Thailand or Philippines?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tropical Jill

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
We are planning a trip (possibly in October) and are having a hard time figuring out whether to go to Thailand or the Philippines. There is so much information out there and it's hard to decifer. Where is the better diving...Thailand or the Philippines? My husband wants to dive with big fish, I prefer smaller more colorful fish. If there is anyway we could get the best of both worlds, that'd be great!

We are equally open to either country, but want to have the best diving experience we can. Please help!

All I can say to you is that both countries are excellent choices for a diving holiday.
In Thailand the best diving can only be done by liveaboard though (Andaman Sea between October and May). In the Philippines most of the best diving can be done by day-trip.

Some other important considerations:
The Philippines has very tasty and very cheap beer. (Cheaper than in Thailand)
Thailand has better food than the Philippines.

Which is better? That's a tough one. As Bowmouth says, you can't go too far wrong with either, but it might make your choice easier to pick out a few dive spots in each that appeal to you, speak to a few dive centres and get some specific feedback on those spots and then decide from there.

From Thailand's west coast, if you take a liveaboard, you can also get up to Burma as well as the Similans and visit the Mergui Archipelago which is an exciting option. There is also very good day diving around Ko Phi Phi and Ko Lanta further south if you prefer that option.

The Philippines gives you quite an array of dive spots to choose from as I'm sure you're gathering. A couple of suggestions that might suit both you and your husband though are Bohol or Puerto Galera. Both have a wide variety of dive spots within quite a small area which should keep you both happy. Southern Leyte is also a great spot for Whaleshark sightings, which might be right up your husband's street.

If any of those appeal, one other thing you could consider is making a trip in November, or at least late October as it might give you better weather.

Don't feel like you have to go down the liveaboard trip or nothing route, there is a wealth of great diving here on the west coast. If you want a resort location, you can enjoy liveaboards, overnight trips for big fish encounters or day trips as you like.:D

I've lived and worked as a scuba instructor in both countries (Thailand and Philippines). IMHO, Philippines has far more impressive diving... of every type...

WRECK - Coron and Subic
REEF - Puerto Galera, Bohol, Cebu, Palawan
LIVEABOARD - Tubbataha (UNESCO World Heritage Site as a coral reef)
PELAGIC - Donsol (virtually guaranteed whalesharks!), Malapascua (thresher shark cleaning station).

In general, most of the Phils sites offer chances of whaleshark, reef shark, manta and hammerhead encounters. Also, the macro life is on a whole other level when compared to all but the most expensive/innaccesable liveaboard sites in Thailand.

Thanks everyone for all your input. It is greatly appreciated. I think we have decided Philippines is where we are going. We have narrowed it to Dumaguete, Bohol and then, wherever our travels may take us.

We are thinking of "winging it" for most of our trip, without making many reservations and going where it feels right and people recommend (once we get there). That is not like us at all, we are usually BIG planners. But it seems the Philippines has a more laid back feel, and we might just go with the flow... Hopefully it works!

Since we are going mid October, and the high season hasn't quite kicked in yet we are hoping this is an OK decision. Any thoughts? Originally we were going to go for 2 weeks, but now it seems a shame to fly around the world and only stay for 2 weeks, so we might go for 3(we both got laid off and will be traveling on a budget, but heck, this is the time to do it since we don’t have to "ask" for time off, right???)

Again, we really appreciate everyone’s feedback. This site is great and so helpful. :D

Thanks everyone for all your input. It is greatly appreciated. I think we have decided Philippines is where we are going. We have narrowed it to Dumaguete, Bohol and then, wherever our travels may take us.

We are thinking of "winging it" for most of our trip, without making many reservations and going where it feels right and people recommend (once we get there). That is not like us at all, we are usually BIG planners. But it seems the Philippines has a more laid back feel, and we might just go with the flow... Hopefully it works!

Since we are going mid October, and the high season hasn't quite kicked in yet we are hoping this is an OK decision. Any thoughts? Originally we were going to go for 2 weeks, but now it seems a shame to fly around the world and only stay for 2 weeks, so we might go for 3(we both got laid off and will be traveling on a budget, but heck, this is the time to do it since we don’t have to "ask" for time off, right???)

Again, we really appreciate everyone’s feedback. This site is great and so helpful. :D
Hi Jill,

although you decided on the PI for this trip, Thailand is a great place to visit and it would be great for you to head back to SEAsia in the future to experience it.

I suggest you browse the Philippine Paradise Divers sub-forum: Philippine Paradise Divers - ScubaBoard on the different locales you can visit in the PI and post a new thread over there if you have any further questions. Cheers.

go to bohal, say at the oasis resort. the rooms near the dive center are brand new. You will not be dissapointed! Very laid back. diving is great!

Thailand and Philipines are both great dive destinations, but Thailand gets the vote from me because the food is great and the girls more friendly.

One place you could consider which in my mind is a far better dive destination than both is Sipadan. Put a search in google and see what you think about it. Personally it is one of my favourite dive destinations, and has all manner of marine life.

Wherever you chose to go, ensure you go at the right time of year so you can get the most from the diving. Most of the diving in this part of the world is seasonal.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom