Tether or not tether

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dody

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello. I am travelling to the Maldives for a few dives. One of the locations we want to go is prone to strong currents horizontally and vertically. Rarely but it happens. Nothing that really bothers me. I can handle it. However, I will dive with my wife as a buddy and even though she is Advanced with 50+ dives, she is not as experienced as me. She is a good rec diver and probably more comfortable than me in the water (she is a natural) but I am not sure that she would do the right thing with a down, up or rip current. She does not like strong surges while I love it. She can get seasick under water while I am immune. Some advanced diver would not cope with that anyway. I might be overly cautious but… So, my question is: would a tether be a good thing so that no matter what happens, we don’t get separated and I can assist? There is 90% chances that the dive will be eventless but you never know and she 100% want to do the dive so she is not stressed. What is the best course of action? Saying call the dive would get you a 0 😉.

You could carry a "Jon Line" if you are so concerned but I wouldn't use one unless the circumstances were really drastic.

The only time I used mine was to clip off onto mooring line in severe current when doing a long deco.

Hello. I am travelling to the Maldives for a few dives. One of the locations we want to go is prone to strong currents horizontally and vertically. Rarely but it happens. Nothing that really bothers me. I can handle it. However, I will dive with my wife as a buddy and even though she is Advanced with 50+ dives, she is not as experienced as me. She is a good rec diver and probably more comfortable than me in the water (she is a natural) but I am not sure that she would do the right thing with a down, up or rip current. She does not like strong surges while I love it. She can get seasick under water while I am immune. Some advanced diver would not cope with that anyway. I might be overly cautious but… So, my question is: would a tether be a good thing so that no matter what happens, we don’t get separated and I can assist? There is 90% chances that the dive will be eventless but you never know and she 100% want to do the dive so she is not stressed. What is the best course of action? Saying call the dive would get you a 0 😉.
A tether between two divers is likely to cause an accident more than a current, and probably even more so with a line in a strong current. Lines and ocean diving usually don't mix well.

I'd practice what to do before the trip. I'd voice my concern with the operator before hand and get their feedback. I'd make sure the operator evaluates the conditions prior to splashing and then use your best judgment as to if you and the wife are comfortable diving.

Remember, as long as you're breathing everything is okay. So perhaps just add some extra safety measures in your gas planning. This way if someone got caught in a current they can feel confident they already accounted for it.

Agree with above. Tethering you to her may hinder your ability to provide assistance.

If you think/suspect that she is too weak to do the dive and/or you are too weak to provide reasonable assistance in an emergency, then probably better to pick a different location that is more within the buddy TEAM's ability. Weakest link and all that.

A tether between two divers is likely to cause an accident more than a current, and probably even more so with a line in a strong current. Lines and ocean diving usually don't mix well.

I'd practice what to do before the trip. I'd voice my concern with the operator before hand and get their feedback. I'd make sure the operator evaluates the conditions prior to splashing and then use your best judgment as to if you and the wife are comfortable diving.

Remember, as long as you're breathing everything is okay. So perhaps just add some extra safety measures in your gas planning. This way if someone got caught in a current they can feel confident they already accounted for it.
that says it all

i think one agency teaches (or perhaps they taught in the past) to use a tether during ice dives. personally, although i understand why you might want to expore that idea, i would never do it under any circumstances.

But if you are breathing out of control in a strong current it may not be long before you out of breath

i think one agency teaches (or perhaps they taught in the past) to use a tether during ice dives. personally, although i understand why you might want to expore that idea, i would never do it under any circumstances.
The tether in ice diving is principally from the divers to the surface tender, only incidentally between the divers.

In the context of strong currents, 50 dives in milder conditions is nowhere near advanced. However, tethering to you may not be the best idea. If you are the one caught in the current, her being dragged along for the ride could be far more problematic. What about hiring a private dive guide who you both have confidence in helping to avoid a problem and assisting if something does happen?

The tether in ice diving is principally from the divers to the surface tender, only incidentally between the divers.
sorry but i am not sure i understand your comment.

i am familiar with having a diver tethered to the surface by a line, but i was referring to a practice where one diver of a buddy pair is tethered to the surface, and the buddy pair is then also tethered together.

sorry but i am not sure i understand your comment.

i am familiar with having a diver tethered to the surface by a line, but i was referring to a practice where one diver of a buddy pair is tethered to the surface, and the buddy pair is then also tethered together.
The OP wants to know about tethering himself to his wife, which It seems we all agree is a bad idea. You responded that in ice diving there is a tether. I replied that the ice-diving tether is mainly to the surface, only incidentally to each other. That's all.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom