Backplate hole not aligned with harness - Bad design or bad user?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

1 reason is if you have short chunks of webbing, it's still useable,

Well maybe you shouldn't use the cheapest and thinnest triglide.

The 1/8 thick ones will hold, your 130s stages, and yourself no problem...
Or you just use a single piece of webbing.

I have the same problem with a standard plate, long torso, long arms,
Is very hard to clip to the Dring etc.
Dropped my waist band slots.
Is so much better, and nicer,
Oh interesting! Maybe that's what I need to do then

Please do, we need another story :)
This is from the back, I can barely reach the top of the backplate so I know it's not too high:

signal-2023-08-02-114253_005.jpeg

This is how it looks without crotch strap - the red hole is my belly button. It really feels way too high

signal-2023-08-02-114253_004.jpeg

With crotch strap, it sits a bit lower, on the belly button, but that's still too high. I would never wear a weight belt this high for example.

signal-2023-08-02-114253_003.jpeg

Does it look normal?

From the previous posts, I take it this is fine but not the most confortable and the only way around it would be to extend the plate like @gone_for_diving did?

PS: Don't ask me why the blur on my butt, my phone did it by itself (maybe it looked like a face :D )

This is from the back, I can barely reach the top of the backplate so I know it's not too high:

View attachment 795173

This is how it looks without crotch strap - the red hole is my belly button. It really feels way too high

View attachment 795174

With crotch strap, it sits a bit lower, on the belly button, but that's still too high. I would never wear a weight belt this high for example.

View attachment 795175

Does it look normal?

From the previous posts, I take it this is fine but not the most confortable and the only way around it would be to extend the plate like @gone_for_diving did?

PS: Don't ask me why the blur on my butt, my phone did it by itself (maybe it looked like a face :D )
If you are tall, and with standard plate, hand can reach top of the plate may not be the right height. That is why a long plate exist. Hand reach top of plate is a good approximation for people diving double, they need to be able reach valve. For single, you have more room for tank position adjustment, so I don't necessary this hand reach plate rule must apply.

From the picture, I do think plate is a little high, maybe try low by 1-2" The crotch strap is too long. You should shorten it, so the weight strap form a V shape, pulling down by crotch strap. The left shoulder d-ring is a too high, even the right shoulder d-ring can be low by a bit.

Looks to me shoulder straps way to tight....add a wet suit it will be terrible. And more restrictive,
Should be easy to get arms in and out.

View attachment 795173

View attachment 795174

View attachment 795175

Does it look normal?

The plate can go lower and the crotch strap can be tighter and the shoulder straps looser.

The spare double ender is on the wrong d-ring and they're both to high.

Thanks for the comments guys!

Will try to lower the plate and tighten the crotch strap. Fair point on the hand reach for singles.

Shoulder straps feel ok, a bit tight but not too tight, as recommended in the video that someone posted on this thread from Inner Space Explorers. I did try with the wetsuit.

I'll try again with lower D rings but this is what felt the easier to clip things.

I'm not home for the next 2 weeks but will try when I get back and report back :)

I'll try again with lower D rings but this is what felt the easier to clip things.
Go with easy clipping. I prefer the ring by my collarbone when standing. Lower, and it digs into my arm if I reach across my chest.

The proper positioning of D-rings is beautiful in its simplicity:
1. Make hitch hiking fists with thumbs poking up.
2. Close eyes.
3. Bend elbows and touch webbing with thumbs.
This is where you fix the center of D-ring.
Now, when you bend elbow to clip, your thumb/index finger naturally falls on D-ring. :thumb:

I have a similar issue, I am trying to attach a Dive Rite Tech Butt Plate to a Hollis Back plate and the holes are not lining up. What is the best solution ?

I have a similar issue, I am trying to attach a Dive Rite Tech Butt Plate to a Hollis Back plate and the holes are not lining up. What is the best solution ?
Pictures?
top of my head, 3 options
1. Get a Hollis butt plate (not sure if there is such a thing)
2 trade for a DR back plate
3. Drill as needed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom