That DiveCaddy carry on bag? any reviews?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What is the Dive Caddy made out of, material-wise?

I'm just curious if it is thick/sturdy enough to resist tears and what not from being hoisted into overhead compartments and rubbing up against other luggage in there.

Does anyone have experience using the dive caddy with a full set of cold water gear? I would want to pack fins, a BC, a set of regs, hood, gloves, rock boots, undergarment, and a dry suit. Would all of that stuff fit in that bag? How heavy is it to carry? Any insight is appreciated, I am having a hard time finding a bag that will carry all of that stuff.

I have used the Dive Caddy for a Warm Water Wuss rig. (3 mil wet suit, fins, vest type BC, reg, booties, computer, log book, etc). Diving dry, I would have two sets of regs, wing, bp, rock boots, dry suit, undergarments, etc. I think that might be too much to go into the Dive Caddy. But I have NOT tried to pack all of that stuff into the Caddy. In my opinion, it would be a stretch.

I spent a weekend on Catalina Island in So. California. I took all my dive gear in the DiveCaddy. I took a 7mm ScubaPro Steamer, hood, hard sole boots, gloves, a rash guard, a ScubaPro Knighthawk BCD, and a regulator with console, fins and regulator. In the turtle bag I carried my mask, SMB and spool, slate and wrist computer. In the spider bag I carried my towel, walking shorts, underwear, t-shirt and a long sleeve t-shirt. I am 6'0" and weigh 210.

It was a large package when I had it all together. I must say it was larger by far than when I carry my 3 mm full wet suit. I do not have a dry suit so I can't say if it will pack small enough for your needs.

I like my DiveCaddy and plan to buy another one for my wife to use with her gear.

It is not a quick, simple thing to pack. A larger, zip open, suitcase type would be quicker and easier with wet gear, or when packing up after a day of diving to go back home. The thing to consider with a larger bag with a frame is what to do with it if you are on a boat dive and have to take everything with you. The DiveCaddy shine then because it is very compact to stow.

Hope this helps.

Review from another thread
I used mine on my trip last week. It didn't pack as nicely as they demonstrated in the video. After packing it I had to push and roll it a bit to flatten out the back. The bag was a little too long to fit in the overhead bin straight on. Ended up taking off the turtle bag, putting the big bag in sideways and putting the turtle pack in front of it.

I packed it with my dive gear and put some diving clothing in the spider bag. Was nice having that with me. On the way home I decided to check the bag and everything held up well.

On the way there I did get stopped at security and they opened it up. They just wanted to see the regulator and dive computer. Took a few minutes to redo it afterwards.

Would love to have this bag, but I have to carry on all my camera equipment in a backpack too. Guess I could just put my reg and computer in separate bag that I can carry on as my personal item and then check the Dive Caddy with everything else in it.

Hi Desert Diver,

You're right on... Very large cold water gear is a bit of a stretch, but some configurations are do-able.

I recently traveled to Tahoe with my dry setup:

XXL Pinnacle Freedom 2
250G Pinnacle under garment
Whites' EVO3 size 12 tactical boots
XL Oceanic splits
Zeagle Ranger XL w/ Air2
Regs and lots of misc little stuff.

It all fit into the system very snugly. The key to making the dry setup work is to put the dry suit in the Spiderbag and the undergarment inside the main bag where the wetsuit usually goes.

I just unbuckled 3 of the SpiderBag buckles allowing the SpiderBag to slip behind the main bag and slid the system the rest of the way into the overhead compartment.

Check out a new info.pdf we put together that compares other high end bags with the DiveCaddy and breaks down the whole airport experience.

http://www.divecaddy.net/DiveCaddyInfo.pdf

Large, one piece wetsuits (8mil) pose more of an issue than a lot of dry suits. 2 piece 8mils work great... One piece in the SpiderBag, one piece in the main bag.

Feel free to contact our office via post, email or phone with any cares, questions.

Happy travels,

Chad
DiveCaddy

Last edited by a moderator:
I like the looks of this bag. I am looking for a backpack system to carry most of my expensive and personal gear on airplanes and boat trips.

The bag is really very very close to the limit on most airlines for total size and weight. I guess that is why the website goes through all the discussion on how to not get caught with the bag boading the plane. I can see where I will fit MOST large airplane overhead compartments but I doubt it would work under the seat in front of you. But even then....they will stuff it somewhere on the plane and give it back to you when you get off. Still, not a bad option as opposed to risk your stuff ending up thousands of miles away from your destination or stolen along the way.

Very nice bag for the money.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom