Tether or not tether

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

i think you explained yourself fine. and i think everyone here understands what you are asking. i also think that it seems everyone is trying to provide you with some good advise. that advise is.....do not use a tether (or buddy line or whatever you want to call it)....not under any circumstances.

i think you explained yourself fine. and i think everyone here understands what you are asking. i also think that it seems everyone is trying to provide you with some good advise. that advise is.....do not use a tether (or buddy line or whatever you want to call it)....not under any circumstances.
It was just an idea. From what I have read, I don’t think that I will be using a buddy line. Not enough educated feedback but no positive feedback either.

It was just an idea. From what I have read, I don’t think that I will be using a buddy line. Not enough educated feedback but no positive feedback either.
There was plenty of educated feedback, it just wasn't positive.

f
in fairness i think there was plenty of reasons given as to why people feel this is unecessary and may even be dangerous.
it is usually frowned upon (for good reason) to add extra equipment to solve what essentially is a training problem.
that is not meant to be disrespectful. it is only to say that if you are that concerned about your wifes ability to handle certain bad situations, the answer should be to get her some qualified training and experience so she is capable and confident.
the answer should not be to add something that may have a higher probability to cause a serious problem rather than prevent one.
i completely understand why you had the idea in first place. and i actually like to see people think outside the box. thats how we all learn what works and what doesn't.
but in this case i think the concensus is pretty clear that the tether idea (even if it is only under certain circumstances) is not a good one.
i would consider looking into what a couple of people have mentioned......carrying what most people call a reef hook. perhaps that may give you some peace of mind.

f

in fairness i think there was plenty of reasons given as to why people feel this is unecessary and may even be dangerous.
it is usually frowned upon (for good reason) to add extra equipment to solve what essentially is a training problem.
that is not meant to be disrespectful. it is only to say that if you are that concerned about your wifes ability to handle certain bad situations, the answer should be to get her some qualified training and experience so she is capable and confident.
the answer should not be to add something that may have a higher probability to cause a serious problem rather than prevent one.
i completely understand why you had the idea in first place. and i actually like to see people think outside the box. thats how we all learn what works and what doesn't.
but in this case i think the concensus is pretty clear that the tether idea (even if it is only under certain circumstances) is not a good one.
i would consider looking into what a couple of people have mentioned......carrying what most people call a reef hook. perhaps that may give you some peace of mind.
That’s why I said that I probably did not express myself well. I was not thinking of a difficult situation that you see coming. More about something that happens in a split second without warning and when you realize, it is too late. We have reef hooks that we use while drift diving. Bad idea but it happens.

That’s why I said that I probably did not express myself well. I was not thinking of a difficult situation that you see coming. More about something that happens in a split second without warning and when you realize, it is too late. We have reef hooks that we use while drift diving. Bad idea but it happens.
yes i do understand you are looking for some type of protection from something that could happen without warning.
perhaps you feel a reef hook may not be what you are looking for.
i think you may be looking for a solution to a problem that may never happen. and although i appreciate the effort to try and be prepared for any scenario, i truly believe the advice you have been given is the best advice.
be well trained.
don't dive these type of sites until you both are confident in yourselves and each other.
discuss how to handle strong current and possible down currents with the dive guide.
discuss the guides advise with your buddy.
have a solid dive and gas plan.
stay close to your buddy (i always recommend about two arm lengths).
if the sh*t hits the fan try to stay calm, control your breathing, think about how to react, then act.
that is really all that any of us can do.

Ok but I would appreciate if you could explain why. You might ne right but you don’t give me any clue.
People told you already why it’s a bad idea: current and line is likely to tangle you.

If you want to do it, at least get cutting tools accessible from the wrist or something and maybe use something like a jon line but not clipping to each other?

People told you already why it’s a bad idea: current and line is likely to tangle you.

If you want to do it, at least get cutting tools accessible from the wrist or something and maybe use something like a jon line but not clipping to each other?
I might have overthought this one :)

@Dody

I wish to apologize for my fellow SB members who are so lacking in knowledge as the solution is simple:

SPEARGUN!!!!

If she starts to drift away, shoot her and reel her back in! You're welcome.

In all seriousness, the fact that she is so inexperienced makes this dive location a bad idea. I suggest diving elsewhere.

Back
Top Bottom