contraption all over this board, the BAUE and WKRP sites - so I'll save the fitting questions until when / if I get stuck. A few questions:

1) how do I know I received a Halcyon Plate? The hardware has the distinctive "H" logo, but there isn't a mark on the plate. The harness looks like a Halcyon harness, in as much as it has all of the triglides, Drings and restraints in all the right places. Stiff harness material, softer crotch strap, etc. I have an older Halcyon BP I'm selling on eBay that has their logo stamped on it. This one is the newer one (with the tank band cuts) but no logo or marks. I don't think the guy would rip me off with a sub plate (like there's a huge different between plates...) but I want what I paid for, you know?

2) There are not three holes at the top of the plate (like on their site) or even two holes (like on my older one I'm selling on eBay) Again, could be a design change...I don't know as this is my first one.

That's it for now. I need to get back to work for the next several hours, then spend a sleepless night at home with the Drysuit fitting this thing. Unlike SeaJay (great report - your transparency is inspiring) on my maiden voyage this weekend I'll be diving an exposure suit I'm reasonably familiar with, my own cylinder and weighting I know works. I just need to get the fitting together and be comfortable with the hose routing, etc.

My public humiliation continues... :wink:

Ken

PS: As I'm ready to post this, my jets just showed up. What a surprise. I didn't think these would make it in time! I ordered XL's...MAN those foot pockets are tiny...I know what you guys mean now. I have tiny feet (8.5) but these look too small for my DUI's...we'll see tonight.

Oh, you're the one with the Halcyon backplate on Ebay. Look, I am really looking for one to attach the integrated cam straps to. Do you mind putting your new plate on Ebay instead? Thanks.

:D

Mo2vation once bubbled...
1) how do I know I received a Halcyon Plate? The hardware has the distinctive "H" logo, but there isn't a mark on the plate. The harness looks like a Halcyon harness, in as much as it has all of the triglides, Drings and restraints in all the right places. Stiff harness material, softer crotch strap, etc. I have an older Halcyon BP I'm selling on eBay that has their logo stamped on it. This one is the newer one (with the tank band cuts) but no logo or marks. I don't think the guy would rip me off with a sub plate (like there's a huge different between plates...) but I want what I paid for, you know?

2) There are not three holes at the top of the plate (like on their site) or even two holes (like on my older one I'm selling on eBay) Again, could be a design change...I don't know as this is my first one.

One distinction of a halcyon plate is that it is polished.It looks very nice.It doesnt have extra holes or slots like some of the aftermarket ones.

I just got my fredt heavy plate in today with one of his custom channel weights and two piece STA.Now comes the fun work of finishing it.It actually comes pretty close to finished so it shouldnt take long.There is very distinct difference between it and my new fredt plate.My fredt plate is awesome and the setup will allow me to take 13lbs off of my belt :D

Ghostdiver once bubbled...
Oh, you're the one with the Halcyon backplate on Ebay. Look, I am really looking for one to attach the integrated cam straps to. Do you mind putting your new plate on Ebay instead? Thanks.:D

My halcyon plate is listed on ebay and has the slots for the cam straps.Best of all its almost new :D

yeah - its very shiney. See my grill in it and everything (NOT a plus...)

The one on eBay that Casper isn't bidding on has holes all along the edges, etc. I'm confident its just a production change.

UP one time ran down a summary of changes in wing designs in one of the threads I read. A byproduct of an agile company committed to product improvement is a lot of product changes. I'm sure these guys are no different.

Thanks -

4 hours to assemble, size and test. First thoughts:

1) Its tight. I know its supposed to be. Not restrictive, just snug. With no padding, it snugs my body a little better. I had a hard time getting it to the place where I could touch it from the top - but its there now. The BAUE site rules. Hacylon, take a hint.

2) MEMO TO SELF: Do not do this in a tank top. Nice stiff webbing. Ouch. Schlepping around the house in So Cal (its in the mid 70's here) in my 50/50 and 300g undies was a bit warm.

3) There is something to be said about building your own rig. Do not be quick to dismiss this. For the first time in my diving life, I know every bolt, every screw, every stitch of my life support system. I can field strip this rig and assemble it again. I can make the most minute adjustments. Of course, it'll all change when it gets wet (!) but I can handle it.

4) Two tank bands, snugged down and the cylinder is rock solid. It ain't moving. I like the confidence that brings.

5) Halcylon's instructions blow. There are pictures all over the place of this thing finished, there are none that illustrate assembly to my satisfaction. Again, it forced me to really dig in and work with it. If I bought just the raw webbing and hardware and tried to do this 100% on my own, I'd be here until Sunday. That's because there are no real instructions... FIRST TIMERS - get the pre-assembled harness.

6) Its interesting to have my dive knife investment go from the $100 titanium pig sticker 2 years ago, to the $40 Wenoka BC knife the last 2 years, to my Food-4-Less 3 for $3.98 specials - nicked and rounded on the sidewalk. I have two to spare... THAT is funny. But this thing is a freekin' razor that will cut webbing, mono, spider wire or cave line better than all of the other knives I've had. Its just, well, utilitarian.

7) I have no idea how to tie off the knot to my Scout wanna-be light, I've seen three different snap bolt configurations for the long hose (Nylon, bungee and tie-wrap) and I'm still not sure if I really need a Butt ring. No knots illustrated clearly. Halcyon, get a hint. Yes, I've been to all the sites, as I've read hundreds of threads over the last month...without a support team (I am completely alone in this) some things are moving at a glacial pace.

8) The ACB rule. I like the design, I like the idea of having ditchable weight. I could put in a channel weight, a keel weight and with the Steel BP and cylinder I'd need no hip weight - but I want to be able to lighten the load if I need to do an ESA.

9) The screws that hold on the MC pad/pack don't tighten down...the thing sort of wiggles around. No worries if it was fastened with nylock nuts...I need to keep an eye on that thing.

Of course, I got it all together and realized I had the wing on backwards. Who'da thunk the logo faced in and not out, and the inflator faced out and not in....? Whatever - I needed to pull the tank bands, flip the wing, then try to remember how to thread the tank bands (Hacylon's site has nothing about threading these, of course... that added another 20 minutes to the project. Yes, I am that stoopid....)

My Z1 backup showed up tonight - that was surprising. eBay rules. Tomorrow my 22" necklace hose comes in, and I need to build the necklace - likely on the boat tomorrow night. I'll have a report when I get back about how this contraption dived over the weekend.

More soon. My brain hurt.

Hey - Post #200 as I finish my BP&W!

Cool, nice report!

Mo2vation once bubbled...

Of course, I got it all together and realized I had the wing on backwards. Who'da thunk the logo faced in and not out, and the inflator faced out and not in....? Whatever - I needed to pull the tank bands, flip the wing, then try to remember how to thread the tank bands (Hacylon's site has nothing about threading these, of course... that added another 20 minutes to the project. Yes, I am that stoopid....)

Uh, that just doesnt sound right... The logo on mine faces the back of my head. Best indication I can tell you of whether it's configured correctly is where the pull dump is located. Should be near your left hip.

Hint: if you have plastic camband locks, flip them over and look and see if the threading instructions are embossed on the edge of them anywhere. The ones that came on my TPII were like this and it saved a lot of aggravation until I memorized the threading sequence. Dunno if any other mfgs do this or not, but worth checking...

the inflator is now oriented correctly - it wasn't when I first got it together.

I have the new "Super Buckles" which I gather are the "1 piece" (they have the velcro). There is a 1, 2, 3 stamped on them, and that helped a lot with getting it together. Its like the SeaQuest threading, except its SS and not Plastic.

You will find that the 22" backup reg hose is too short. Depending on what regs you have and if single or doubles the hose will need to be 24-26".

omar

congrats on getting it together. Getting it pre-assembled would have been easier, but at least now you know how it fits together.

I think those numbers on the cam bands are great -- why didn't someone think of this before...;-)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom