That DiveCaddy carry on bag? any reviews?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ladyvalea

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I really like the idea of this divecaddy backpack for a short 3 day dive trip! and that its TSA carry on friendly? But I can't find any reviews on this bag. and if it will hold XL Apollo split bio fins and Atmos XL BCD ....I just want something that I can carry on and hop of the plane without checkin my luggage... Thanks Dive Caddy - The Worlds Smartest Dive Bag System!

I don't know about the Dive Caddy specifically, but your XL Apollo splits are about 29" long, so that alone may skew the carry-on measurements against you. Just a thought.

Henrik

I haven't seen the Dive Caddy in person, as it were, but check out the website's video. It's kinda long, but very comprehensive, and it looks as if it really works. The demonstration includes all standard equipment for a 6-ft man, including Atomic splits, which are longer than Apollos. I'll be visiting the Long Beach Scuba show at the end of May, and they'll be there. I plan to see for myself if it's all it's cracked up to be. If you like, I'll pm you with a firsthand review.

I have reviewed the dive caddy in previous posts.

I took all my gear to Maui, including a full 3 mil wetsuit and hard booties. My Aqualung fins are 26 inches long and are about the longest the caddy will handle. I liked the features and had room to spare when I put it in the overhead storage on the aircraft.

I heartily recommend it as a great bag for travel with dive gear.

Watch the videos to see how to pack it.

The DiveCaddy got a favorable mention in an article or sidebar in a recent Alert Diver magazine.

For a liveaboard, you can probably use almost any kind of bag since you likely will set your gear up once and tuck the empty bag away under your berth (bed). Soft sides / duffle would just make the empty smaller.

If you say what liveaboard company, I'm sure you can get some first-hand responses about how that boat runs.

-Rob

For a liveaboard, you can probably use almost any kind of bag since you likely will set your gear up once and tuck the empty bag away under your berth (bed). Soft sides / duffle would just make the empty smaller.
Making it smaller is important - anything large and rigid probably won't fit in the space under the bed. Some boats will have space somewhere to stash large rigid bags or have a place on shore but best just to avoid the problem.

When people say use soft luggage on liveaboards the point is that it mostly collapses, typically this is something duffel like.
A "soft-sided" suitcase doesn't really collapse any more than hard-sided so doesn't help. The other things about duffels besides collapsing is that they're usually longer and narrower. Some may have a rigid bottom but the shape tends to fit better in the space under most beds or berths.

The DiveCaddy is made of all soft material. It will fold up and then roll into a smaller package.

It is very well thought out and is quality made.

It becomes a rigid backpack because of the BCD placed inside. The other gear gives it shape.

When my wife and I traveled to Hawaii, I used the DiveCaddy and she used a conventional carryon bag for her regulator. She was stopped and the carryon was filleted by TSA because they saw a regulator in her bag. I had all my gear in the DiveCaddy and the same person recognized the bag and I sailed through inspection. I had my shoes back on and was waiting while they swabbed my wife's carry on for explosive residue.

We were both amused and i now am going to order her a DiveCaddy for our trip to the Mayan Riviera in November.

I have taken the Dive Caddy on a couple of trips (Fiji and Thailand). I want my important dive gear (prescription mask, dive computer, regs, logbook, prescription meds, etc) to travel with me in my possession. I use the Dive Caddy in backpack format and one carry-on bag. Clothes and other expendable stuff go in the checked bag. I use Mares Volo fins and they fit nicely in the dive caddy. I use a Mares Vector 1000 BC (vest type BC with integrated weight pockets). I have had no problems. Unless you count the TSA vacuum heads that want it open but can't figure out how to close it again. (I suspect that you have to fail an intelligence test to qualify for one of those jobs).

Did you have any specific questions about the Dive Caddy? In general, I give it a thumbs up.

Art

That is a nice looking bag system. I was kinda looking at the Destination or the Ocean Pack from Aqualung, but this looks much better.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom